PilotLevi

Have you ever forgot your goggles?

yup - I would think that most people have done that at least once in their "career".

Mine was a H&P that turned into a full altitude load halfway up. I jumped anyway, and squinted ;)

We also keep a pair of goggles in the plane's glovebox in case somebody does forget theirs (or they let them get sucked out the door while a student is being dispatched :D )

I only used a full face helmet between jumps 50 and 700, other than a few tandems. When I bought an open face camera helmet, I was so scared I was gonna forget my goggles that I bought a spare pair that fold flat and fit in my jumpsuit pocket. I'm not sure if they'll actually unfold into a useable shape, but I haven't needed em yet. My goggles are ALWAYS strapped to my camera helmet unless I'm wearing them. My eyes don't do well with wind.

Dave

yup @ the wffc 2005, a jump with Shaylan Allman, as we docked he was laughing at me, he then reached for my forehead , as a new jumper I thought it was a belly horny
gorilla??? wtf, My goggles were on the top of my helmut
which he quickly corrected and snapped back to my face.
I felt like I had sand in my eyes for the whole day.

As stated above and what did you do? Also theres some goggles I'm looking for anyone know any good websites that has them?

he he he is all I can say...

When I got my AFF rating, I was encouraged to use "SHAGGR" (shoes, helmet, alti, gloves, goggles, radio) on the student gear checks. Well, I started doing it on my own checks, and never have forgotten them. But another jumper with much more experience than I made fun of me. The same day he was begging everyone for a pair of goggles on the plane when he left his on the ground.

oops.

P.S. I broke my glasses on a plane ride once, and jumped out without eye protection. I pulled at 11K, as was the plan. So I had about 10-15 seconds of naked eye at near terminal, and I lived.

i remember one jump, i was doing a 2 way cat and mouse with a kiwi.. he was unnoficially coaching... i jumped out, and thought, "wow, it seems extra windy, i wonder why?" .. then i realized that i left my goggles sitting above my eyes on the helmet. put them on and no problem. I will admit, i could see just fine without them on.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

We too keep a spare pair of goggles on the plane just in case someone forgets theirs - i've used them once :$ Like Dave said, my goggles are clipped to my camera helmet all the time and i do constant checks to make sure i have them before we walk out and board the plane. My TI and i also make sure that our tandem passengers goggles are clipped to the shoulder clips on our harness.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Nope. But I once forgot to flip the faceplate of my Havok down before doing a poised solo exit (low jump numbers, first time being last out of the aircraft, let's say I forgot I even had a helmet :$).
Thankfully, flipping the faceplate down on a Havok while in freefall is trivial, but I'm sure it did spoil the 'poised' part somewhat :D

Cheers,

Vale

I forgot my goggles once a loooong time ago. More recently I forgot to put my visor down on my helmet. The latter is easier to rectify. As mentioned above, it is common, but not universal practice to keep a spare pair of goggles in the plane. The goggle-less jump wasn't too bad, as long as I squinted a lot I could pretty much manage to see.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

The same day he was begging everyone for a pair of goggles on the plane when he left his on the ground.

I once gave my goggles at 10k to someone who'd forgotten them and said they were going to ride the plane down.

Still haven't had so much as a beer for it[:/]:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The same day he was begging everyone for a pair of goggles on the plane when he left his on the ground.

I once gave my goggles at 10k to someone who'd forgotten them and said they were going to ride the plane down.

Still haven't had so much as a beer for it[:/]:P

It is not about the beer - it is about the things that person hopefully do in return, like help someone else out...

Was it your spare goggles, or did you go nekid?

I forgot to put the shield down on my Z1 a few jumps ago. I had the shield down with a crack open to let enough air in so that I could breath on the plane. I jumped out and the shield flew up. I grabbed it quickly, pushed it down and snapped it while maintaining a good arch and stable exit. Woot. :D

Recently on my last jump I wore a pair of glasses (ran out of contacts) with my Z1 full face helmet which resulted in some pretty bad fogged up glasses. I could barely see in freefall and even worse under canopy. This resulted in not being able to check the traffic, landing downwind and almost having a collision with another jumper which caused him to have to turn to avoid me and land downwind. Oops.

Luckily I landed without breaking anything even though I could barely see well enough to decide when to flare at the right moment. Was not my best landing but I think I did a pretty good PLF and landed with no injuries whatsoever even though I landed hard and got dragged across the grass for who knows how far (10 ft?).

Lessons learned from this: don't wear glasses on a jump anymore without an open face, check the wind before THAT jump (I chose my final according to how everyone landed on a previous jump) every time.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I jumped once w/o goggles, but I didnt forget them on the ground. I put on my helmet and stepped outside on the camera step. Thats when I realized I had the goggles on my neck. Too late to fix it.:S
It was a tracking jump from full altitude and it was not a real problem, I could see relatively fine. Eyes where red and crying when I landed, but no big deal.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Was it your spare goggles, or did you go nekid?

Nekkid.

Was a pretty cold day so the dive to the formation was a bit uncomfortable, once I was in no probs at all. I've often done short delays with no goggles anyway so it was an easy decision - I'd hate to see anyone lose out on a jump for no reason.

BTW, It's all about the beer!:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've forgotten them a few times, once there were no spare goggles in the plane for me to borrow. So for that jump I just ended up leading a tracking dive on my back. No problem at all! Head-down is not too bad without goggles either.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I could barely see in freefall and even worse under canopy. This resulted in not being able to check the traffic, landing downwind and almost having a collision with another jumper which caused him to have to turn to avoid me and land downwind.

Why didn't ya just open your helmet under canopy? I wear glasses under my Z1 on every jump.... it's not hard to prevent or get rid of the fogging glasses. Don't close the helmet until the door is open and you're about to exit. While in the plane or any time it seems like it might fog, breath through your mouth. You can be really careful and make sure you're breathing through the mouth vent.

Under canopy, open it up. Only need to crack it open to prevent fogging. I used to hate landing with it closed so I'd open it all the way, but now I just leave it cracked a tiny bit or leave it all the way closed when it doesn't fog at all.

Dave