Nickkk

Barrel Roll on Exit

So it has come to my attention after watching a video (Tracking Totale, sick video by the way) that I have never done this.

What is the best way to do it? Simply dipping a shoulder on exit to induce the roll?

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

I haven't watched that, but check out one from skydiving movies called 111_summer_2006.wmv. At the 33 second mark, this dude does this sick barrel roll... I'd like to hear whats the best way too. I was told that putting an arm in front and one in back, and angling them so they're bent down, could give you that spinning effect.

???

I find it's best to launch with your head to the relative wind and use the AC to start your spin, keeping your arms and legs tight to the body, then to stop it open up your stance. This looks really nice with a transition to sit. See Good Stuff Flyboy's segment.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

So it has come to my attention after watching a video (Tracking Totale, sick video by the way) that I have never done this.

What is the best way to do it? Simply dipping a shoulder on exit to induce the roll?

DEFINITELY one of the best videos out there. Tjalle & Japp need to produce more. I'm not satisfied with only the three to their credit.

DEFINITELY one of the best videos out there. Tjalle & Japp need to produce more. I'm not satisfied with only the three to their credit.

Seriously! The camera work and editing are amazing!

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

Which axis? Like a bullet down a barrel?

Is the axis from the top of the head through the body past the feet? how about through the front or the sides of the hips?

Axis roll ... I'm so confused.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I haven't watched that, but check out one from skydiving movies called 111_summer_2006.wmv. At the 33 second mark, this dude does this sick barrel roll... I'd like to hear whats the best way too.

That's my video... the one at the 33 second mark is Omar doing a triple, at 1:22 is me doing a double. Of course we're both wearing wingsuits, but for barrel rolls on EXIT, that does not make a difference.

Barrel rolls in flight (or freefall) are executed by pushing off the air, and continued by leading with your head and following through with your shoulders and body. Barrel rolls on exit are executed by pushing off the plane (with your feet, the same as you would if you jumped off a curb and did a 360), and continued by again leading with your head and following through with your shoulders and body. Make sense? :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Is the axis from the top of the head through the body past the feet?

Yeah that's what I'm getting at.
A traditional barrel roll in aviation involves a fair bit of deviation from the original flight path and looks like flying round the inside of a barrel, hence the name.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

depends on the kind of aircraft you are getting out of... but I love doing a quick barrel roll on H&Ps out of Otter's...

The way I go about it is to face the back of the plane and when the green light comes on I grab the bar (on the inside of the plane) with my right hand and just kind of swing out into a corkscrew... I'll generally hold that for a few seconds before I toss... B|:)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

depends on the kind of aircraft you are getting out of... but I love doing a quick barrel roll on H&Ps out of Otter's...

The way I go about it is to face the back of the plane and when the green light comes on I grab the bar (on the inside of the plane) with my right hand and just kind of swing out into a corkscrew... I'll generally hold that for a few seconds before I toss... B|:)

I like to do backflips! :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka