aguila

Is Skydiving an extreme sport?

I'm not one for labels in the first place.

I think skydiving in the 50's and up through the 70's was 'extreme'. But it seems a little more watered down now.

I don't know what EXTREME means anymore. It's attached to everything. It just seems to be a term used to sell stuff by getting idiots excited. It's a term non-skydivers use but even they can't define it.

It has nothing to do with skydivers. To me, when I'm at the drop zone, skydiving is just my activity of choice. Because it's fun.....not EXTREME.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

For those that voted that skydiving is NOT an extreme sport, please list sports that you DO consider to be "extreme"?

I think wich ever sport you take to the extreme it will be extrteme.

Example :

Skiing is generally not extreme, but when talking about heli-ski in the alps it might be.

Climbing is not necessarily extreme, but freeclimbing I would classify as extreme.

IMO you can take any sport to the extreme.. even fishing..

So .. Skydiving isn´t necessarily extreme. Sure there are a lot of things we can do wich would turn skydiving as extreme...

[replyYou've probably seen this, but maybe not.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=xtreme_bullshit[url]

Thanks for that one! I'm still giggling.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

If a skydiver's ego is stroked by calling it extreme, then good for them.

I think the term 'extreme' is a wee bit overused and I wouldn't be sad if it went away forever.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Skydiving is also a net-drain on societal resources. Skydiving functions in it's own sort of closed economy that takes resources from the whole of society, and gives no tangible resources back whatsoever.

Not so.

Outside the skydiving industry itself, they use lots of fuel, which helps keeps fuel suppliers and oil companies in business. They use restaurants and motels. And the big one: they buy copious amounts of beer from Jiffy Marts.

Furthermore, lots of skydivers work really hard at their jobs, producing various goods and services, so that they earn enough to be able to skydive.

Skydivers help make the economy go just like everyone else who spends money. And it isn't a closed system, by any means.

Who really cares what people say?

DZs owners, gear manufacturers, instructors, publishers, mass media, authorities, skydivers' families & friends . . . my girlfriend... ;) ?
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

I'm not sure what you mean by the Twin Falls thing, but if it's what I'm thinking, then just because skydiving activities are a primary source/reason that a city stays in business to the level it is at, doesn't mean that the actual skydiving activities don't result in a drain.

Guess I wasn't as thorough as I thought B|

Yep - I still haven't a clue what you're trying to say. Recreation is by definition recreational - non essential and non producing. It is a consuming activity.

Twin Falls is the one of if not the most popular legal BASE site in the US. Rather than try to harass those *totally extreme* guys and gals, they invite them to freely jump off their bridge as much as they like. In exchange they get a lot of tourists staying in their hotels and eating from their restaurants and grocery stores. That's about as far from draining as possible. I'm shocked other locations haven't picked up on the opportunity.

If a skydiver's ego is stroked by calling it extreme, then good for them.

I think the term 'extreme' is a wee bit overused and I wouldn't be sad if it went away forever.

I agree
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Some people say skydiving is not an extreme sports. Some say it is. What do you think?

Thank you!

Who are "they"? (the ones that say its not)

J'

Me for one
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

For those that voted that skydiving is NOT an extreme sport, please list sports that you DO consider to be "extreme"?

Big wall Free climing
down hill mountain biking
things of gthat ilk.
Top level white water rafting
Swooping and canopy piloting

Skydiving is not extreme, theres not real physical expertise required, the level of fitness needed is very low, and the only time it gets "extreme" is when things turn to crap with gear.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

....theres not real physical expertise required, the level of fitness needed is very low, and the only time it gets "extreme" is when things turn to crap with gear.

Really? No 'real' expertise required? Low level of fitness? Interesting.

I guess I see it like any other sport. Falling out of an airplane, if you want to call THAT skydiving is not hard. But skydiving WELL does require these things.

Skydiving is not extreme, theres not real physical expertise required, the level of fitness needed is very low, and the only time it gets "extreme" is when things turn to crap with gear.

One thing that stands out about skydiving is that the simplest solo dive is still pretty dangerous. There's no gradual steppings.

Rockclimbers can start with 30ft indoor walls on a rope, and most outdoor stuff is less than the 90 degree walls. And then you have something like Cap.

White water rafting has 3 levels (Class 3-5) to work up, and rafts versus kayaks.

Mountain biking has huge variance of difficulty. You start on a trail.

In all of these, the risk level to newbies is pretty low. They can practice in fairly safe conditions until they're more experienced. In skydiving you're on your own in as little as 6 minutes of air time.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Twin Falls thing, but if it's what I'm thinking, then just because skydiving activities are a primary source/reason that a city stays in business to the level it is at, doesn't mean that the actual skydiving activities don't result in a drain.

Guess I wasn't as thorough as I thought B|

Yep - I still haven't a clue what you're trying to say. Recreation is by definition recreational - non essential and non producing. It is a consuming activity.

Twin Falls is the one of if not the most popular legal BASE site in the US. Rather than try to harass those *totally extreme* guys and gals, they invite them to freely jump off their bridge as much as they like. In exchange they get a lot of tourists staying in their hotels and eating from their restaurants and grocery stores. That's about as far from draining as possible. I'm shocked other locations haven't picked up on the opportunity.

You realize we just agreed right?