RandomLemming

Packing economy

Maybe I'm just an old f### but I would be embarrassed to say a packer packed my rig. It's a basic skill that should be practiced (no excuses) by every one that calls him or her self a skydiver. I packed my first jump parachute and every jump after that and I always knew who to blame when it didn't open. I have the money to pay someone to pack for me whatever the cost, but the cost to my pride would be unbearable.
D-2626, SCR1999, SCS641, NSCR2350, GW6909

Blue Skies!!!!!!

Maybe I'm just an old f### but I would be embarrassed to say a packer packed my rig. It's a basic skill that should be practiced (no excuses) by every one that calls him or her self a skydiver. I packed my first jump parachute and every jump after that and I always knew who to blame when it didn't open. I have the money to pay someone to pack for me whatever the cost, but the cost to my pride would be unbearable.

I think that's a little harsh/absolute...? When I'm on vacation, I don't want to pack, I just want to relax and jump. As far as packers go, there are great ones and those are the packers you look for.
Just spent a week in Eloy, didn't pack either rig once. I just wanted back to back loads and lots of fun with friends on different loads. Two rigs, packers...it was a blast.

When it's "normal" and not any special occasion, by all means, pack yourself. I do too. But there are times....

When I'm packing, I'm in one place for five minutes, and so is the person next to me. Gives you a few minutes to talk to someone else without getting interrupted.

In my case that's a pretty lengthy conversation. ;)

To the original poster, I think I had a very similar packing learning curve. I'm down now to about 25 minutes. I'm definitely noting a decrease in packing time with home practice.

If you don't have room inside you can pack on the lawn. It's actually a pretty good weigh to tan (oh wait your in the UK there's no sun in England :P )

And for the record I'll still use packers on some loads if there's a tight call or I'm being coached or something.
-Patrick

I'm planning my trip out to SA for May this year, and I've just come across something interesting. Pack jobs at JSC appear to be R25 each and a jump there is R175.

That means 7 pack jobs pays for one jump.

The average that I've seen in the UK so far seems to be £5 per pack and £20 per jump. This means 4 pack jobs buys a jump.

What drives the packing economy? I understand that fuel and pilot costs will drive the jump ticket up, but what sets prices in the packing world ?

I mean, this cost is just great for me visiting SA because I pack quite slowly and this will give me better use of my time, but I honestly feel like I'm ripping the packer off a bit.

If your profile is right, I dare say that at your experience level you SHOULD be packing your own gear. Not just giving it to someone else. If you don't think you're fast enough, you'll never get any faster if you're not doing it. No matter how many jumps you have. It's one of the few times that you can actually save money and learn to do something.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

I'm SOOOOO glad there are still people out there who think like you.

Like it or not...packing is part of the sport.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Yeah, pack it by your self.
After a while you'll be surprised that sometimes the worst pack job has the best opening!
And how many more jumps you can do for the money you are saving!
Try the trash pack. Very quick. Well, I'm actally not recommending it, but there is one guy he has 2000 jumps and had only one cutaway while doing trashpack. :P

If your profile is right, I dare say that at your experience level you SHOULD be packing your own gear. Not just giving it to someone else. If you don't think you're fast enough, you'll never get any faster if you're not doing it. No matter how many jumps you have. It's one of the few times that you can actually save money and learn to do something.

No arguments , I should definitely be packing, and I do when I'm jumping locally and with my own rig.

I don't pack when I'm renting because while I'm happy to pack for me, I'm not happy to pack for the next person to rent that rig.