virgin-burner

hi everyone! i was only wondering..

If i ever become a skygod shoot me.

well, somehow that made me laugh a lot.. i dont want to become a skygod really, but i want to have a thing that makes my life living worth for.. i have quite a lot of hobbies, but none really could have such a grab on me as skydiving i' imagine it would be.. as mentioned by someone earlier, very short attention-span.. but very devoted in the time being..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

A lot of skydivers have very short attention spans. I just had this talk with a friend a few weekends back. We're all afflicted with ADD.

I skydive because I have wanted to fly all my life. Not in a plane or in a balloon, but real, Superman-like flying. Skydiving, at this point in history, is the closest I will ever get to that dream. And it's pretty damn close!

As skydivers, the sky is our playground. We see things and experience feelings that noone else in the world can even relate to. And if it ever gets boring (which I doubt) there are so many different disciplines to work on.

It is, by far, the most amazing thing that a person can do.

To answer your A License question, I believe as long as the DZ that you will be jumping at over there is a member of the USPA, they should honor the A License that you will receive in the US. Also, 2 weeks for an A License is do-able, but keep in mind that skydiving is highly dependant on the weather. And as a student, even more dependant. Wind can be your worst enemy. But, it is possible. You'll be jumping a lot, you will be tired, but it can be done.

Good luck man. Keep us updated on your progress.

very short attention-span.. but very devoted in the time being..

I think jumping may be the perfect thing for the short-attention-span types. It is something that, while lasting only one minute or so, is so intense that you cannot ignore it. It focuses your mind so closely for that short time that it is impossible to think of your bills, your job, or your bitchy mother-in-law. Then there is the occassional malfunction or CRW wrap that will really focus your attention and get you aroused...:S

While this sounds like great fun, there is a reason that everyone doesn't do it. It can be very scarey at first. Some are totally paralyzed with unspeakable terror and some are just scared shitless. But everyone is scared at first. You're dealing with very powerful forces, and you can be killed or disabled very quickly if you don't do things right. You can also be killed if you do everything right. It's funny that way. But that's part of the appeal. ;) Don't get into it after hearing someone say that it's perfectly safe. It's not. People stay alive by knowing the risks and managing them with proper safety procedures, experience, and luck.

well, i was diagnosed with ADHD myself, also cause for the mental-shit i mentioned beforehand..

it seems, skydiving is the most appropriate sport for me then..

you'll hear everything about my progress, promised!!

how about if i do my license here. is this recognized in the US? as i would have more time here to do so..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

;)

FYI skygod is often used as a desciption of people whose egos has grown faster than their skydiving ability. "Oh, you newbies aren't worth standing in my shadow or lick my boots. I have the coolest elliptical canopy, I can control my body in all freefall possitions, and is the source of all wisdom at this DZ. Pack my rig for free and I might share some tips with you." would be a typical statement.

We aren't super humans, we're just ordinary people like you, but we enjoy jumping out of moving aircraft.

You sound like a skydiver type to me, just let me give a couple of warnings: It's expensive, takes a lot of time, and it's not safe.

And really, just three words:

Do A Jump!

Sounds like you want to.

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

;)

FYI skygod is often used as a desciption of people whose egos has grown faster than their skydiving ability. "Oh, you newbies aren't worth standing in my shadow or lick my boots. I have the coolest elliptical canopy, I can control my body in all freefall possitions, and is the source of all wisdom at this DZ. Pack my rig for free and I might share some tips with you." would be a typical statement.

We aren't super humans, we're just ordinary people like you, but we enjoy jumping out of moving aircraft.

You sound like a skydiver type to me, just let me give a couple of warnings: It's expensive, takes a lot of time, and it's not safe.

And really, just three words:

Do A Jump!

Sounds like you want to.

:)

the SKYGOD in my intention was rather supposed to be ironic or the like, and to describe what i would feel if i've seen any video-footage.. like the "flying cows" from switzerland.. DAYUM!!!

i dont care about being expensive.. really! i've just inherited some money that wants to be spend.. B|

thanks mate for "being the skydiver-type".. i never really felt as being part of anything in my life, there were only very rare exceptions to that "rule".. for bein not save, if i only took my sexual adventures.. PHEEW, most of those were feckin'unsafe.. but they wre fun none-the-least as well.. but worth every one of them too!!! :P

and you're right, I WANT TOO.. today, weather fantastic, about 15° centigrade, no winds, no clouds, but i doubt the prefered DZ of my choice would already have traffic.. damn, in switzerland is almost thirty(!!!) DZ's..

but i choose the one where the producer of those "flying cows" is at home base.. piisfish, you hear me?!? and its pretty much the closest too.. but prices are WAY over BLUE SKIES!!! should i do it in the US still?

