mattk

Bird strike?

Having had a June bug hit a testicle while riding a motorcycle

mmmm

How did you manage to do that?

The bug was flying at the perfect height at right angles to my direction of travel, coming from the left. I was going just slow enough and it was going just fast enough to clear the forks, tank and what have you and be in the way of my crotch.

I saw it coming (BIG bug) in my peripheral vision, and wasn't able to do much about it before it happened.

The pain was exquisite.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Just caught a portion of the Animal Planet and the highest flying bird is the Griffin(sp?) vulture with a documented engine strike on an A/C at 37 thousand feet. The birds use thermals to gain altitude and just keep going and going all while looking for food.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

We have many bald eagles around our dz. We land in Farmer McNasty's field -- and I have seen as many as 12 blad eagles in flight above the fields during my canopy ride. A breeding pair have a nest in one of the big trees beside the landing field, and I have flown over it and seen Mama or Papa eagle in itseveral times. It is VERY cool fly canopy with the eagles in the air nearby.

About this falcon from a balloon thing... I saw the TV report on this stunt, and the voice-over guy really made me laugh when he pointed out that "Lady" the falcon was traveling faster than a cheater on her way down after the Tandem with the lure. I hate to argue with the guy, but I'm sure a cheater thrown out of a balloon at 10,000 AGL would be going just as fast (but maybe not such a pretty landing!)...

I'll be back when I have something useful to contribute...

I flushed a large covey of quail right about flare time. Scared the crap outta me. Didn't help the landing much either.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I read this post a couple of years ago and realised the birds in my area didn't fly so high.

Now I am in east africa, there are many marabou, these things are ugly and huge, they thermal to heights higher than our plane will climb.

What are the chances of a collision? it doesn't stop me from jumping, but they would do some damage. A large male Marabou Stork, standing up to 1.5 m tall and weighing nearly 9 kg, is one of the largest flying birds in the world.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Birds/Facts/FactSheets/fact-maraboustork.cfm

I have flown with them under canopy and i have seen them at well over 5000'agl, they can get much higher than that but generally closer to Mt, Kilimanjaro where that land is also high.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I think the chances are very, very slim (but not zero). I think that in all the world there have been maybe two bird strikes in the history of skydiving. I am not counting the time my teammated got bird-pooped in the air.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Here's one for ya. A few years back I was flying a 182 doing night jumps. Coming down I hit a bird at 5,000 ft....dead on my windscreen which didn't break, but left a blood and guts trail over the top of the plane..:o

so ah, yep they are there and at night......:S

Was leading a tracking dive on my back when I notice something briefly passing my right shoulder and just missing someone chasing on their belly. I figured something came off my gear or someone's gear. Once on the ground no body was missing any items. Frame by frame video showed a blurred image of a small bird I had stuck at approximately 5000ft. No blood or feather to be found on my rig though.