GravityJunky

DC-9 modified for Skydiving Perris, California

How Schweeeet is this? B|B|B|
DC-9 Modified for Skydiving LEEZEL TANGLAO
The Press Enterprise

PERRIS, Calif. -- In a past life, passengers boarded this plane, sat down and waited until they reached their destination.

Today, the passengers make their own landing.
After three years of a lengthy approval and certification process, Perris Valley Skydiving is reaching new heights faster with the use of its own DC-9 jetliner.

Purchased in 2003 as scrap for about $50,000, Perris Valley Airport owner Ben Conatser has modified the 88-passenger plane to use for skydiving.

The passenger seats remain but the rear staircase has been altered to allow skydivers to jump off the rear of the aircraft. The plane can still be used as a regular passenger plane.

"It's a hot rod. It's an airplane with a lot of power. It's got a small body," said Joe Matos, the plane's pilot. "It was designed for this kind of work, really."

The Skydive Perris DC-9 is 27 feet long with a wingspan of 93 feet. The private airport's runway had to be expanded from 3,000 feet to 5,100 feet to accommodate the aircraft.

Since receiving certification in late December, more than 1,000 jumps have been made from the DC-9.

"It's a perfect jump ship - four minutes to altitude. You can put out 70 to 80 jumpers," said Conatser.

It can take a Twin Otter plane 15 to 20 minutes to reach the proper altitude (12,500 to 13,000 feet) with 20 jumpers, Conatser added.

"It's completely different what we do with this airplane and what we do with American Airlines," said Matos, a former American Airlines pilot. "You take an airplane from point A to point B and get rid of the people and that was it. Now we're always empty on landings. Nobody on board."

Mary Tortomasi, jumpmaster and flight attendant, said that skydiving out of the plane is a rush.

"It's like kids in a candy store. This is the candy, it's eye candy, to be able to jump out of the jet," she said.

But getting necessary approval to jump from the DC-9 wasn't an easy task.

Conatser had to wade through mountains of paper work and several certification tests with the Federal Aviation Administration and other agencies for about three years to get the chance to use the jetliner.

"Nobody has something like this," he said. "They're super cautious and they want to make sure everything works, and so do we."

While Conatser waited for certification to use the plane for skydiving, the DC-9 was used to help in relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Working with a church group, Matos and Conatser loaded the plane with supplies bound for Louisiana. They also helped transport evacuees to Houston.

Conatser said he doubts anyone else would try to do the same with a DC-9 or a similar aircraft. He said he spent about $500,000 for testing and modifications.

"It really takes a lot of tenacity. It takes a lot of money to do this," he said. "It probably will never break even with what we're doing. It was a challenge. It was something we started and we said we were going to do it and we did it. In the skydiving world, they believe what they see."
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

The Skydive Perris DC-9 is 27 feet long with a wingspan of 93 feet.

Gee, how do "70 to 80 jumpers" fit in there?:S

on the wings, because the Perris DC9 got the An-2 modification :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The Skydive Perris DC-9 is 27 feet long with a wingspan of 93 feet.

Gee, how do "70 to 80 jumpers" fit in there?:S

In the seats. If you're little, or lucky enough to be in 1st class it's a breeze. For a big guy like me in tourist seating it's a bit of a bitch, but hey, it's only for 4 minutes. Most of us have flown enough commercial flights to know what a jet takeoff is like, but to get that feeling at the dropzone, with your rig on is so cool it's almost silly.

It can't be only 27 ft long either, maybe more like 127 ft ? Gotta be a typo.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It can't be only 27 ft long either, maybe more like 127 ft ? Gotta be a typo.

A DC-9 is 27 feet tall. I've seen that typo floating around a bit lately. I think whoever wrote the original article for AP or wherever misquoted the specs and everyone else is just copying it.

So much for journalistic integrity and checking your facts. Did anybody printing this crap think of how ridiculous this sounds? Who's seen a jet airliner that's got a wingspan that's more than 3 times its length?

isnt a jump ticket in that thing like 85 dollars?

Yup, I jumped out of it on Saturday and it was well worth it.

I was first to exit too (one of the benefits of flying coach :)
It's the kind of thing I'd expect to have to plan a trip to a boogie to do so it's pretty amazing to show up at your local DZ and hear they're jumping the jet today. I asked at manifest about requirements to jump and apparently any licensed skydiver can get a jump ticket for it.

I hope they can sustain a level of interest in jumping it. It's a blast, literally.

Yup, I jumped out of it on Saturday and it was well worth it.

Damn, I'm jealous! >:(:DHope you had a great time! I have to check this out for myself!B|

Is there any rhyme or reason as to when the Jet flies? Is it just when there is enough interest? I will be in San Diego of the week of March 26th – April 1st and would love to jump the jet.

neilp

Not that I know of, some jumpers were saying that when it's busy enough they try to organize a jet load but there may be other factors e.g. on this occasion not everyone was a sport jumper.

I expect the boogie on April 4th-9th will be your best chance for a jet jump, looks like you just miss it. Perhaps you should reschedule:D.

Perris manifest will be able to give you more authoritative answers: +1 (951) 657-3904

isnt a jump ticket in that thing like 85 dollars?

yes.. but so are other novelty jump craft. Helicopters, around $50, balloon jumps, around $75ish . so, the price is not that far fetched.

40$ for the An-72 in Cochstedt....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Just curious if they are launching any tandems out of this craft. I thought I was spoiled years ago doing a tandem out of an otter but this would take the cake for any newbies. Imagine telling your friends you skydived and then telling them you did it from a jet. As if you didn't need video for proof from a regular plane, this would take the cake.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

Just curious if they are launching any tandems out of this craft. I thought I was spoiled years ago doing a tandem out of an otter but this would take the cake for any newbies. Imagine telling your friends you skydived and then telling them you did it from a jet. As if you didn't need video for proof from a regular plane, this would take the cake.

I heard they did tandems from the jet at WFFC last year.

I know, Schweeet! Hey?
And to think I started out juming from a Piper>> & then Cessenas... I gotta jump from this Bad Boy!

The DC-910 is 104.4 ft long and 27.5 ft tall at the tail. There is a DC-9-50 that has the same tail heigt wih an overall length of 133.5ft, but I don't know that 85 bucks is worth it more than once other than to say you juped a jet.
Main Entry: 1hav•oc
Pronunciation: 'ha-v&k, -vik
Function: noun
1 : wide and general destruction; DEVASTATION; great confusion and disorder