WooHoo

Oldest AFF student?

Last year I met a fellow who was doing AFF at the age of 62. I am sure there are older folks who have entered the sport, just wondering who is the oldest you may have heard or known about?

I met him a few months later doing a conopy course.
I did my AFF Level I at the age of 49, at the time in the UK the age limit was 50 - it may have gone up to 55 since I am not sure - at the time, so it was a big deal.

When I went to do the AFF course in Eloy, Their view was is I was keen to learn they were happy to teach me.

So can anyone beat 62?

"The older I get.............the better I was"

It isn't AFF, but when I was still jumping at Kapowsin we had a guy in his late 70's that came out to do the static line course. After he was all geared up he had a long wait for his load. I went over to chat with him to try to put him at ease. I approached him and asked if he was nervous. He said he wasn't, that he had jumped before but it had been a long time ago. I asked about that. His answer was that his last jump had been a combat jump into enemy territory during World War II under heavy enemy fire. We both agreed that the jump he was waiting to do was gonna be a piece of cake compared to that last one!

Jack Gramley
Computer Geek

I took a guy up for a level 1 (cat A) who was 86 or 87, can't remember exactly...

He came out, wanted to jump...we were of course worried about his age. After a lot of talking to figure out if it was possible we put him up in a hanging harness and found he couldn't reach one of his arms up high enough to get the toggle due to a weak shoulder. Told him sorry, it just wouldn't work out.

Three or four weeks later he shows up, wants back in the hanging harness. We put him in it and he can easily reach the toggles, as well as pass anything else we threw at him. So we figured why not, the was a lifelong dream of his, he knew the dangers and he was certainly passionate about doing it, so we trained him and took him up.

In air his body position was pretty bad. Not much of an arch (ok really none), poor leg position, poor arm position. Not crazy unstable though so after we got no response to a few of signals we basically both just hung on and let him enjoy the freefall. At pull time I kind of had to wrap his hand around the handle to get him to pull, and he did. Canopy control was fine and he had a nice landing right in the middle of the landing area.

Hands down the most nervous I've ever been on a jump. Afterward he asked if he could jump again, but we declined him to preserve our own sanity.
Miami