skybytch

Swoopers - could/would you upsize if you had to?

This question is aimed specifically at those who have been jumping crossbraced canopies for 500 or more jumps. Reason for this limitation is that crossbraced canopies are a significant step up from Katana/Crossfire class canopies, and 500 jumps is the equivalent of a season or two of jumping (long enough to become addicted to what a crossbraced canopy can do). Sport canopies used on fun jumps only here; the tandem canopy you get paid to jump doesn't count.

Let's say you hurt yourself bad enough or there becomes some other compelling reason (getting older, having a kid, beoming more risk-averse, etc) that makes you determine that continuing to jump your current canopy is too risky.

Would/could you be happy jumping a larger, less aggressive canopy all the time, whether Katana/Crossfire class or Sabre2/Safire2 class. even though you could continue to do high performance approaches with it? Or do the rewards of flying what you do (not just the swoop but everything involved in flying a crossbrace, from opening to packing) outweigh the other rewards of skydiving for you? Is the freefall and the "joy of being in the air" still enough to keep you interested/jumping?

If I had a Knee operation or something that stopped me from being able to run out if i had to then 'yes' I would jump another slower canopy. Freefall is mint!

I am also aiming at getting a GLSxf (non cross braced and a reduction in wing loading) for big ways and ground launching so that is another yes.

So I guess the answer is;

Yes
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Not exactly the answer to your question.

I recently upsized for a training camp to get better at my technique with out the risk of the CB breaking me.

But it did lead me to believe that I could be happy upsizing to an all around canopy.

The pilot can always make a moderate canopy aggressive if wanted.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I've put over a thousand jumps on Velocity 96s over the last three seasons. Last year, I also put 100+ jumps on an old, ragged out, Stiletto 107, and I still loved every second of those skydives.

I would for sure keep skydiving if I couldn't fly a braced wing.

Canuck

I jump a Velocity, but I also jump a larger Jedi I have no problems going back to the Jedi at all. I end up jumping them each about the same amount.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Same size as you. Actually, it was one of the prototypes, I love it! Love the long dives. Not quite as long as a Velocity of course, but we're talking two generations.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Would/could you be happy jumping a larger, less aggressive canopy all the time, whether Katana/Crossfire class or Sabre2/Safire2 class. even though you could continue to do high performance approaches with it? Or do the rewards of flying what you do (not just the swoop but everything involved in flying a crossbrace, from opening to packing) outweigh the other rewards of skydiving for you? Is the freefall and the "joy of being in the air" still enough to keep you interested/jumping?

thats a tough question.

I think I would just upsize the cross braced canopy. they seem to land better anyway.

I routinely jump back and forth between a Velocity and a Sabre2 (with the occasional tandem thrown in as well).

I slide my landings in on my Velo, so I really can't imagine a reason I would have to upsize due to an injury or any other reason. If I did not have the ability to safely pilot either of my canopies to a smooth landing, then yes, I would upsize.

Chuck

I do about 400 jumps a year. I put 300+ on my 2 FX 89s. The remainder are split up between a fury and a maverick both 7-cell 220/200 F-111. A few years ago at Rantoul we were doing our own sport acc. out in the main landing area. I dead centered with my 89, ran got my 105 Jedei, dead centered, ran and got the fury and did a full on acc approach dead center.

Becoming well versed in different types and sizes of canopies adds to your control and safety. I love to fly. I would have a hard time moving to a 100+ canopy for a regular thing. If it's the only way to keep jumping, you gata do what ya gata do.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I don't fit your category of 500+ on a crossbrace, but I do have about 350 jumps on 120's and 500+ on 135's, and I am somewhat addicted to the speed and responsiveness that comes with them.

The answer is yes... I love the canopy flight, and I love to swoop, but my first love is 4-way. If I had to go to a spectre loaded 1:1 in order to keep jumping, but could still keep ratcheting up my 4-way average, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

On a similar note though, say I REALLY hurt myself and it meant I couldn't ever hope to do good 4-way again (say, at least a 10 average)... not sure I could deal with that so well. although stories like that of Dan BC make me think that if you want it bad enough it won't matter how bad you get hurt.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I tore my ACL yet again this weekend and am considering this very question. I'm just questioning if I really HAVE to...I definitely don't WANT to. :S

I would definitely upsize before quitting.

Yes. I'm in my mid 40's and my one canopy is in the mid 90's. I jump at a DZ 5000 ft AMSL where it's really hot in the summer. (There should be an age to wingloading ratio somewhere to see who's REALLY pushing the limits..;))

My Wingsuit canopy is a 109, so I'm used to jumping big forgiving canopies.

I know I will want to still be jumping when I'm too old to jump a small canopy. I've been jumping over half my life. I don't plan to stop soon.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

When I'm no longer a full time skydiver, yep.

Is that a currency issue? Or would you continue to jump a crossbraced canopy as a full time skydiver even with an injury to protect?

Hmmm... I guess that would depend on the injury. Most that I can think of that would keep me from jumping a Highly Loaded Crossbrace would also keep me from being a full time skydiver, possibly from jumping at all.

Give me a type of injury and I might be able to be more clear. Currency is the main issue to me.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.