RandomLemming

First cutaway - not paying the beer fine

Well, I had my first cutaway at 08:31 this morning, and I offered to pay the beer fine, but no-one took me up on the offer. That might be because there were no skydivers anywhere around.

The event took place on the floor of Girona airport because the drone behind the desk was not allowing my rig as hand luggage. Ryanair allowed it out of the UK as hand luggage with no quibbles, even though it was 11.8KG, but coming back, even though it was down to 11.5KG they would not allow me to carry it as hand luggage. So I chopped the main, put it in my suitcase, moved a bunch of clothes to my rig bag, and carried the rest of the rig hand luggage.

Other than that, Empuriabrava is an awesome place. I passed my FS1 yesterday (which I DID pay the fine for) and had the best time skydiving since Lodi. Highly recommended, just fly BA seeing as they don't have a weight limit on hand luggage, just a size limit.

You sure? I'd really hate to impose on anyone, you know ? :P

Seriously though, I'm going to be down there anyway this weekend if the weather looks any good. I've pretty much nailed my landings while out at Empuria (except for one embarrassing incident) so I'm heading out to do my CH2 nominated landings. And I need someone to just double check that I've put my rig back together properly :D

The event took place on the floor of Girona airport because the drone behind the desk was not allowing my rig as hand luggage.

So I chopped the main, put it in my suitcase, moved a bunch of clothes to my rig bag, and carried the rest of the rig hand luggage.

That's not a cutaway, nor was there any reserve ride. You will owe beer for your first reserve ride.

The beer's not a fine. It's a rite of passage that allows you to share your experience with other both less and more experienced than you. While you're all standing around, sharing a few brews and chatting, you might learn something from people who've been there before, and others who've never been there might learn something from you. It's more about sharing and passing on the knowledge and culture of skydiving. In any case, if you want to give the folks at your dropzone a carton of beer, I'm sure there will be plenty of guys and gals there to help you drink it! ;)

btw. Are you not servicing your three-ring assembly every month or so? You do know that you're supposed to pull the cut-away handle and service the three-ring assembly once every month or so. This is to keep the webbing flexible and prevent it taking on a set, which may cause the rings to hesitate when you actually do cut-away in an emergency.

Well, I had my first cutaway at 08:31 this morning, and I offered to pay the beer fine, but no-one took me up on the offer. That might be because there were no skydivers anywhere around.

The event took place on the floor of Girona airport because the drone behind the desk was not allowing my rig as hand luggage. Ryanair allowed it out of the UK as hand luggage with no quibbles, even though it was 11.8KG, but coming back, even though it was down to 11.5KG they would not allow me to carry it as hand luggage. So I chopped the main, put it in my suitcase, moved a bunch of clothes to my rig bag, and carried the rest of the rig hand luggage.

Other than that, Empuriabrava is an awesome place. I passed my FS1 yesterday (which I DID pay the fine for) and had the best time skydiving since Lodi. Highly recommended, just fly BA seeing as they don't have a weight limit on hand luggage, just a size limit.

Just don't forget to take your underwear out before you jump!

I had *exactly* the same thing last time I went Cryin'air to Empuriabrava. Flight out from Stansted, no problem. Girona airport, they weighed my rig and it was 11kg. 11Kg! Nope, no way they said. Luckily, my 'real' luggage was under 10Kg, so we swapped.

But really, 1Kg over! Recently went Squeezyjet to Faro - no weight restrictions on hand luggage! Hurrah!

John

I think from now on I'll just fly BA to Barcelona and drive down... It's only an extra hour or so and BA have no weight restrictions only size restrictions at the moment.

I can't see myself going anywhere in Europe other than Emp for a while unless it's for a special event. I'm in love with the place!

I have had a reserve repack, but I did not practice my EPs then, no... Looking at my MOT form, there is an option about user test pull, but this is marked N/A.

I think that this is because I sent my rig away to be repacked, and didn't get it back directly from the rigger. I guess that this means that he doesn't have the opportunity to put a temporary pin in place and let me pull the reserve handle.

dude - it's not a fine :P

I think in the the US you're only allowed 22.5 (ish) pounds for carry-on. Sometimes you sneak though - sometimes you don't.

22lbs is not to shabby we have a 7kg (15lbs) allowance
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The only downside I found in Seville was the speed between loads during the week.

When I was there, it was summer, so thermal winds grounded us by 2 - 3 each day, and I was the only non-student there. They only had one packer, so time between loads was down to how quickly he could pack all of the rigs from the previous load.

At Empuria, I was getting 5 - 8 loads a day. At Seville, it was 2 - 3.

That might be different in Seville during the rest of the year, but it was just too slow for me in summer.

The other BIG plus at empuria is that the hotel is really a 5 minute walk from the DZ. This meant that my wife could come and go as she pleased, instead of either having to come out to the DZ with me first thing, or spend the day at the hotel by herself.