A-Train

Is it possible to skyjump from an airliner?

Any idea of somehow "repelling" free and clear of the plane while in flight is flawed by the fact that the person would be pummeled to death by the wind repeatedly bashing him into the fuselage.

Repelling would only, in my estimation, make the entire endeavor much worse for the person attempting it and much more amusing to anyone else reading about it.

Sign the guy up for a Darwin Award for terrorists.

You don't know anything, they can do it in the movies, duh:S, don't know what movie, but I'm sure I've seen one where someone is crawling around on top of a flying passenger jet.:D
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

Randsom idea, but couldn't you wear a wingsuit? The lift you get at the speed that a jet flys may give you +ve lift, enabling you to clear the top of the tail of the plane. Essentailly flying over it and allowing the plane to overtake you underneath you. Quite some stunt and i would assume several hundread wingsuit flights needed. But i must say, when i first saw the question, it too struck me as a bit odd.

Randsom idea, but couldn't you wear a wingsuit? The lift you get at the speed that a jet flys may give you +ve lift, enabling you to clear the top of the tail of the plane. Essentailly flying over it and allowing the plane to overtake you underneath you. Quite some stunt and i would assume several hundread wingsuit flights needed. But i must say, when i first saw the question, it too struck me as a bit odd.

You want to try climbing out the cockpit window of a 757, being buffeted by 200+mph winds while wearing a wingsuit?

Rather you than me bro!;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I have been doing research into elite commando operations, and have this question:

Is it conceivable possible to successfully jump out of the side cockpit window of a Boeing 757

Why would one want to do that? I am not for certain which 'elite commando operations' your looking into, but to my understanding, the Force Reconnaissance Marines I knew that were HALO/HAHO certified tended to jump from aircraft that had rear-hatches and whatnot (C-130s, C-5s, etc).

Then again, I was a groundpounder..so what do I know.:S

Reminds me of a couple of pictures from Perris' Bombshelter. I never did ask what event this was, but I found it very cool (See attachment)

-b

Here's another example of extreme floaters, there is a rope ladder hanging down from the door, and a rope going from the door back quite a ways toward the tail. I think there are at least 28:
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

But i must say, when i first saw the question, it too struck me as a bit odd.

I think mnealtx is on the right track. Statements like "Leading skydiving experts have confirmed that it would be possible to jump undetected out of the cockpit window of the 757 moments before it crashed into the Pentagon. One expert even attempted to provide us with a digital photograph proving it could be done, but the ECHELON system destroyed the photograph." are probably being written as we speak.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Not directly applicable to the question, but I just thought I'd post this picture of what I did yesterday:

Since there's no photo, can we assume you did nothing?:P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thank you for all the thoughtful comments and insights. I can conclude that it is next to impossible to skyjump from the cockpit window.

Now let me ask a revised version of the same question. How about jumping from the escape hatch located at the bottom of the fuselage of the same plane? You would be jumping straight down out of the plane, with no chance therefore to hit the wings. Here is a photo of the escape hatch I am referring to:

http://home.earthlink.net/~aerocon/airstair/Aerocon%20Crew%20Ladder%202p.jpg

How about jumping from the escape hatch located at the bottom of the fuselage of the same plane?

Among the various Boeing/Douglas/Lockheed/Airbus airliners, only the 727 and the DC-9 and its later variants have such a hatch at the rear - bottom. The 727 could be opened in flight until D.B. Cooper's escapade, now there are interlocks to prevent anyone from being able to open it in flight. The 727 opening was for the purpose of providing stairs for passengers to board, the DC-9 opening was only for emergency escape purposes, and first involves releasing the tail cone structure. Perris' plane of course flies without the tail cone. I don't know measures were also taken to prevent a DC-9 door from being operated post-D.B Cooper.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>mong the various Boeing/Douglas/Lockheed/Airbus airliners, only the 727
>and the DC-9 and its later variants have such a hatch at the rear - bottom.

I would add that the e-bay in the MD-80 is accessible through the cockpit, and you could conceivably get the exterior hatch open once in there. It's a tight fit, though, and not all aircraft have the cockpit hatch. It's also well forward of the wings.

How about jumping from the escape hatch located at the bottom of the fuselage of the same plane?

Among the various Boeing/Douglas/Lockheed/Airbus airliners, only the 727 and the DC-9 and its later variants have such a hatch at the rear - bottom. The 727 could be opened in flight until D.B. Cooper's escapade, now there are interlocks to prevent anyone from being able to open it in flight. The 727 opening was for the purpose of providing stairs for passengers to board, the DC-9 opening was only for emergency escape purposes, and first involves releasing the tail cone structure. Perris' plane of course flies without the tail cone. I don't know measures were also taken to prevent a DC-9 door from being operated post-D.B Cooper.

Your statement seems to be contradicted by this attachment. (page 4)

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/arff/arff767.pdf

Note the "equipment access door" just behind the front landing gear door.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I had forgotten that some have such doors. My memory is a little fuzzy on these doors, but I think they are pretty darn small. I can't remember the size of the door in the floor of the cabin either.

Is it conceivable possible to successfully jump out of the side cockpit window of a Boeing 757

If you want a good story, put all the commandos in wingsuits and have them fly up over the wing B|

Just have them watch for the empennage :o
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I had forgotten that some have such doors. My memory is a little fuzzy on these doors, but I think they are pretty darn small. I can't remember the size of the door in the floor of the cabin either.

The B-767 depicted in the drawings does provide access to the E-E bay via a floor hatch just aft of the flight deck door. It's about a 2'X2' opening. (large enough for a tired mechanic on midnight shift to fall straight down through when he walks onto a dark airplane and some numbnuts has left the hatch open, but that's another story). So yeah, you could get down to the E-E bay door in the belly. You'd never get it open with the aircraft pressurized. If you did get it open and try to exit at any reasonable airspeed, I think you'd get about 1/4 of your body out before you got slammed into the trailing edge of the 2'X2' opening and proceed to injure yourself greatly.
Have fun....