1 1
jkwon

When should you try rear riser landings??

richoH

***I've always been concerned if I try to land on my rears and then flare with the toggles the last minute, letting up from the rears will cause the canopy to dive. Sort of like if you went into a half-flare, then completely let up and went into a full flare.

So I guess the question is can you safely try to level out on your rears a few feet off the ground, release the rears and then flare with the toggles?

Don't learn to fly parachutes from the internet.

Well said. richoH ;) Considering canopy skills are not included in the USPA syllabus for Coaches and AFF Instructors. (Ya I know there their for AFFi's, but a good canopy class run by so many fine folks like Brian G, G. Windmiller, Flight One, to name a few are so much more comprehensive.)

But I read this whole thing once again and my observations about what is missing is perhaps more important than many of the well meaning DIY comments.

Point being many combinations of jumpers and canopies, if you pussy foot the flare instead of flaring,... you actually decrease drag, causing the canopy to , in some combinations really speed up. This can be very distressing to someone trying to flare using their rears with the mindset of backing out and using their toggles at the last minute. Remember hanging on your toggles / rears at altitude is the often forgotten method of returning from a long spot, depending upon conditions. For my 1.1 canopy hanging on the toggles just about 4 inches and I can feel the thing actually accelerate. Something to consider for anyone contemplating just trying out the rear riser only flare, close to the ground who isn't fully committed to flaring.

Another possibility, suggestion, when practicing this essential maneuver is to go and rent something more in the larger sizes. More than once I've found myself in a student big boy rig, reading a magazine during the whole flare, knitting, answering phone calls etc., Point being big canopies take a long time to flare. ANYWAYS more than once I didn't even bother to flare using a rented big boy canopy when I was on a very soft field practicing plf's. And before many of you take my head off. Many students forget to flare and walk away, which is the point of some of those student sizes in the first place. Which means it's a great opportunity to practice rear riser stuff. Which many people I know have done in the past. Then working their way down to their "normal" canopies. This is one case where I support " downsizing." Once you have mastered the rear riser landings on a large canopy, life is easier. IMO.
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.

ChrisD2.0

Well said. richoH ;) Considering canopy skills are not included in the USPA syllabus for Coaches and AFF Instructors. (Ya I know there their for AFFi's, but a good canopy class run by so many fine folks like Brian G, G. Windmiller, Flight One, to name a few are so much more comprehensive.)

But I read this whole thing once again and my observations about what is missing is perhaps more important than many of the well meaning DIY comments.

... [SNIP]

Folks, Be extremely cautious about relying on anything ChrisD2.0 says.

He is clearly the same ChrisD who appeared for a while about 5 years ago, with a phony profile of inflated jump numbers, and posted as if he was a seasoned instructor, with a cock-sure attitude quite often contradicting actual seasoned instructors on all sorts of issues by stating things that were wrong, particularly about training and safety.

So much so that it prompted several to find out who he actually was, and expose the fact that he was a phony masquerading as an knowledgeable and experienced expert. He then posted a sad mea culpa, and then disappeared. But clearly he is back, doing the exact same thing. He is as much an expert in all that he claims now as he was back then.

The end of ChrisD (1.0):
http://www.dropzone.com/...rum.cgi?post=4581656

So beware.

Divalent

Well said. richoH ... [SNIP]

Folks, Be extremely cautious about relying on anything ChrisD2.0 says.

... [SNIP]
The end of ChrisD (1.0):
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4581656

So beware.
I borked the link in my post above: I fixed it now in this post.
(http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4581656)

bloody_trauma

Had my first mal on a toggle knotted around my riser... would hav

I took a reserve ride. When your canopy isnt steerable because you can’t use your toggles... cut away, just because you could theoretically do something doesn’t mean you should attempt it for the first time under duress or at all for that matter.

I've had the same situation more than once. You can flare on your rear risers, but I found a better solution (actually my wife Vskydiver told me this one).

Reach above the keeper ring and grab the steering line itself. Pull on that to steer and flare. Practice up high. I've had normal stand up landings doing this.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, ChrisD2.0 said:

Don't learn to fly parachutes from the internet.

Point being many combinations of jumpers and canopies, if you pussy foot the flare instead of flaring,... you actually decrease drag, causing the canopy to , in some combinations really speed up. This can be very distressing to someone trying to flare using their rears with the mindset of backing out and using their toggles at the last minute. Remember hanging on your toggles / rears at altitude is the often forgotten method of returning from a long spot, depending upon conditions. For my 1.1 canopy hanging on the toggles just about 4 inches and I can feel the thing actually accelerate. Something to consider for anyone contemplating just trying out the rear riser only flare, close to the ground who isn't fully committed to flaring.

Another possibility, suggestion, when practicing this essential maneuver is to go and rent something more in the larger sizes. More than once I've found myself in a student big boy rig, reading a magazine during the whole flare, knitting, answering phone calls etc., Point being big canopies take a long time to flare. ANYWAYS more than once I didn't even bother to flare using a rented big boy canopy when I was on a very soft field practicing plf's. And before many of you take my head off. Many students forget to flare and walk away, which is the point of some of those student sizes in the first place. Which means it's a great opportunity to practice rear riser stuff. Which many people I know have done in the past. Then working their way down to their "normal" canopies. This is one case where I support " downsizing." Once you have mastered the rear riser landings on a large canopy, life is easier. IMO.

Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.

This is what we do at SD.

Larger canopies to learn on.

We are the biggest all year Drop Zone with multiple locations in the civilized world. Works wonders for us. In fact all students are assigned larger than their calculated canopy size.

And yes I noticed you were the only one to recommend a safety first approach from the perspective of recommending something in the most friendly learning kind of way. 

JVX