scuba5k

Question about working for a drop zone.

Last fall I got addicted to skydiving and I heard my local drop zone is hiring for the upcoming 2007 season. I was offered a positions in the manifest and I was just wondering will I even have time for skydiving? I figured getting a summer job working in the manifest will be a great way to get knowledge of the sport. However, of course this summer I would like to finish my AFF and get about 100+ jumps. Now I've been thinking if I'm working in the manifest on nice summer days won't I be too busy working? I'm guessing every drop zone is different but I figured I would ask. My question is will I be able to get a lot of jumps in working for a drop zone? Thanks guys.

See about working half of the day. I have a friend that's going to be doing that this season. Work 8-1, than you will have time for jumping in the afternoon.

Of course, they may want someone who can devote a full time position. In that case, I would opt for just jumping, dude. You can learn things by being on the ground be the real knowledge comes by being in the air.

Just talk to the DZO and I'm sure he'll tell you exactly what his expectations are. Maybe he needs you there weekends only and during the week you get to go a jump? Not only do you hang around the skydiving world, you might also get a staff discount on jumps and gear if they have one.

Hey Dude,

I was in your shoes a few years ago, with 6 jumps I moved to a dz for the summer and left with 154 I think. You will not make enough money for anything except skydiving working on a dropzone, that includes food most likely, I think I lost 10lb. Also I was able to borrow gear for a long time from friends and lived on their couch. I suggest you get a real job during the week. If you are in manifest at most dz's you won't jump much, I worked manifest but I was also involved in packing and video sales. It is a fun time but if you are serious about the sport you should bust your ass 9-5 at a real job and hit the dz after work and on the weekends. You will get just as many jumps and still be able to afford food, women, etc. Good luck.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

even on busiest dropzones anyone have a day or 2 days off.... u can work as a manifest 5 days and 2 days jump as much as u can

if u dont work for money (as manifest) i think a 5 days job during the week and 2 and a half days of jumping during friday-sunday is better

just my opinion

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"