funkcanna

150 Stiletto ok for beginner?

Hi, i'm currently in the process of getting back into skydiving after almost 3 years away. I was still a beginner last time I jumped so will be even more so now.

Someone is selling a rig with a 150 Stiletto in it. What is everyones thoughts on these canopies for a beginner? I weigh 12.5 stone (175 pounds) without gear, so not sure on my exit weight.

Any advice will be much appreciated!!
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

Everyone (with any sense) on this forum will tell you that canopy is a very unwise choice. Hopefully, your instructors will tell you the same.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks for the replies guys! Thats pretty much what I thought!

Any recommendations on size and type of canopy I should be looking for?
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

little off topic (sorry for jacking)
I met a kid with 80 jumps jumping Stilletto 170 (his exit weight around mine ~190-195lbs)
Kid jsut bought Katana 120 and wanted to downsize - the DZ obviously didnt let him even consider jumping it.
How he got it is beyond my comprehension :S

(jacking the thread over)

>What is everyones thoughts on these canopies for a beginner?

Ask your instructor; he will probably suggest a student rig. After 3 years I'd go with whatever the DZ uses for first-time jumpers. Generally that will be a Navigator-style canopy between 220 and 280 square feet.

You are positively not qualified to jump that canopy.

Chuck Blue
AFFI/SLI/TMI

Quoted to help drive that point home.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Your exit weight will be just about 200lb.

Size-wise, for your first rig, you'd most likely be looking at a 190-210. Some good canopies: Sabre2, Safire2, Spectre, Pilot, Triathlon, Sabre.

However, as Bill says, you may have to do some jumps on the student/rental gear at your DZ when you get back in the sky. It'd be worth talking to the CCI before making any hasty purchases. He or she will have a good idea of what suits you, particularly as they've seen you fly.

Welcome back :)

All you need a canopy that has decent opening and flying characteristics and you would have a decent WL that _not_ greater than 1.0.

A Stiletto 150 does not fall into any of the categories above and that would not be either fun for you.

You need a canopy that opens a fire-and-forget way. You throw PC and you got a perfect opening 99times from 100 and the last would be just funny and not spinning or diving.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah, I do intend on jumping the student rigs first!

do you realise that this canopy at that loading would still be considered aggressive in 500jumps ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Just curious: does the USPA have any rules/regulations/guidelines regarding canopy selection?

Here in Holland, a person with the OP's jump numbers (or mine, for that matter) simply isn't allowed to jump a Stiletto or similar elliptical canopy, of any given size. Our national association has rules for that.

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just curious: does the USPA have any rules/regulations/guidelines regarding canopy selection?

Here in Holland, a person with the OP's jump numbers (or mine, for that matter) simply isn't allowed to jump a Stiletto or similar elliptical canopy, of any given size. Our national association has rules for that.

No, they currently do not... and I personally hope they don't ever. I'm a firm believer in self regulation, and a very big opponent of standardization based on jump numbers rather than individual ability. People should be educated enough to understand why/why not they should be jumping a particular canopy type or size, and those who just don't get the education, can't comprehend it, or just flat out don't care about it, should be regulated by their peers.

While I do not like to see anyone get hurt, this sport has a way of weeding out the people who really don't have the physical, mental, or common sense abilities for it.