DSE

Utah State Senator Supports DZ's

SB 179 on "Immunity of Counties and Municipalities for Sky Diving Activities."

Would be a good thing for DZ's and landlords to have the fear of lawsuit no longer hanging above their heads. The Skydive Utah dropzone, like many DZ's, leases it's land and buildings from a municipality.
I'd assume a few states already have something like this in place?

Senator Goodfellow (D) invites folks to let him know how they feel about this state bill.
[email protected]

Too bad the online article doesn't show the picture seen in the print version; it shows several state politicians on a tandem skydive.

It looks like this bill simply exempts municipalities from the liability of skydiving, and does NOT extend that protection to private operators. The new language simply adds skydiving to an existing list of activities that already have municipality exemption as follows:

(d) "Recreational activity" includes a rodeo, an equestrian activity, skateboarding, skydiving, roller skating, ice skating, fishing, hiking, bike riding, or in-line skating on property:

It's a good bill that should make it easier for drop zones to operate on public airports.

See the complete text of Utah SB179 at: http://le.utah.gov/~2007/bills/sbillint/sb0179.htm
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I'm going to keep my eyes on this one carefully. Our city passed a bill similar to this when a bunch of high school kids got the $$ together to build a BMX park in the city park.
I've head a lot of stories of Dropzones being tossed off the airport because the city gets cold feet in regards to the Risks of having skydivers. this bill is a step in the right direction.
=========Shaun ==========