caspar

checklist in the plane

do any of you guys have an interesting ways you check your gear in the plane before you jump?

mine is the countdown checklist:

4 straps. chest, legs and helmet
3 handles. cutaway, reserve and hackey
2 altimeters. alti and audible
1 pair of goggle put on.

OK! - K for hook knife

thought id share my idea, i like to check so i know everything is where its meant to be as i jump out. forgetting goggles, helmet strap or handles tucked under would suck.

anyone do anything similar?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

I believe the 3-3's is in the SIMs.

3 attachment points (chest and both leg straps)
3 rings
3 handles in order of potential deployment (hackey/rip cord, cutaway, and reserve)

Checked 3 times (before boarding, on the way to altitude and before exit).

I add one more 3 to that ...3 accessories - helmet, goggles, alti. Most critical as I'm walking out to the plane since it won't do much good after that.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Start at the bottom and move up:

- Shoes tied
- legstraps
- wing clips fastened
- cutaway/reserve handles (also go thru emrgncy prcdrs 3 times during plane ride.)
- Chest strap
- 3 Rings
- Main handle/pin check (myself)
- gloves fastened/swoop chords

DOOR OPENS
- Quick once overe
- Helmet buckled
- Red light on
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

I believe the 3-3's is in the SIMs.

3 attachment points (chest and both leg straps)
3 rings
3 handles in order of potential deployment (hackey/rip cord, cutaway, and reserve)

Checked 3 times (before boarding, on the way to altitude and before exit).

I add one more 3 to that ...3 accessories - helmet, goggles, alti. Most critical as I'm walking out to the plane since it won't do much good after that.

I learned as a student SWAG before taxi-ing off; Seatbelt, Winds, Alti, Goggles.

PMS #394

I check in the order of:

Leg straps
Chest strap
Hackey there & pilot chute not protruding
Cutaway handle
Reserve handle (go through EP's one last time)
Reserve pin (check myself)
Main pin (check myself)

Door opens - one last hackey check before exit.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Pretty much checking every part of my gear on the ground and on the ride to altitude. Nonstop.

Don't really have a checklist.

I always compare my altimeter on the way to altitude with other jumpers altimeters, you never know the thing is not functioning properly anymore.

I've seen noumerous jumpers exit without their goggles on...

My final checklist is as follows:

1. straps: chest, legs
2. flaps: riser covers shut, reserve flap tucked, main flap secured
3. accessories (bottom to top): typically booties, AAD, altimeter, RSL, goggles, helmet
4. handles: main, cutaway, reserve

Notes to add:

I can visibly inspect the riser covers. The main and reserve flap are inspected by touch and I might ask another jumper to check them if I think something feels wrong.

Step 3 may change according to the type of jump and the items you jump with (cameras, boards, wings, tubes, inflatable toys, whatever).

Some accessories (step 3) merely need to be there, others need more elaborate checking.

On the ground (during packing and prior to boarding) I check many more things, but this is what I check in the plane prior to exit.

Actually, I do this check prior to door opening. When the door opens, I want to either trust my gear to be ok, or be nowhere near the door because there is (or might be) something wrong. I realize that this approach won't work when in hot weather the plane flies with the door open (think Perris), but where I live that rarely (if ever) happens.

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy