EricTheRed

Creswell / Eugene skydivers/Wright brothers

Hey just an update for everyone.
Long story short, we've been landing on City property that was being leased from the State. City lost the lease because they wouldn't sign a revised lease re-newal (basically an attempt to get rid of us jumpers). So, land went back to ODOT...ODOT placed no trespassing signs. We then landed elsewhere on the airport.
After a bit and for whatever reason the owner here at Eugene Skydivers did some investigating and found out that in fact where we've been landing IS CITY PROPERTY. So pretty much the City has been paying ODOT to lease their OWN LAND since 1994. :S Urban has copies of the deed from 1987 when ODOT sold it to Creswell. It's for sure. Pretty hard to believe that the City and State were that stupid. But good for us in that the City can't not let us land there unless they want to break Urban's lease...which I'm sure they wouldn't.:D That would be too expen$ive for them.
A story will be on the local news here KEZI at 5pm. ODOT officials and Creswell officials haven't really commented...I'm sure they're pretty :$ embarASSed.
So WE ARE JUMPING! (and never really stopped):P
Glad to see that hard work and efforts by Urban Moore with Eugene Skydivers have finally payed off!

After a bit and for whatever reason the owner here at Eugene Skydivers did some investigating and found out that in fact where we've been landing IS CITY PROPERTY. So pretty much the City has been paying ODOT to lease their OWN LAND since 1994. :S

Congratulations to all of you! Way to stick it to The Man (The Men) that's trying to shut you down. B|

My favorite DZ, Kapowsin, had to move out of Pierce County due to zoning requirements. My 15 minute drive to the DZ now takes an hour or so.[:/] It sucks when your government turns bad on you. I'm really glad you guys have some good ammo to fight with.

>:(
WB and ESD are currently NOT allowed to jump. Urban (DZO-ESD) got a letter last night saying to stop jumping.
It's not really justified by anything except for the bitch ass airport manager saying she hates us...(in a nutshell).
Anyway, Urban contacted the FAA rep that sent the letter and he pretty much knew nothing about the land we're landing on turning out to be city property, he hadn't heard about any of the similar incidents at other DZ's or about Urban's lease allowing him to land on airport.
Urban is headed to talk with the feds tomorrow with also the USPA attorney I believe.
So as of now we're not jumping. Couldn't jump today, not tomorrow and probably not for a bit until this shit gets fixed. Which that's all it is...bullshit!!!>:(

>:( Are they ever gonna leave Urban alone and let him run his buisness. Hopefully with his lease and possibly USPA's help this will get resolved fast..........

------------------------------------------------
Eat, Drink and Jump for tomorrow we die.....
------------------------------------------------

Here is a letter Whit sent to Peter DeFazio:

Representative Peter DeFazio
151 W 7th Ave. #400
Eugene, OR. 97401
fax 541-465-6458

Mr. DeFazio,

We need your immediate assistance in a matter concerning many jobs in Creswell, Or.

Eugene Skydivers is a local business that has been in operation for 14 years at a Federally Funded Airport called Hobby Field. Since 1993 we have flown 30,000 operations and 75,000 skydives were made without any aircraft incursions or accidents involving skydivers or skydiving aircraft. Sinces 1995 Creswell has had 14 reported and 6 unreported aircraft accidents resulting in 3 fatalities, none of the above involving jumpers or jump planes. It is important for you to understand the statistics of our immaculate safety record because our opponents try to throw that out there as a stumbling block even though it is completely unfounded.

18 months ago, Shelley Humble, the airport manager, who has only been in the cities' tenure for one third the time our skydiving operation has been in existence, had a personal falling out with the drop zone owner. Since then she has escalated her personal issues involving the city manager, Mark Shrives. Shrives has been backed into a corner, involving Humble and an investigation of her illegal and unethical actions in her employment and has also chosen to involve himself in her personal dispute. This is the ultimate in small town politicking which has resulted in the closure of two skydiving operations this week.

Shrives has forced the hand of Federal Aviation Administrator, Larry Richards, in Hillsboro, to become involved. Shrives, unable to successfully win his dispute locally has decided to fabricate a violation of FAR 105.23 ( Federeal Aviation Regulation) which states that we must have permission to land on city property. Eugene Skydivers has a longstanding lease with the city, with 20 more years to extend the lease if we choose, for the express purpose of "skydiving instruction and activities". The lease is a legal and binding agreement for skydiving, and has had no modifications, or revocations, since it's conception 14 years ago. Therefore, there is no violation of FAR 105.23 We would be happy to send you a copy of the lease for your review.

