MotherGoose

DirtyLowPull.com presents . . .

Hi all . . . wondered if anyone out there provides a service to make professional skydiving videos from hours and hours of raw footage. There's this little project some friends and I put together called Dirty Low Pull Productions, but we're just screwing around at this point. Have a look and let me know what you think . . . http://www.dirtylowpull.com

We've produced a 35 minute action packed DVD from a collaboration of footage at our DZ from 2006. The end result is pretty good and we had a blast doing it. If anyone is interested in a full length feature DVD, you can contact me and we'll see what we can do. If you are local you can get one for free easily at our opening weekend at S.T.I. on February 17th.

The site comes complete with a blog and message board also, but its still in its infancy. Also, when viewing the movie trailer, its best to pause it and let it buffer a bit before pressing play again.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Thanks people, that made my day! The music is composed by a gentleman named Rob Dougan, his album is called Furious Angels as well (yes we stole the title, we couldnt resist). If you Google him you'll find his stuff. He's best known for his work in the musical score for "The Matrix" trilogy.

As far as our movie goes, we've used a couple Dougan tunes in the freefall sequence and it could not be better, I highly recommend this guys music for skydiving movies. Im so glad you all enjoyed the trailer, when the DVD is released i will let you all know how to get a copy, we're trying to keep it totally free but that may not be entirely possible . . . we'll have to see . . . ;)
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I love the music, very powerful. Similar realms of Massive Attack. As Zeemax says see if you can get away with using it. Its a sahme the little teaser trailer thingy on the website doesn't have more actual footage.

The embedded movie player is cool though. Don't know what you used but I've not seen that before. Very nice :)

Nice ! I had the same idea a few days ago. I wanted a supergood longlasting BASEvideo, so i made one myself (36 minutes B|) with all the best footage i could find.
Howerver i dont think i can put it online cause i dont know if the people whof footage it is would like that
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Hey Dude, I've jumped a few times in cookstown, not to mention jumping many of joes planes at other dz's, missed the dash-8 though, damn. Nice video for sure, keep up the good work.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

ZEEMAX - there are always licensing stipulations involved in these things. This movie is completely not-for-profit and we only plan to distribute "A FEW" copies to some "FRIENDS".;);)

Scoop - The embedded player is a flash player, if you would like more information on using such a player, please contact Editor James Fraboni, known on here as MUFFY. He is the mastermind behind the website. As for the lack of footage in the trailer, well thats the whole idea. We can't let you see too much . . .

Jumpkid - YES that was a DASH-8. A few months back our DZ was asked to participate in test-jumping some tandems, static-lines and fun jumpers out of that big bird. We've been cleared to include some footage from that day now that the cat is out of the bag and Skydiving magazine did a full page feature article on us in this months issue. (Some of the pics featured are mine, its a proud moment - thanks to Rob Price)

To the rest of you, when the DVD launches, we will do our best to send out as many copies as we can. If you drop me or James a line, we'll see if its feasible to send you a copy but you'll probably have to pay the shipping.

THanks again for the interest people, it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Scoop - The embedded player is a flash player, if you would like more information on using such a player, please contact Editor James Fraboni, known on here as MUFFY. He is the mastermind behind the website. As for the lack of footage in the trailer, well thats the whole idea. We can't let you see too much . . .

Nah, I'm good. Just thought it looked snazzy :)Teaser trailers are all well and good, but I would probably hesitate on buying a DVD based on the limited footage I saw. I guess its a fine line though knowing how much to show and how much to hold back and everyone responds to it differently

Good luck with it :)

BUYING ?? I thought the word "FREE" stood out in a paragraph like nun in a whorehouse? :D:D:D j/k . . . yah, this is a fun project for now. We're really using it as a promotional tool for our dropzone, and trust me its working amazing so far. Its a little bit of Advertising-101.

Trying to put the video in perspective, it isn't like it showcases world-class skydiving. (I jump at Skydive Toronto and have seen the draft video.) It's not like Skydive Toronto is a major southern US dropzone.

The video is about the jumps and the fun that jumpers had at our DZ in 2006. It's all stuff that matters most to those of us who were in the jumps or have friends in the jumps!

All the best stuff that got filmed is there (well, except for a couple deletions for things the DZO really shouldn't see, and perhaps shouldn't be repeated).

That being said, the guys who put it together - Bart, Marc, and James - spent a huge amount of time on it, learning more about the professional quality software used, trying to get all the clips just right (arguing down to the point of individual video frames...), editing multiple viewpoints when there was more that one camera on a jump, finding good music, and so on.

So look to the video not for world beating skydiving, but for what should be a fun year-end DZ video that's really well produced and shows off skydiving well.

Although Skydive Toronto has sent a bunch of jumpers to the world championships over the years in accuracy, freeflying, and canopy piloting, we're not a famous bunch. Well, except for Jay Moledski and Johnny Zuliani, who both started at Skydive Toronto... Wish we had video of them being guided in by radio on their first jumps!

Peter, so eloquently put, I don't think James, Marc or I could have encapsulated the video any better. It really truly is nothing but a video hommage to what really counts in skydiving to all of us who are there at the DZ every weekend, dedicating all of our spare time to this great sport. Its not about the fuel costs, the tandem takeover, the delayed loads, or whatever else we complain about all the time . . . its about friends, coming together to make a DZ great.

I'm gonna go have a cry now . . . :P

This movie is completely not-for-profit and we only plan to distribute "A FEW" copies to some "FRIENDS".

Whether you get away with that depends on what you do and how trigger happy the copyright owner is. Technically, you're not allowed to make derivative works without permission, but realistically, if it's small potatoes and non-commercial, then nobody will probably care.

If you're really wanting to go totally legit, there are several places on the web where you can download creative commons music which is already licenced for use in non-commercial derivative works as long as you give credit to the artist/publisher. You will have to sift through the music to find the good stuff, but there is a reasonable amount of good music there in a huge variety of styles. Check out:

PodSafe Music Network
Magnatune
PodSafe Audio
Creative Commons

You can also find details of the different creative commons licence types on there, too.

We've already been discussing this issue to some length. At this point, the movie is small potatoes, but if we were to partake in another project of this or greater magnitude, we'll definitely have to look into licensing and legitimate distribution. If any DZ out there wants to ship us a crate of all their footage, we can put together a year end video and have it legally produced for distribution. Not sure what all the costs would be like, but its definitely possible.

Thanks for the insight.

Good on you guys for getting together and doing this. Just wanted to say good job (Even though I haven't seen it) cause you even have something at all. I edited our DZ year in review video last year and I know how much goes into a project of that scope. (Our video was 45 minutes long, and I had good footage for at least an hour and a half) I also have done editing for a film festival, though I have to say I did spend more time on that.

As for the music argument, man, I just hate hearing about it. I wish people would just go back to ignoring it like they did in the past. If there was a reasonable way to comply, people would. There isn't and thats why people don't. iTunes is a perfect example of that. Prior to there being an easy way to get the music that people wanted, cheap, and when they wanted, people stole it off peer-to-peer networks. Now iTunes has most of that business because it is easy.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Im glad you appreciate the effort involved. We really worked our asses off sifting through hours and hours of footage and trimming down tons of GREAT video to keep it within reason (35 min.). Its really important that there was 3 of us who dedicated our spare time to this and worked as a TEAM.

Brettski - We are using the new Adobe Video Bundle, worth a whopping $2500.00 !! We're not screwing around with some cheap software here :P. The software is so amazing, but half of our time was spent figuring out the millions of options that you have.:S I look forward to starting another project.