Ruskin

Would you like family to skydive

I'm just glad my desire to get involved in a long term (potentially child-bearing) relationship is likely not going to make it's apperance until I'm in my mid 30's. I'm not done growing as an individual. The last thing I want to do is short-change myself on experiences that obligations/responsibilities to someone else would supercede.

That and hopefully by the time I'm in my 30's (21 now) a woman will come along that shares my attitudes about life and love.

Our situation, wife and I jump, about 6500 jumps between us. Four kids, the 18 YO made about 15 jumps before getting wrapped up in college, 16 YO doesn't want to jump, fine, the 15 YO counting the days until he can be a skydiver. The 13 YO, we'll see. In our family, no one cares if you jump or not. It's a personal choice.

We jumped when the kids were little too. Have good life insurance and then go live your life. I think our kids are richer for it all. We were lucky to have a "kid friendly" DZ for all those years, lots of babysitters to hire.:)

Do men feel that it is irresponsible of a woman to continue skydiving after a baby? Are there any men out there who decided not to skydive after becoming a parent?

I believe quite the opposite. I believe that anyone who stops living for themselves just because they now have a family epitomize the term "over the hill." I know a tremendous amount of married-with-children couples who skydive. Their kids grow up on dropzones, just like I did. I also know a few people, both male and female, who have given up the sport they love out of some feeling of impending doom, or even just the possibility of something happening to them while skydiving. With the fewest of exceptions, they ALL hate the fact that they no longer jump. You would not believe how often I hear that.

Chuck

My first jump was a when I bought a tandem for my daughter's 18th bday, and I decided to try in "once".
She hasn't jumped again but expreses interest, and I would love to jump with her. I also bought a tandem for my son, and went on the load with him, and would love it if he started jumping too. And, I got some tandems for my fiance, and she decided to take lessons, and is now the "ladydyver" on the forum, and also my wife. My best jump ever was the first time we went out together, docked, and I got to see her big smile in freefall.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

I also know a few people, both male and female, who have given up the sport they love out of some feeling of impending doom, or even just the possibility of something happening to them while skydiving. With the fewest of exceptions, they ALL hate the fact that they no longer jump. You would not believe how often I hear that.

I was one of those. Not the impending doom bit, but due to the enhanced risk while the kids were small. Yeah, I hated not jumping, although I kept my toe in the water by staying involved in the business end of the sport (representing gear shops, DZs & jump plane owners, taking care of the legal stuff for boogies, etc.). Anyhow, I'm glad to be back. Having said that, I still think my decision (to take the hiatus) was the right one for me. I'm not judging others - just saying it was right for me.

As far as the title question goes, I would actually like it if any of family members did a tandem jump at the very least. Beyond that I would neither encourage nor discourage them from jumping. Just like me, its all about if that's what they really want to do. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though. Ah well.

As far as women jumping after having a kid...to each their own. If that's what they want to do I'm not going to judge them.

My daughter did a tandem around her 16th birthday. What made that so wonderful was her running up to hug me after, a huge smile on her face, saying "I get it now!". To have another family member understand the joy I get from the sport meant a lot to me..

That all said, I haven't encouraged her to jump again and, as she is now on an athletics scholarship at college, desperate not to get injured, I am not too upset she hasn't followed up her first jump.

If she ever wants to jump badly enough she knows who to ask and I will jump on the same load...
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

I went through AFF at the same time my oldest son went through the tandem progression. We got our A license on the same day. It was totally great. The best Father's Day ever was a 2 way w/ my son.

That being said, I'm sure I lost a couple of months off my life every time we jumped. The first time we jumped our own pack jobs was a significant event in my life.

If your not a dad, you'll think this is stupid. The very second you become one, you'll understand.

Stan

My wife has one tandem under her belt, as does my son, my daughter, my dad. and my mom wants to. I have also taken no less than 20 or so friends to the dropzone for tandems. I would never tell a family member or a friend not to.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I don't have anything against skydiver fathers (or mothers) with children under the age of 18. However, after I got married and started a family, I decided that it would be best for me to retire until we're finished raising our children.

I haven't jumped since August 2004 but I still think about skydiving all the time. Sometimes I entertain the idea that I'll sneak out a get in a couple jumps on blue sky days (after recurrency training) but I haven't done it yet and don't really think I'll do it. However, I keep my rig in date and serviced just in case.

Hi Steve, hows it going. I'm with you. I wish T.L. would start jumping again too. Although I did not know that he had another daughter at home. I can understand his reasoning tho. But you are right, skydiving is good for the soul. I think it would be good for him.
On a lighter note, we have done a few loads in Hamilton recently and will be doing some more when the weather allows. We were shooting for this weekend but the plane is in for its annual so maybe next weekend. I know its a long drive for you but it would be great to see you. If not we will see you in the spring. Talk to you soon.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Well, there is one good and simple answer to this:

If it's safe enough for me, then it's safe enough for my family.

That's how I feel about it.

I'd love to dive with both friends and family if they wanted to.

;)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I've tried multiple times to get my 34 year old brother to do a tandem. He doesn't have the money right now, but would like to. He wanted to be in the Airborne.

I don't think I would want anyone in my family to be an active skydiver like me though.

I think one of us in this sport in the family is enough.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Well, my kids never had a chance. They both grew up ad DZ rats and were both packing by 13. I'd been jumping for 8 years when Jared came along, and we still went out to the DZ every weekend anyway. When the bills started coming in due to the higher expense of the kids, I became an instructor and a rigger for the extra money. Which, of course then required me to be at the DZ every weekend to work and most important, to stay current.

I always impressed on both the kids that they don't have to jump, and I'd rather they not. Not because I'm afraid of them getting hurt (and yes, I am), but because jumping is my thing, and I would prefer that they found their own thing to do.

As my daughter put it, though, it was normal for them to turn 18 and then go jump out of a plane. It's just what people do. Of course they both love it and are jumping every weekend now. As an interesting insight as to what it's like to be a DZ rat, my daughter confessed that she was in grade 6 before she realized that not everyone's parents jump out of airplanes. That was quite the epiphany for her.

The good news/bad news is that they've had first hand education that this sport can kill you, and so they are both conservative jumpers for their age, have gone into this with eyes wide open, and take care of their own gear. Just like we did in the old days. So they are as prepared as myself and thier instructors can make them.

And now, I get to jump with my kids all summer long. How incredibly cool is that?

So, no, I don't mind family jumping, as long as said family member can handle being in a really bad situation and dealing with it with a cool head.

I just try to make sure that I don't screw up too badly. The Reaper lurks.......
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666