Larry Richards, the FAA Mgr. has sent a letter to both businesses halting all operations, claiming "we could possibly be in violation of FAR 105.23 and that there is no set date of review." In other works, this could take years of investigation. This dispute is strictly a local matter and in no way should involve the FAA. Richards has single handedly made a decision that is costing our business $10,000.00 weekly and will have future damages for years to come. Eugene Skydivers has dozens of independent contractors that depend on this business to feed their families. The community is outraged by the ruling. All businesses are well aware of the benefits from the skydiving tourism, which attracts people from essentialy all over. Thrill seekers come from Canada, California, Idaho, Washington, and various foreign countries. It is cheaper for the Japanese to fly here to skydive than to jump in Japan. Many people plan their vacations around this event just like any other outdoor activity. We train military jumpers to aid in the HALO programs and world record holders. We know we have every legal right to use this Federally Funded Airport due to the Grant Assurances which do not discriminate between any aviation activities. We are also certain we will win this legal battle and there are other federal rulings of this exact nature that assure that, but what damages will we all financially suffer if this isn't immediately resolved? We ask for assistance in one mans' decision to revoke so many jobs.

Thank you for aiding us.

Whitney Harder
Professional Skydiver
USPA License D-19269
AFF I-2007
SL I-2007
PRO-115882

Also an email from Whit asking everyone to send a letter to our rep:

Friends and coworkers,

I call upon you to write a letter to our Fed Rep in Congress, Peter DeFazio. Currently there is no one to assist us in forcing Larry Richards to back off of his threat. I've sent you a copy of my letter to DeFazio which will hopefully aid you in what actually is the big picture. The points that we need to make are:

1. We need immediate intervention (assistance, aid)

2. Many jobs are at stake (can't pay our bills, there was no forewarning to this immediate job loss) or if you don't work there, you're family or friends are directly affected and it's of your great concern. Or, you are very worried of the indirect effects on the community (all the money the skydiving tourism brings to the local businesses) especially as this is peak skydiving season. Or you simply have witnessed the railroading (bullying) and are shocked/horrified.

3. Larry Richards, from the FAA in Hillsboro (list address and phone for DeFazio) 3180 NW 229th Ave., Hillsboro, OR. 97124, 800-847-3806 has intervened in a local legal matter that has nothing to do with the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). You might touch on how Shrives and Humble have tried in vain to shut down skydiving even though this is a Federally Funded Airport which cannot discriminate against any aviation users.

The important factors for DeFazio is "job loss" and "local business income loss".

I know this requires alot of energy and time from you. Everyone greatly appreciates your efforts.

Urban is running for city council and we're campaigning for a new Mayor. After that is secured we will have control fromt the inside and won't have to deal with these injustices in the future.

Blue skies, send this to everyone you know. The most effective way if to flood his office with this outrage!

Whitney

Yes if anyone could please come together and find a couple minutes to write a letter or call to help ESD out.
Still not jumping there as of today. >:(
If anything new turns up I'll post it.

I think I may just do that. Im doing an annual trip next week and was intending to hit your dz next weekend. I guess if theres no jumping, than theres no reason for me to bring my vacation dollars to your town:|

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Hey guys this is Justin. Having worked there, on and off for the passed couple of years. I know the political BS that has been going on, and have a lot of friends that are affected by this situation. Therefore I will do my part in sending a letter. You have my word. I hope this works out for you guys, I can't imagine comming home, just to see my home not being there. J

In the paper in Eugene today:

Creswell skydiving to resume
By Karen McCowan
The Register-Guard
Published: Wednesday, August 30, 2006

CRESWELL - A week after a warning from the Federal Aviation Administration iced two Creswell-based skydive operations in the middle of their hottest season, the owner of one company said he will be back in business today after securing a new parachute drop zone off airport property.

"We'll be open and operating on a field that's walking distance from the airport," David Wright, owner of Wright Brothers Skydiving, said Tuesday.

Wright declined to specify where the land is or who owns it. But he said the agreement is temporary, while he seeks to strike a new deal with Creswell Airport or move to another.

"I've been doing this for a long time, and I have a lot of contacts," Wright said. He has operated the business, started by his late father, for 20 years.

"As soon as people found out I was having trouble here, they started contacting me," he said. "I'm looking at Albany, Cottage Grove, Medford, Corvallis and Probst Field," a private airstrip near Albany. "But I want to stay here. My hangar is set up specifically for skydiving."

Wright Brothers and rival Eugene Skydivers have long operated out of side-by-side hangars along the Creswell Airport taxiway, using a portion of the airport's property and an adjoining state-owned field as the spot for skydivers to land their parachutes.

Earlier this year, however, both the city and the state withdrew permission for skydivers to use their land.

The actions came after a yearlong standoff between the city and the skydive companies over a new dropzone user agreement proposed by the city to address safety and liability issues.

Eugene Skydivers also suspended operations last week after receiving the Aug. 11 letter from Larry Richards, manager of the FAA's Flight Standards District Office in Hillsboro.

Neither Eugene Skydivers owner Urban Moore nor his attorney could be reached for comment Tuesday.

But Wright estimated that his company lost $10,000 in revenue because of the lost week and publicity over the drop zone dispute.

Richards warned in his letter that all skydive companies, skydive pilots and parachutists who continue operations "over or on this airport will be investigated for possible violation" of FAA regulations.

He said his office had determined that parachute operations are "currently unsafe" at Creswell Airport, "due to the lack of a signed agreement" between airport management and the two skydive companies.

Wright pointed to the latter line as evidence that "the FAA has no problem with us."

"They say that all we have to do is get a safety plan with the city of Creswell," he said. "That should be easy - we've operated years here with zero problems."

City officials disagree, citing complaints from other pilots and fight instructors about skydivers jumping through clouds, swooping too low over an active runway and even walking across the runway in front of aircraft.

Many complaints also centered on skydive pilots "diving into" the middle of the airport's landing pattern from higher altitudes, cutting in front of other planes that are queued up to land - a practice Moore and Wright have acknowledged but say is safe.

FAA officials disputed that claim, saying all planes are required to enter the flight pattern at the airport's posted landing pattern elevation of 1,400 feet.

And FAA regional spokesman Mike Fergus reiterated Tuesday that the federal agency has safety concerns of its own.

"You've got student pilots in there doing touch-and-go landings, you have a landing pattern that's like a big oval racetrack," he said of the Creswell airport. "The U.S. Parachute Association has reportedly been saying that there could be some kind of mitigating measures passed to address those concerns. But the airport and the users have to come to an agreement that does so."

Creswell City Administrator Mark Shrives said he plans to place the FAA letter on the agenda for the City Council's Sept. 11 meeting.

PMS #394

"We'll be open and operating on a field that's walking distance from the airport," David Wright, owner of Wright Brothers Skydiving, said Tuesday.

Wright declined to specify where the land is or who owns it. But he said the agreement is temporary, while he seeks to strike a new deal with Creswell Airport or move to another.

I don't think that will last long. According to our head pilot...anywhere that's in "walking distance" is still in the airports traffic pattern. We can take off from the airport and be on it...we just can't fly our canopies anywhere above it or near the traffic pattern. >:(

So I hope WB isn't doing more harm by trying to fix the situation. Wouldn't want to see their pilots or jumpers get stabbed with an FAR violation.

I know ESD has also found an alternate landing area that is pretty far from the airport and will be providing a shuddle back and forth.

Weather is shit today anyway and neither have jumped yet.

"They say that all we have to do is get a safety plan with the city of Creswell," he said. "That should be easy - we've operated years here with zero problems."

I'm having trouble with the term "zero problems." The Wrights have crashed two 182s and a Caravan.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

....that and the spell check malfunction on the letter to Defazio, this should be a walk in the park....as long as nobody brings up the runway light target practice and the 182 off airport spot landing contest, no problem.
However, honestly, I really hope this works out for both DZ's but alot has happened between them both that will make this a really tough fight.

Guest 1010
> think they'll continue running as normal with the different landing area until further notice.

hey Kimmee,

do you know if ESD is going to be open after the Ducks game tomorrow???

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.