mbondvegas

New ZP Sucks

When my brother got his new Pilot, we set up a ring, had a referee and a squad of cheering section complete with pom-poms.

The chute won - 2 falls out of 3.
:D:D

Yes. I remember you telling me you would never pack my 188 pilot again! :D
Now I just pay the 5 bucks.. ;)
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

A reply to all:

Nice! It sounds like I'm not the only one that has gotten into a knock down drag out with a brand new pilot. The Spectre ZP was really bad when I demo'ed one of those...but this Pilot ZP is extra "crispy" and slick and was a real pain in the neck. I think I will have to pay a packer tomorrow for the repacks...and my conscience just want let me pay them only $5 to pack that beast.:$

Hey Aerodyne...think you could convince Gelvenor to make the old stuff again???:)
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Does it actually fit in the rig you are putting it in? Don't laugh, it is a fair question. As long as the answer is yes, it shouldn't be too awefully bad to bag. I will admit that I have taken more than one try to bag a new canopy on several occasions so my advice would be to keep at it. I still think it is worth it to have a pristine wing. My old 2500+ jump Stiletto would stay in the bag without closing the locking stows. It also gave somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a decent flare. If that was all you needed you are set but it was not too tolerant of mistakes. How do you like the pilot so far?
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

The Pilot is a 210. My Tri is a 220. My rig (and bag) is a J5 Jav made for up to a 230. It's the slipperyness that was getting to me. I'll let you know how it flies after I actually jump it tomorrow.
- - -

Pilot

Is the ZP on Pilots harder to pack than other new canopies??

I test jumped a Pilot about a year ago. Loved flying the Pilot, but couldn't pack it at all. The only person who could easily manage it was the rigger at the DZ. Everyone else (including people with >5000 packjobs) struggled.

In the end didn't buy it mainly because I didn't like the fit of the rig (it was second-hand and a little too small for me), but the thought of having to pack it was undoubtely part of the decision.

Bought a safire II, and have never had a problem bagging it.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Just got home after a few jumps on it.

In the Air: I love it! Awesome and super soft openings despite my sloppish pack jobs, sharp turns, good glide and good surfy flare.

On the Ground: I still hate it!
- - -

Hehe, I'm not sure if this is the same Pilot as we have here in South Africa but I got a new Pilot 188 a year ago and then starting learning how to pack. I promise you I cried every time I packed and I didn't actually get it into the dbag once on my own until I had done almost 100 jumps on it (and tried to pack it about half those times).

That said I have finally learned to pack on my own! lol
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

PS I love my canopy and it opens nicely and the things peple have said here but there is one thing. I get consistently off heading openings - always 180 degrees around. Is this normal?
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

My first ZP was a '96 Triathlon 220 with less than 50 jumps and I thought it was a bitch to pack until I got my brand new 190 Tri :S Holy Crap she's a slippery bitch! B|
I don't mind packing that 220 now. :D

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

haha, I know how you feel I bought my Pilot brand new too. It only has about 50 jumps on it and I am still paying people to pack for me.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

My openings are sometimes offheading, more now then when I first started jumping it.

I think there might be some connection with line trim. My brake lines have shrunk up a fair amount, it wouldn't surprise me if the canopy is starting to get a little out of trim.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

AWESOME. I watched a few videos (precision website) and read a bit about psychopacking and tried it. Wow! what a difference. It went in the bag with ease! I'll have to see how well it opens and if it is equally as good...I'm a psychopacking convert!!!
- - -

I don't know why they call it a psycho pack, have you ever seen someone flat pack?, now that's crazy. Seriously, Psycho packing is easy and they open fine.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Yes, it does, but I beat my new canopy!

Uh...with a new packing method taught to me by our main packer.

It spanked my ass the first time but he showed me and I whipped it's ass the second go-round. Now I just hope it doesn't spank me when it opens.
:|
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I strung mine out on the picnic tables at the DZ. Does rain count as water?

Yeah, it counts!:)
Sorry to ask such a small question but I just don't know why is better to do so.:$
I mean it's ZP, the air wont go inside why should the water go?[:/]
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

AWESOME. I watched a few videos (precision website) and read a bit about psychopacking and tried it. Wow! what a difference. It went in the bag with ease! I'll have to see how well it opens and if it is equally as good...I'm a psychopacking convert!!!

If you keep packing out in that direct Nevada sunlight, Mike, you will a shortlived convert.
The UV there is terrible....dont be shy, bully your way into the shade of the hanger. Some day you will thank me for the advice.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.