jnebel

Skydiving artwork

Hey all,
I'm finally starting my own art business full time and thought I'd hit up the forums for some thoughts and feedback. I'll be starting a cafepress.com store soon and might set up a booth at Rantoul this year if all goes well....

Anyway, my idea is to create fine skydiving art...paintings, drawings, etc that I can print on posters, calendars, cards, tshirts, dog tshirts, thongs, whatever... ;)
What I want to know is, what do YOU all want to spend your money on? (other than more jumpsB|) What type of stuff's gonna get your attention?
Some thoughts: realistic paintings of gear, RW and 3D dives, exits, gear, etc....and personalized paintings/drawings too--you bring me a cool photo, I'll turn it into a painting.
Anyway, I'm attaching a low-res sketch I did already but I'm starting to work on more finished stuff too. If I can get some feedback, I'll post some more as I work on it.
My website is out of date at the moment but you can see more at www.jbnart.com--I've been drawing mostly pets lately but am totally itching to get some skydiving art up there too.

Blue skies all and thanks in advance...
Julie

Methinks you're onto something there. Once I get a good photo, I'll send it to you to paint!!

(Of course...it might be freeflying....) What you've got to do is put a dollar amount on your time and let me know what you think it'd be worth to do the painting. That'd probably be the hard part, right? Of course, materials and shipping, etc.

What do you think you'd charge for something like it? Size?

Maybe approach some DZO's and ask if they'd be interested, too??

You could probably make a living out of it better than some of my old friends makin grilled cheeses in concert parking lots!! Good luck! I'll keep my eye out for a pic.

Blue skies...
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

What I want to know is, what do YOU all want to spend your money on? (other than more jumps) What type of stuff's gonna get your attention?

_ Hey Julie,

By the way nice sketch you posted.... well I guess you pose a pretty good question because I am getting tired of the same ole thing, the poster/photo art, t-shirts, etc. are all fun and some of the photography work out there is just incredible. I know from my end I would like to see something different. I know most of my friends don't get some of the "bumper stickers" and the t-shirt that says " There are no perfectly good airplanes" and then I've gotta explain it and on and on.... I'm proud of my skydiving and like to show off the cool stuff to friends and relatives.... with little explanation, something like your sketch seems to be heading in that direction; but more suited for framed artwork....
I know I've been looking for a skydiving related mousepad....perhaps a personalized mousepad with one of your original skydiving sketches or someone could send a photo and you could sketch the photo to mouse pad as you said in your post... anyway just a couple of thougts.....

And by the way went to your web site... cool stuff, but would like to see more skydiving work of course!!!

******Today is one day too late.********

There is a guy at the Skydive Utah dropzone that makes custom mousepads, printed canvasses, etc from photos. he's an amazing photographer with nearly 800 BASE and 4000 skydives, most of them with camera.
Maybe you should touch base w/Matt to find out what he's got.

i would so spend money on hat and hang it up in my living room! You ahve something good and im sure you will get even better. You will have my business if you get off hte ground. I would suggest going the custom painting of actualy photo's....just to make them more personal to the customers you are doing them for. I would buy from you!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Thanks for the tip, maybe Matt can give me some pointers on how to reproduce my stuff...one of my main obstacles so far! I'll check to see if I can get in touch with him on their website....:)I appreciate the positive comments so far! Good ideas all...and yes freeflyers definitely included too! Most of what I've done in the past was personalized from photos so that's definitely something I'd like to keep doing!

Based upon just this one posted pic, you appear clearly, quite talented!

I, for one, would be most happy to shell-out for quality (as it appears you have!) original, "full-size" oils, etc. Such art of the subject matter (skydiving) is truly otherwise hard to find, indeed! There is plenty of "schlotsky" out there for sure, and "gimmick" kinda stuff, but true ART? - Rare indeed.

I would love to see more!
Let me know when you get your "store" set up.
Good luck!

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Kind of a sidebar, but related. Have you ever seen some of the artwork done by Pat Works years ago?

http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~esj/uwf/works.html

If you look at the picture on the far left, the top of the sketch is skydivers that morph into doves, and the other is skydivers diving to a formation which morphs into a flower. I think there is market for skydiving art in multiple venues and appreciate the work you've shared.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Interesting thread guys, and reminded me of a picture I took last year. I was coming out of a meeting at work and for the first time noticed a painting I must have walked past half a dozen times without even looking! I think my mind just dismissed it as random corporate artwork but it's actually a 14 way with smoke! Very impressionistic but I like having a big picture of skydiving at work :)
I'd also be interested in a decent painting of the sport so will keep an eye on the site.

Cheers,

Dave

--------------------------------------------------

'Everybody needs a mate called Dave'