Others like myself jump and it just takes their breath away and leaves a high like nothing else. After one jump I knew there was nothing else out there that could compete with skydiving

oh yes, amen

AMEN LORD, YESSS, AMEN!!!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Others like myself jump and it just takes their breath away and leaves a high like nothing else. After one jump I knew there was nothing else out there that could compete with skydiving

oh yes, amen

Yeah, after my tandem jump, the only thing I thought was wrong with it was that it was over.

There is a reason why we do it, we love it.

It's also funny how I can find a kind of calm and quietness at 120mph. Maybe it's because I'm so concentrated. That's absolutely amazing. An exit really only lasting some seconds can feel really long. All the thoughts I have time for when I track away from my 2-way.

I'm not sure what you're really looking for in this thread (it's been jumping all over the map).

1) Skydiving is not like anything you've ever done before. I don't care if you've tried paragliding, are a rock climber, skier, mountain biker or just self professed "I'm extreme" type of dude who just likes to yank your own chicken. All these other sports are cool, but just because you've done them or are still active in them, it doesn't mean squat. They are not skydiving and they won't make you a good skydiver. The only way to know if skydiving is for you is to try it and see if you like it. But it takes hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of jumps just to start getting into what being a good skydiver is (in fact you're pretty much a beginner skydiver until you've made about 500+ jumps and only then does the real learning begin).

2) Skydivers come from all walks of life. At the DZ you will meet the professional skydiver who does nothing else in life but jump (many of them, not all, only do work jumps). You will meet professionals such as doctors, lawyers, engineerers, etc, etc, etc (skydiving is an expensive sport so naturally it attracts people who have money to spend). You will meet blue collar and white collar. You will meet housewives and even children of DZOs who jump. You will meet your poor skydivers. They are usually either professional skydivers and/or starving students often funding their habit working at the DZ in some form or another ... such as packing and/or driving shuttle vehicles back and forth. You will meet young and old, smart and some not so smart. You will meet many friendly skydivers and some are not so friendly. You will meet humble skydivers and arrogant skydivers. You will also meet the law abiding person (as most skydivers are ... in fact some are even cops) and then you will also meet skydivers who are less than law abiding. I don't think I have ever meet such a diverse group of people in society as I have met at the DZ.

3) Finally, skydiving is not safe. If you get into this sport and stay in it long enough, you will have friends who die in the sport. You may even witness one of your friends go in, or who knows it could be you, me or anyone else who jumps. I have five (count'em) dead friends and I've been lucky. Go into this sport with the wrong attitude and I guarantee you a ride out of here ... in a body bag. But go into the sport with the right attitude and you may (there are no guarantees) come out of here as a better person.

Skydiving has been a blessing and a curse in my life.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

thanks for that post man, i feel with your friends that have gone..

well, i believe, it should be a persons faith, or aims in live, to become an even better person.. wether thats through skydiving or other things.. such as religons, guns or politics.. but as seflish as i am, i belive skydiving for me would just do the job.. if i die while trying to maintain this.. so it may be.. karma has things waiting for us, we would never expect.. like myself, i had to appointments for jobs.. one i would have loeve to do, the other still okay. but at the company where the woman of my lifetime would work.. and that refuses to see me. guess what: the first company, after saying ok, i could start there, all of a sudden would refuse.. now i am left with the lesser preferred job, but with the ex-gf that refuses to talk to me..

life is a bitch sometime..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

2-way?!?

i just read all through the glossary, but that didnt turn up.. MY BAAAAD!!! ;)

2-way is a formation consisting of two people. It's a finer way of saying "me and the other guy". Or "half the 4-way" (FS 4-way is a popular competition discipline). I haven't done bigger formations yet, I'm just a newbie;)

Don't worry about all the words. You'll learn.

actually, i am quite obsessed with words.. i dont only love reading, but also love writing.. then words become quite lethal..

i am on my first novel.. maybe one day it will be published?! of course, you friendly folks will be some of the first to know and hear about it..

i have friends that tell me to get into journalism.. i have a friend (american) with a masters degree in english literature. she tells me i could (probably almost) do this in english..

i love writing, i love reading, i love words.. i love the blue skies.. the sun, the earth, and mostly all creatures, including myself in it.. and i love shitloads of whiskies, plus coca-cola, just mentioning it if my posts dont make any sense.. i had plenty from all of them today, so excuse any nonsense i might be posting from now on.. actually, i hardly feel my fingers touching the keypad right now.. B|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

To answer your A License question, I believe as long as the DZ that you will be jumping at over there is a member of the USPA, they should honor the A License that you will receive in the US. Also, 2 weeks for an A License is do-able, but keep in mind that skydiving is highly dependant on the weather. And as a student, even more dependant. Wind can be your worst enemy. But, it is possible. You'll be jumping a lot, you will be tired, but it can be done.

It's not quite as simple as that, but yes - learning to jump in the US where it is cheaper would be a very smart move if this is something you're sure you want to do.

I'm not sure whether Switzerland has it's own national skydiving organisation or not, however, if you obtain a USPA A licence, you should be fine almost anywhere with it. My licence is CSPA, and like the USPA licences, will generally be recognized in any FAI member country. Exact procedures when you visit vary from place to place, so you really need to talk to the staff at the dropzone at which you plan to jump to find out what they will require. Generally, when you go to a country other than the one that licensed you, take your log book and your licence, making sure all is in order and show it when you turn up. They may be happy to let you start jumping straight away, or maybe they will require you to purchase a temporary membership in the local organisation for insurance purposes, or maybe they will want you to do a coach jump so they can see that you actually can fly safely, but nobody's going to make you go through a course again if you can already fly.

should i spend two more weeks in southern california, like perris

If you can go to Perris, DO IT. It's a fantastic dropzone with some fantastic people.

As for the licensing stuff, I'm from Holland but did AFF at Perris. When you get back to your Heimat, the organisation and/or instructors there should be able to assess the value of what you accomplished abroad and issue you licenses/permissions accordingly. It helps that many of the Perris staff are widely recognized skydivers and their name and/or signature can go a long way.

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

We're all afflicted with ADD.

I thought (almost) everyone is afflicted with AAD :S

:D:D

Oh and btw. If you count in the flight, rental car, bunk house, food etc. you will see that doing AFF in CH might still be cheaper, even if you take the exchange rate into account. Being away from home usually makes everything more expensive. There are some very cool DZs in CH. Check them out, or check out www.piis.ch

...i want to have a thing that makes my life living worth for...

I'd recommend mushrooms.

been there, done that, too much hassle with authorities if you happen to cross their ways "flying".. :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Hi Christoph,

you can check with Karsten from www.paraclub.ch I know he sometimes organises AFF weeks and such in Elsinore, so you can do it at more or less a US price, in Schwytzerdütsch conditions.

Der Paraclub Beromünster bietet auch im Winter AFF-Kurse an.
03.-25. März 07 in Elsinore CA USA
Preise gelten wie bei den Kursen in der Schweiz zzgl. Reise und Unterkunft. Weiterschulung bis zum schweizer Brevet möglich.
Mehr Infos und Anmeldung unter [email protected]

Otherwise you can also get all the swiss info you need on www.swissskydive.org

If you go with Karsten tell him that Fish oriented you there:P Anyways take contact with them guys from Beromünster In my opinion it's the most progressive DZ in Switz. Cool crew, great people, super infrastructure and a sweet plane. Oh yeah and nice girls too :) . And unfortunately I only jump there 2-3 times a year.

edited to add :

and to describe what i would feel if i've seen any video-footage.. like the "flying cows" from switzerland.. DAYUM!!!

but i choose the one where the producer of those "flying cows" is at home base.. piisfish, you hear me?!? and its pretty much the closest too.. but prices are WAY over BLUE SKIES!!! should i do it in the US still?

where did you see flying cows ?? :o They belong to Gruyères, but the originator, my master Pascal, is now based in Bero. I now have the task to continue the Flying Cows saga.

As said above, check with Päscu or Karsten and try to do the AFF in Elsinore maybe, otherwise in Bero it will also be sweet. Maybe if you do it in another country you'll realise how spoilt we are with the scenery in Schwitzerland.

Hope to see you there for the Hellaherb Boogie in July.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

hey fish!

i actually did some research on freefly.ch, there were the links to the flying cows (for those interested: http://www.epco.aero/fr/films.htm ), initially i thought that you actually were päscu!

i think,i decided i'll do my aaf in beromünster. its pretty much the closest DZ to baden, and yes, the scenery there is just wonderful.. also, i dont think its a bad idea to have some kind of "home base", if i'd ever happen to have questions, and i am sure i will, to have people "at your fingertips" that can help you out, know how you're jumping and such.. and if i ever happen to wanting to have a beer with some crazy folks, i dont have to fly 8'000km in order to get it too.. B|

päscu is a crazy man, isnt he? that mountain-swooping pretty much looked like some of the crazier stuff i happened to come along.. just WOW!!! and he seems to be a good laugh too..

all those pretty girls, any chances one of them becoming my instructor? two would be better tough..:P

EDIT: i wont forget you nic, you'll get a free jump on me.. just read up on paraclub..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda