pfloyd

Jumping with a cold?

While it is not as likely as say, a ruptured eardrum, it still is possible and the more congested you are the more likely it is to happen no matter the difference in air pressure between altitude and the ground.

Also while a ruptured ear drum is likely to happen first barotrauma or any other damage to your sinuses is more serious and probably more painful.

Jumping with congestion - NEVER!
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

“In severe cases, especially with rapid onset, the sinus mucosa is stripped from the subjacent bone, resulting in severe pain and hematoma formation.”

"hematoma formation"

That's a bruise, right?

While that sounds painful, I still think the risk of a ruptured eardrum is much more serious. The pressure difference necessary to result in a skull fracture must be HUGE compared to eardrum damage.

I found this on Skydive Radio:

http://www.skydiveradio.com/shows.htm

Show 54. AN EENT explains that sinus pain from jumping while congested is real. The risk of rupturing an eardum is real. Sinus damage is not.

Edit to make clicky

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? That to me is pretty stupid. People jumping with a cold / congestion almost always wish they hadn't after they get down. What I consider a blown sinus to be is when whatever in there gets fucked up, it may not result in permenant damage, but it sure does result in blood coming out of your nose. You can argue with me all you want but I have seen it first hand and watched the pain double someone over in tears. Add that to all the other risks and you would have to be stupid to jump congested.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

AGREED! I've been one of those people who have jumped with a cold. 2 years ago I was number hungry and jumped completely congested.....spent the whole jump trying to clear my ears and tears. Jump hurt and sucked.

Second time was a few weeks ago in spain. I wasnt sick (actually had a sinus infection I didnt know about....no syptoms on ground) and at exactly 8K I would get a nose bleed. Then on the way down I would get blood sprayed all over my face from my nose. No pain or discomfort (other than cleaning my face and goggles after every jump), but it def. added another step to the jump.

My recommendation............NO, wait till your better.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? That to me is pretty stupid. People jumping with a cold / congestion almost always wish they hadn't after they get down.

No, not arguing the dangers or pain involved with jumping with a cold at all. I agreed a number of times that the risk of rupturing an eardrum is real. I don't understand the "blown sinus" approach and think it's a little silly to imply that you can damage your skull.
Owned by Remi #?

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? That to me is pretty stupid. People jumping with a cold / congestion almost always wish they hadn't after they get down.

No, not arguing the dangers or pain involved with jumping with a cold at all. I agreed a number of times that the risk of rupturing an eardrum is real. I don't understand the "blown sinus" approach and think it's a little silly to imply that you can damage your skull.

Good frickin' God. :S I use blown sinus to refer to the people who have blood coming out of their nose after having made a jump with a sinus infection. I'm not a doctor and am not using medical terminology.

Yesh! Remind me to go look up medical terminology next time. :S
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I am in the same boat as Cora. I just use the term "Blown Sinus" or the like as a general description of the fact that _something_ in your sinus cavity ruptures, be that the skin that makes up the wall, a blood vessel, whatever, and it causes you to bleed from your nose. I'm no doctor, just trying to convey a general sense of "Don't do this" mostly cause I'm bored at work.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You have a "COLD" and youre seriously thinking of not jumping. Now ..... if it was flu, or even worse man-flu.

All this nonsense about barotrauma to the sinuses, get over it. Were talking 13,000 ft.

Take brufen, paracetamol, nasal decongestant and get up there.

Disclaimer : You're personally responsable for your descision to jump and may die doing it!
With love in Christ

I have sinus issues all the time and usually nasal spray and some over the counter allergy medicine make it possible for me to jump without to much irritation just have to clear my ears after landing..but 2 weeks ago I could not clear my left ear on the ground and jumped anyway the jump was great but at about 3000 I had terrible pain in my left cheek it felt like a tooth was getting pushed out from the inside.. I definetley re-evaluated my ideas on jumping with congestion.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

yeah bud you keep repeating the skull cracking thing, nobody else suggested such a thing. blown sinus due to not being able to equalize pressure differential the thin membrane in your sinus cavity will rip causing you to bleed like stuck pig. again, as has already been pointed out the pressure differential from +14,000agl to sea level is not that great. NO BROKEN SKULL. pain, discomfort, severe bleeding possibilities.

sudafed, afrin, million other decongestants will make it doable. wait for the stuff to kick in, then let it do what it does
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell