John4455

Javelin RSL Issue

I've actually been meaning to reinstall the thing, but I always forget at each repack. Yesterday I went and found it, I'll bring it in when the DZ reopens.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've actually been meaning to reinstall the thing, but I always forget at each repack. Yesterday I went and found it, I'll bring it in when the DZ reopens.

I got the master rigger at my DZ to sign my rig's log and enter it into his log, so I'm legal, if anyone cares. (I'm off to the SOS record and 200 ways in the next couple of weeks, so I wanted to have all my paperwork in order, just in case).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I got the master rigger at my DZ to sign my rig's log and enter it into his log, so I'm legal, if anyone cares. (I'm off to the SOS record and 200 ways in the next couple of weeks, so I wanted to have all my paperwork in order, just in case).

yup, and my Master Rigger already notified me and will sign off my card as soon as we see each other, I've still moved closer to the RSL-is-good camp than I used to be, and will reinstall it next time, or soon if I can have it done without a repack cost.

have fun at the old and big stuff

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Was it an issue at your dropzone over the weekend? Did it cause you or anybody not to get to jump?

An issue, yes... no... sort of... :S

"No", it didn't cause anybody not to get to jump.

"Yes", the topic came up as in the current "thought" of the riggers in our piece of the verse seems to be its probably "best" to have the RSL on a Jav or Odyssey and over to the individual users to have it hooked up or not under Sunpath's latest writting on the subject... "...if in an emergency situation or to avoid a possible emergency
situation ONLY.
..."

... and I did turn away a re-pack until that person / rig owner gets a master rigger to either re-install the RSL or sign it off on the packing data card for his Odyssey... :(

We had one or two that couldn't jump because of it. Then there was one more who's RSL was disconnected but couldn't be hooked back up because during a recent canopy exchange the risers had switched sides. Kinda hard to run the RSL to the ring WAAAAY on the other riser. :P
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Could a non-US governing body say "This bulletin is a load of shit and does not need to be complied with?" As its just legal mumbo jumbo that doesnt actually affect the functioning of the rig?
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

No. TSO is TSO. The manufacturer has a right to dictate who may do work on their containers and how that work should be carried out.

Having said that, I doubt that 95% of Javelin jumpers in SA are even aware of the issue.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Considering the magnitude of the situation and the amount of javelins that are effected. Is it not sun Paths responsibility to make sure all javelin users know about this?

A post on their own website and a story on DZ.com isn't really adequate. I haven't read any response from the company themselves. but I guess they have a very large headache just now from answering the telephone?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

No. TSO is TSO. The manufacturer has a right to dictate who may do work on their containers and how that work should be carried out.

Having said that, I doubt that 95% of Javelin jumpers in SA are even aware of the issue.

t

Do they need to be aware? TSO is a USA rule and unless other countries have decided to adopt the USA rule it's not a concern until the rig goes to the States.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

>The manufacturer has a right to dictate who may do work on
>their containers and how that work should be carried out.

Right, but you choose whether or not to heed them. I mean, Pro-Tec could start saying that they do not allow skydivers to use their helmets - but does that mean that everyone should immediately abandon their Pro-Tecs?

Ultimately it is the US court system that will enforce the regulations on the TSO. If you are somewhere else that doesn't heed those laws, then they mean very little.

Tonto,

I don't disagree with anything you're saying... in fact, I'm pretty much in agreement... but... dare I say... seeing as how you're in South Africa, you do have the "luxary" of several thousand miles of "insulation" from the problem AND not being under the same aviation administration that has already admonished at least one rigger over this very issue.

To varrying degrees, this topic does have a lot of riggers "scared" that they're going to be hung out to dry over this if they put their name & seal to Jav or Odyssey with or without an RSL, with or without it hooked up by the user when they jump it and something goes wrong that is or isn't related to the RSL. Being in a different country, it should be certainly easy to understand why folks there would be more apt to be "less worried" about this.

Bill,

Its been awhile since I read the WARNING label on a new ProTec, but doesn't the statement boil down to a disclaimer something like "don't expect the use of this helmet to protect the user's head from anything".
:D

Pro-Tec did just that in the late 80, early 90s. They stopped selling to Square One and other skydiving dealers after they were sued by (I think) an injured student. They also put out a statement that their helmets weren't suitable for skydiving. But, we just ignored them and students are still using Pro-Tecs to this day.

So what did riggers do that they now deserve to be, "scared?"

They didn’t do anything. It's Sunpath that should be scared.

Scared that the rigging community will grow a spine and stop servicing their products.

If riggers did so Sunpath would back away from this RSL thing within weeks.

And if the jumping community, as a whole, doesn't take a strong stand, what's next? Do you think other manufacturers aren't watching this very closely. Do you think there aren't manufacturers out there who would love to tell riggers, you can't pack this rig without a Skyhook, or an AAD, or even a very particular make and model reserve?

I can't blame manufacturers for trying to limit their liability in a sue happy world, but what's always stopped them short of complete absurdity is our unwillingness to go along with it . . .

I'd end this with something like, "let's stick it to the man," but Bill Booth would fall off his chair in laughter (and I'd join him) with the thought that he'd become "the man."

NickD :)BASE 194

Nick, wise words... I didn't mean to say "scared" per-say, but rather its got riggers in a "highten state of awarness" that they should decide whether they really want to pack Jav's or Odyssey's in light of this whole topic. This past weekend, I saw a senior rigger (me) not take an Odyssey for a repack because the RSL and the hook side of the Velcro it mates to (on the underside of the reserve riser) had both been removed and a master rigger refuse to sign off on the perm removal of the RSL on that same rig. Is that the start of a spine? ;)