scroadload

Where is George Jicha???

Back in the mid 70's we had a guy show up at our field in Grafton Ohio who wanted to start jumping. I can't recall all the details but he and I did some jumps, went skiing, climbing, repelling and some spelunking together. Then he went into the Army and became a Ranger, was stationed in Hawaii for a while. Me, I got married, quit jumping and lost track of this new guy. Well now 30 years later I'm getting back into jumping and I hear this new guy is world renown skydiver George Jicha! George are you out there???????
D-2626, SCR1999, SCS641, NSCR2350, GW6909

Blue Skies!!!!!!

George isn't retired from jumping, he's just busy with other things right now. For example, he's currently assigned with the Army National Guard in NC where he is preparing for an 18mos+ deployment in Afghanistan.

PM me your contact information and I'll forward it to him.

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

No Chuck, he has never benched me.You sound like you know from experience though!George's intolerance of less than perfect flying has contributed to more skydivers leaving the sport than probably anyone that I have ever heard about or know. See Chuck, back in the 1990's Jerkoff was the only top shelf organizer that we had at Eloy.If a jumper wasnt in with the skygods, then they would have to settle for average loads or quit because the challenges werent there consistantly.

>George's intolerance of less than perfect flying has contributed
>to more skydivers leaving the sport than probably anyone that I
>have ever heard about or know.

His "intolerance" of less than perfect flying contributed to me becoming a much better skydiver. I learned a lot from him, and I never once experienced him being "intolerant" of someone who had less skill than he did, outside of record attempts where he (and the other organizers) cut people for poor performance.

Of course, I could see a few people not seeing it that way. Few people like to be cut from something, but most skydivers take it well.

I have to "agree" with Rob.

George was perhaps the last of the 'SKY GODS'.

A poor discription of the mentality of an era.

Sky God was'nt just a name then, it was an attitude. The attitude we now recognize as detrimental to the growth of our sport. It, (the attitude), at the time, was a fundamental support structure for enhanching big way skydiving. Dan and George were the tag-team brothers of growing big way stuff. Dan loved everybody and George scrutenized everybody. It worked. Big way is BIG. So history will show, Dan is everybody's hero and freind, and George is most everybody's asshole.

So it is. And thus spoke Mark!

To those new to our sport/commercial environment, let me explain that in past years, the 'family' concept was universal.

This recent issue, past fifteen years or so, of everyone and his brother thinking they should get paid for being friendly and helpful, is ananthem to lots of older skydivers.

There was a 'cultural shock' of sorts, when many folk discovered that the fees charged for big way and other events, were producing income for a few organizers .

In today's world, we see nothing wrong with this, but understand that, yesturday, we trusted our fellow and leading breatheren to treat us all better than this. It shocked many of us, and hurts to this day.

We're over it and accept the new order, but we "remember when."

You guys need some cheese for your "whine"...

George mostly organized big ways or the "Mission Impossible" invitationals. He also helped Airspeed start the Arizona Challenge during Memorial Day weekends.

His demeanor was more military than laid back...and he sure as hell yelled at less jumpers than Sandy McRobbie!

His style worked on the jumps as evidenced by the 100way jewel success and some incredible formations during the MI camps.

He created a pretty good freeflyer also, after Fritz almost took out the entire base of an 80 way many years ago, and got benched...lucky for me..I got his slot. And Fritz went to jump with Omar.

George used to intimidate some people, but only the ones that didn't get to know him. He is actually easy going and has a good sense of humor.

Making some money for putting up with a bunch of skydivers...I guarantee it wasn't enough for what he put up with!

Ditto Bill. ;)

I learned alot from being on George's skydives when I had only 400 or so jumps. His intolerance of bad skydiving made you stress at times, but also work to be a much better skydiver. His Mission Impossible skydives were the best.
But like some jumpers say, you either liked him, or hated him.
I'd jump with George agian anytime.... ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

No Chuck, he has never benched me.You sound like you know from experience though!George's intolerance of less than perfect flying has contributed to more skydivers leaving the sport than probably anyone that I have ever heard about or know. See Chuck, back in the 1990's Jerkoff was the only top shelf organizer that we had at Eloy.If a jumper wasnt in with the skygods, then they would have to settle for average loads or quit because the challenges werent there consistantly.

I don't quite get it. You say George is a "top self" organizer, yet you also say he wouldn't put up with "less than perfect flying". Huh??

Ya know, where I come from, if you can skydive with the best, you should be a pretty good organizer too. Why don't you put your own "top shelf" loads together? Then you can read complaints about yourself on dz.com from the whiney go-low types too!

my most memorable visit to any dz was at eloy christmas boogie - george took me with only a couple hundred jumps and taught me more in one week than i've ever learned anywere else - he was always happy but wanted the best - he even was a little humble when he forgot his slot on the sunset load whith our 12 way - hey george do you remember the " where's george dive ?"

You guys need to let it go...I'm on my way to Afghanistan to take care of more important issues than skydiving.

Every decision made as an organizer was done to 1) accommodate everyone's skill set & desires, and 2) have a successful skydive. I think my record supports a certain ability in this area.

If, at any time, you found the intensity & effort I brought to organizing some of the best medium to large skydives in the sport inappropriate, then I apologize.

I have not retired - after I return from combat operations I plan to return to skydiving...but leave the organizing to others.

George Jicha

p.s. John Vanderschrier...give me a call, (phone number removed by slotperfect & sent to John V. via PM). It'll be great talking to you again!!

I have not retired - after I return from combat operations I plan to return to skydiving...but leave the organizing to others.

Sorry George, I do still remember something coming out back then, but I didn't get the facts straight.

Good luck and be careful.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban