TurboChrist

Skydiving fuel consumption?

It would depend on alot of things. The type, age, modifications, of a plane. The location, and weather of the dz, type of fuel, the load. I think I remember hearing something about 40 gallons for a twin otter on a hot day in the south, but I am most likley wrong. It is amazing what a change in temperature, humidity, and baro pressure will do to a planes motor and how the wing acts.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

ussually around 400 pounds for 6 grand caravan loads, in the summer at MSL (from to top of my head)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

The information from the PAC spreadsheet is spot on for the PAC. About 50gallons an hour.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

insurance
fuckers probably charge 15 bucks per jump

Plus all the other costs like:

• Pilot's wages

• staff wages

• aircraft maintenance

• aircraft ownership costs

• debt servicing

• maintenance of the dropzone and buildings

• tax

• And probably several others that I'm not listing. After all that, they might even be lucky enough to make a little profit so that next season they can build you a better swoop pond or a bunk house or something. ;)

You may also want to keep in mind that the US has some of the lowest jump prices in the world.

See Brettski74's reply above. Aircraft insurance costs about $7-9k per year per plane, maintenance can run $75-$300 per flight hour, depreciation on the aircraft can run over $100k per year, Uncle Sammy can take up to 40% for his share, and on and on.

Besides Spaceland only charges $20.

Blue skies,

Jim

So why is a jump ticket $22?

Are you kidding me?

After paying labor and marketing fees - what's left?

If you're thinking that dropzone staff works for cheap, consider the free jumps that it takes to keep most of them on staff.

You could take $1,000,000 and buy two nice $500,000 rental buildings with 8 units each, rent them out at $800/mo, spend $35k a year for a full time caretaker, spend $15k on misc expenses, and still take home $100,000 - or 10% on your money - all for a lot less work than it takes to keep planes flying.
    Matt Christenson

[email protected]
    http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

So why is a jump ticket $22?

Because the DZO doesn't want to discourage his friends by charging more. :P

Read the link I inserted above, which details most costs of operation of the aircraft. Adjust that upward for present fuel prices. Adjust for financing the aircraft. Add on any hanger/airport space rental, electricity, income for staff/DZO, etc. and you will see that the tandems are paying for the rest of us to jump cheap. Very cheap at my home dz ($15, cheaper in blocks, get about 13.2k altitude on the average).

If jump tickets had gone up as much as starting engineer's pay has, since the time that I was one, the tickets would be about $36.