virgin-burner

hi everyone! i was only wondering..

..like what mindstate all those skydivers were into..

for me, free falling has been a dream for some time.
i am 32 years old, been snowboarding and mountainbiking for about twenty years, did some rockclimbing for almost ten years, did some pretty crazy shit on all those disciplines.. so i know about taking care of oneself, i know how to follow safety procedures, do only stuff i feel comfortable with, not go too much beyond my borders.. extend and strech them, but not to overdo them..

now, skydiving for sheep seems quite, well, fucked up suicidal? i dont believe this, as most people refer to rockclimbing the same way.. if i do what i am supposed to do in emergency situations, rock climbing is also about depending on your fellow, i'll be pretty safe.. of course, material can break down, but if you take care of your gear, this is almost never going to happen! i did refuse to climb with people i did not have full trust in too..

besides all that, seeing all the videos and the smiles from skydivers, i dont believe they're gone completely nuts.. its people having fun and loving every second of their lifetime, wether its jumping, drinking, eating or f***ing.. ;)

so, whats your approach in life?

besides all that, thats my nearly first post here, no jumps yet, if you dont count a tandem-paraglide which was boring shitless kinda thing.. i have a whole lot of questions to ask too.. take this as my first post on here, typically n00b, be kind.. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i have a whole lot of questions to ask too.

Try a first jump course.

As for mindset, I don't think you'll find any single mindset across the sport. People get into it for different reasons and stay in for different reasons.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

... skydiving for sheep ...

????:S

sheep: people who follow their (opinion)leaders without questioning.. not an intelligent thing to do, so stay away from it!! :ph34r:
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Try a first jump course.

As for mindset, I don't think you'll find any single mindset across the sport. People get into it for different reasons and stay in for different reasons.

so, why do YOU do it then?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

It's exciting. It helps drive away the depression that plagues me.

Skydiving isn't for everyone. Some people jump and they are just plain scared shitless, other people jump and think that's cool but I could never do that again. Others like myself jump and it just takes their breath away and leaves a high like nothing else. After one jump I knew there was nothing else out there that could compete with skydiving.

Try a first jump course.

so, why do YOU do it then?

Because I am addicted and too weak to give up the skydiving drug:P

Edit tio add: http://www.dropzone.com/content/Detailed/519.html read this
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

It's exciting. It helps drive away the depression that plagues me.

Skydiving isn't for everyone. Some people jump and they are just plain scared shitless, other people jump and think that's cool but I could never do that again. Others like myself jump and it just takes their breath away and leaves a high like nothing else. After one jump I knew there was nothing else out there that could compete with skydiving.

your post was the encouraging one i would wanted to have happened.. thanks mate!

to be honest, i used to be quite suicidal, still kind of am, i guess i just dont care as long i am having fun with what i am doing. i am melancholic, a lot of the times depressed. i love adrenaline, i used to do other stuff that replaced that, but this just caused more troubles and pain.. i am looking for the ultimate, i think skydiving could do it!!

my name might be missleading, i dont want to "burn in", but i want to go to burningman this year, it will be my first burn.. and if everything turns out right, i'll arrive with a parachute, i am looking for mindaltering stuff to be precise..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

The feel of the air when you first leave the plane makes you feel more free than anything I've ever experienced. Its like standing up in the back of a pickup truck, arms outstretched, while its speeding through a tunnel. I feel infinite.

-Auram

p.s. Cookie if anyone knows the reference in the last two sentences

so, you friendly folks have cleared my mind already..

now, i might put up the next question: here in switzerland, aaf-courses run about 2'000.- $, and altough i never wanted to visit the US, i am considering it for burning man.. now, since i'll be there anyway, i've seen courses run around half the price.. so, should i spend two more weeks in southern california, like perris if i got that right, since the guy giving me a ride to nevada is from there, to do my student-falls there?

how will this work with the swiss-laws, if i get an a-licence in the US, am i allowed to do anymore freefalls in good ole'sissyland to progress to become a skydiving-freeflyer here?

EDIT: the beginning of my post was to be intended to say kind' of thing i was pretty a sporty person, picking things up quite fast, i dont have any masters degrees, but i am working on them.. so, i am not stoopid, i know my body, and i know how to use it.. will these two extra weeks be enough to get an a-licence? also, english is not my first language, but if you'd hear me talking, you'd never suspect me to be SWISS-german speaking as my mothers tongue..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

...to be honest, i used to be quite suicidal, still kind of am,

i guess i just dont care as long i am having fun with what i am doing. i am melancholic,

a lot of the times depressed.

Might wanna get that old wiring checked out first, be careful what you wish for!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...to be honest, i used to be quite suicidal, still kind of am,

i guess i just dont care as long i am having fun with what i am doing. i am melancholic,

a lot of the times depressed.

Might wanna get that old wiring checked out first, be careful what you wish for!

believe me, i did, i tried a lot, all sorts of medication, all sorts of psychologists, all sorts of psychatrists.. they dont do it. at the bottomline, its only YOU that can make a difference.. but somehow, i havent found it yet.. probably i am just one of those generation-X'ers that has too many options.. remember kafka or nietzsche, altough recognized as geniouses of our time, they all went completely mad after some time.. well, maybe that was just due to the fact that skydiving, nor flying, was invented at the time.. i am sure they would have had fun with it.. and became SKYGODS!!! B|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Why skydive ? The world that exists outside of the airplane door is completely amazing. Leaving an airplane and entering freefall is like entering another dimension. It is a world where, when you learn to work it, the elemental forces of nature are at your disposal to play with. You can move one hand and propel yourself in any direction - then stop and zoom back. You can change the muscle tension in your legs, and spin yourself at a blinding speed, then raise one hand and stop. You can see and feel things that no special effects lab has ever been able to recreate, and do things that you can never describe adequately to someone who has never been there. People have all sorts of reasons to skydive. Those are a few of mine. ;)

Kevin

We need a reason to skydive now?

I just did it because I can....damn.

Actually, I do it because it's the most thrilling thing I've ever done and will ever do. I don't have a specific reason for doing it, I just enjoy it. Same reason I have for any other thing I do.

The reason I keep doing it is not necessarily linked to jumping, but the atmosphere around my home DZ. I don't think you can walk into a group of people like that, trust your life to them on your first few jumps, then build a relationship to the point that you trust these people more than your own family.

PLus I get a kick out of people thinking I'm out of my mind for jumping from planes. Some people freak out on me, som people are interested, and others just can't comprehend it.

Thats' why I do it.

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

...and became SKYGODS!!!

Just me or is there a reason you don't sound like a woofo??

i am swiss, please explain what a "woofo" is?! thanks, kisses and hugs in advance!!! :P
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

The world that exists outside of the airplane door is completely amazing. Leaving an airplane and entering freefall is like entering another dimension. It is a world where, when you learn to work it, the elemental forces of nature are at your disposal to play with. You can move one hand and propel yourself in any direction - then stop and zoom back. You can change the muscle tension in your legs, and spin yourself at a blinding speed, then raise one hand and stop.

I like your description better than mine...

Yours sounds so "matrix-ey"

But it's all true, your description fits great
"When once you have tasted flight..."