2shay

how bout new rip cords

This is already being discussed at length in the Gear and Rigging forum sticky thread

Ironically or at least differently, JumpShack has a new, much thinner and stronger steel cable ripcord that is very soft and pliable, but doesn't kink, and allows for significantly smaller diameter housings.

While the particular design of my Retractable Reserve Ripcord is new, the materials used (Spectra, bungee cord, and stainless steel housing) are identical to those used in my Sigma main ripcord, which has been in use in thousands of Sigmas for over 6 years now. Plus, all RWS RSL's have been Spectra for around 10 years now. I think the materials and basic design have been very well tested indeed.

How much stronger is your reserve pin than the standard?

I can't understand why the wimpy standard pin hasn't been made obsolete. I think they shouldn't bend even if you lean against something (such as a narrow frame of an airplane structure) really hard.

I think jumpers would be willing to pay a lot more for that, if marketed properly.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Did you consider whether the bungee feeling might turn off some people, just because it might convey a feeling of being not 'solid'?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Did you consider whether the bungee feeling might turn off some people, just because it might convey a feeling of being not 'solid'?

All ripcords have slack. The "bungee feeling" of my new recoil ripcord goes away after you pull it just 3-4". It is then just as solid as steel, and comes completely out of the housing.

I couldn't tell from the video what the "pin" end of the ripcord is like so I could have a good understand of how the pin is attached. Is it possible to get a picture of it?

Thanks, Ian
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

While the particular design of my Retractable Reserve Ripcord is new, the materials used (Spectra, bungee cord, and stainless steel housing) are identical to those used in my Sigma main ripcord, which has been in use in thousands of Sigmas for over 6 years now. Plus, all RWS RSL's have been Spectra for around 10 years now. I think the materials and basic design have been very well tested indeed.

like it. lighter, cheaper and durable. is it patented and exclusive to RWS (or new name)?

rm

Ironically or at least differently, JumpShack has a new, much thinner and stronger steel cable ripcord that is very soft and pliable, but doesn't kink, and allows for significantly smaller diameter housings.

Jump Shack Ripcords http://www.jcometals.com/

Parachute Laboratories, Inc.
Deland Florida

email: [email protected]
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I couldn't tell from the video what the "pin" end of the ripcord is like so I could have a good understand of how the pin is attached. Is it possible to get a picture of it?

Thanks, Ian

The pin is the same one we've been using for the past 15 years. It looks something like a standard hand deploy pilot chute curved pin. It is stamped out of a solid plate of stainless steel...no joints. The new ripcord simply loops over it. There must be a picture of it on the UPTVector web site somewhere.

There must be a picture of [the curved reserve pin] on the UPTVector web site somewhere.

The Sigma manual (pdf , 3.5Mb) has a few pictures. Page 22 shows an uninstalled RSL; pages 24 and 32 show what it looks like installed.

Mark

like it. lighter, cheaper and durable.

Plus, you will be pulling a reserve pin from the running start, because of the "slack", similar as in the standard reserve cable. So that functionality is retained, with the advantage that the "slack" is not dangling below inside the reserve handle (read: end of cable with a ball).

Also, on the slack issie, from Bill Booth in 2004:

"I have learned that if you pull "quickly", from a "running start" (slack in the cable), the pull force necessary to open the same reserve container is up to 300% lower than if you apply the force gradually to the handle. Most riggers only have a spring loaded fish scale, and therefore must apply pull forces gradually in order to read the scale. So, what reads 30 pounds on the fish scale in the loft, will only be around 10 pounds when you actually pull your reserve in an emergency, because I don't know of anyone who applies ripcord pull force "gradually" while falling rapidly toward the earth."

Hi Bill,

Is it nerve-racking to put your work in front of thousands of critics, and nay-sayers and set back and wait for the questions?

Here's my try: What if the reserve handle end of the bungee becomes detached? Will the bungee bunch up in the "housing" and bind the rip-cord?

Thanks,
Ken

What if the reserve handle end of the bungee becomes detached? Will the bungee bunch up in the "housing" and bind the rip-cord?

The ripcord is made from braided line like your suspension lines, not metal aircraft cable like most other ripcords. The bungee is fingertrapped and bartacked inside the braided line. In the unlikely event that one of the bartacks failed, the strength of the ripcord would be unaffected.

Mark

What if the reserve handle end of the bungee becomes detached? Will the bungee bunch up in the "housing" and bind the rip-cord?

The ripcord is made from braided line like your suspension lines, not metal aircraft cable like most other ripcords. The bungee is fingertrapped and bartacked inside the braided line. In the unlikely event that one of the bartacks failed, the strength of the ripcord would be unaffected.

Mark

Right, however, not concerned about the ripcord strength. Wondering more about the detached bungee interfering with the movement of the ripcord.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=79424;

See pic, the 'fatter' part of the blue line is the bungee section...

The elastic bungee in internal to the braided line, it can't become detached.

It could however become less 'bungee' I guess, still wouldn't effect the strength.
... but then again, Bill made the comment that it was still up to par after 100,000 'stretches'...

AND as said above, the current housing configuration could be done away with altogether, going with a soft 'housing' or channel that the RC would be in.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~