silentscope12

GI Bill

I'm gonna say no. Read into the fine print on the GI bill or go talk to a counselor at VA to find out what the prerequisites are for a course to be approved. If it isn't a recognized and accredited facility of higher learning/education they won't pay for it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That might have been true in the past, but the recent revisions to the Post 9/11GI Bill open the opportunity for:

Effective October 1, 2011
Allows students to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill for -
Non-college degree (NCD) programs: Non-college degree (NCD) programs offered at non-degree granting schools: Pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees or $17,500, whichever is less. Also pays up to $83 per month for books and supplies.
On-the-job and apprenticeship training: Pays a monthly benefit amount prorated based on time in program and up to $83 per month for books and supplies.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/Post911_changes.html

Of course, there are probably a zillion hoops that both the school and the vet have to jump through to make that happen.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I am guessing you are right that hoops will be have to be jumped through. I was told that the post 9-11 change sounds really great but it too has it's limits at what they will accept and cover.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I dont think you will be able to because AFF is not an "accredited" course. But you could get a rigger ticket or pilot certification.

FYI: Most times you can't get the GI Bill to pay for a pilot cert unless you've already got a private. They say it's because private piloting is a recreational, not a occupation, but once you have your private, you can get it to pay for a bit of your commercial.

I didn't bother going thru the hassle for getting it to pay for my riggers ticket, and I think the only school that may even be on the list is the USAPR.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It goes in cycles with college curricula, working students, and skydiving seasonality. The points being, 1) if you're going to use your GI bennies AND want to skydive... do something where you can continue your education if you have an injury, 2) after college, you can continue your revenue stream if you have an injury, and 3) the main point being is there are a number of schools with skydiving clubs... http://www.collegeskydiving.com/college-clubs/
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

This is my first post here on the forum but I wanted to chime in as my drop zone is currently in the process of being accredited for AFF to be paid for as a certificate program by the post 9/11 GI Bill.

The kid who got this process started was a combat controller in the airforce but got hurt after his initial training, therefore was unable to go through the "pipeline" (additional schools such as dive, free fall, etc). So he has been taking scuba and AFF on the civilian side before he moves over to the marine corps officer program.

Anyways, if you want you should contact the owner of my DZ, his name is Jimmy and the name of the DZ is norcalskydive.com. Go there and call or email Jimmy, he might be able to get you a blank copy of whatever forms he had to fill out as the owner, then you could give those forms to your dz owner and he can send them into the local VA office near you.

I was a rigger in the Marines for the last 8 years and never got to hit up MFF (military free fall) so it would be awesome if I could get a check refunding my AFF course costs!

Good luck! : )

>the points being,
>1) if you're going to use your GI bennies AND want to skydive...
>do something where you can continue your education if you have an injury
>2) after college, you can continue your revenue stream if you have an injury,

That's a great approach, and also uses the GI bill for what it's intended for (education.) And puts you in a much better position if you do get hurt skydiving; there are a lot more desk jobs available for college grads than non-grads.

Check with Embry Riddle in Daytona. They are an aviation school and use to have a skydiving club. Go there to learn air traffic control, aircraft maintenance, etc and jump at Deland. If you need extra money for jumping give plasma like everyone else there.
I think that 9/11 change is designed for vocational training like plumber, electrician. I went through apprenticeship training 40 years ago and it was such a hassle to get benefits for it. Maybe they made it easier. You can also get unemployment benefits when you get out. Those you get from your home state.
Get in the VA health car system as soon as you get out too. Go for check ups, even if you are fine. That way you can get help if you need it.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Should have started with this but I already have my BA in Criminal Justice but thx for the input everyone.

>the points being,
>1) if you're going to use your GI bennies AND want to skydive...
>do something where you can continue your education if you have an injury
>2) after college, you can continue your revenue stream if you have an injury,

That's a great approach, and also uses the GI bill for what it's intended for (education.) And puts you in a much better position if you do get hurt skydiving; there are a lot more desk jobs available for college grads than non-grads.

On-the-job and apprenticeship training: Pays a monthly benefit amount prorated based on time in program and up to $83 per month for books and supplies.

I jumped through the hoops in 1969/70 to get the first 4 years on the Fire Dept. accepted as an apprenticeship program.

The place that gives the training has to develop training plan outlining the course of study, hours on each topic and goals of the course.

It took me 7 months running back and forth between the Dept. Training Chief and the VA. But when it was finally approved they paid me back benefits and it lasted 4 years.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals