sinjin

Hard opening and chop !!!! AFF 1

here is a video of a really hard opening for an AFF 1 student. the hard opening is at 34 seconds into the video so be patient. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gvwTA6uSlk

the student chopped the main after the steering line broke. the main was also sent to the manufacturer for a reline. the cause of the hard opening is unknown as the canopy is out of view but the line stows seem to come out normal. i am not sure of the manufacter of the main but it is a 250 and was loaded about .8. no injury to the student other than a little sore.
dont let life pass you by

Was it just me, or was there not one single AFF jump in that video? *scratches head*

Dunno which video you were watching, but there are several AFF launches in that vid. Doesn't really show the chop well, but if you watch, it does show the opening twice, once in slo-mo.

Oh, damn! That looked like...ballcrusher.

You can see how fast the slider comes down. Its down already when the student is just feets over its instructors..

Is he still skydiving?
A skydiver's famous last words:
- Hey! Hold my beer, and watch this...!
- If that guy can do it, so can I...!
- In 9 out of 10 this will work out just fine. Don't worry about it...!

Is the guy coming in hard and fast under the white reserve the same guy who had the hard opening? If that was his first jump he must have thought skydiving was a very painful sport.[:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Is that the only reason for an opening as hard as that one seems to have been? I don't quite understand how that alone could do that. He's barely stood up before the slider is all the way down! I've heard of linedump etc that could cause extremely hard openings, but that doesn't seem to be the case here though.