OSOK

Tracking ...

Well, I know this topic has been talked about many many times, but I'd like some opinions from the hardcore trackers out there. Do you track with both legs kinda of together or separate, more than shoulder-width apart? I'm interested in hearing from people what works for them. Again, I'm talking hardcore tracking... not RW tracking, etc.

Thanks!

So........we are assuming that RW guys don't track 'hardcore' because they're lives don't depend on it? Because hitting another canopy is more forgiving than a cliff?

I'm not a BASE jumper, but I DO consider myself a hardcore tracker. ESPECIALLY when I'm doing RW. Why? Because whether it's a cliff, another canopy while still in freefall, or a soft-fluffy canopy at 80mph, I HATE hitting stuff in freefall!

As for technique. My legs are usually about a shoulders-width apart. I think something that gets forgotten about a lot is what one does with their shoulders and torso. Roll those shoulders forward, bend slightly at the waist. But not to the point that your diving.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

God... you people are sensitive.

I assumed to OP meant rw tracking = tracking jumps, which, isnt full out tracking. I may be proven wrong, but still... :S

I'm not the best tracker out there, but I track with my legs vey close together, but not quite with the toes touching.
Remster

Well, I know this topic has been talked about many many times, but I'd like some opinions from the hardcore trackers out there. Do you track with both legs kinda of together or separate, more than shoulder-width apart? I'm interested in hearing from people what works for them. Again, I'm talking hardcore tracking... not RW tracking, etc.

Thanks!

Getting away from all the chatter up above, I'm no BASE jumper, and I certainly have a ways to go on the experience level...but since I float like a ping-pong ball in the air, I've made more than my share of tracking dives, just to see how far I can get.

If I'm going for distance, I track with my legs at about shoulder-width. Pointed toes.

There are some BASE jumpers out there who swear by shifting your ankles to point your toes OUT, instead of down - I haven't played with that enough to really have a definitive thought on it yet, but the ones who do it swear by it.

I was also just listening to Brian Germain on an old Skydive Radio episode the other day, and he was referring to a friend of his who tracks in full "Jesus-on-the-cross" position - arms out to the side, legs together. He said he hasn't ever seen anyone else do it that way, but hey, it worked for that particular guy. :S

Given that all bodies are different, I think it's probably a good idea to just get out and try some different ways yourself. See if you can find someone who wants to work on their back-tracking, then set a day with them to do a few different jumps, one after the other. Try it once, look at the data from your Pro-Track (and your GPS, if you have it), then change your technique and try it again.

Flying relative to someone will give you a better sense of what's going on, whether you're sinking or floating, shooting past them or lagging...you see my point.

Then wrap up your day with a cross-country dive, and you'll have accomplished (if nothing else) a full day of hitching rides back to the DZ. :P
Signatures are the new black.

The rest of us just track for fun.

Having a collision with a canopy can be softer than hitting a cliff, and the cliff might not try to steer away.

Did you miss the fatality in the incidents forum from a collision on opening?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I was also just listening to Brian Germain on an old Skydive Radio episode the other day, and he was referring to a friend of his who tracks in full "Jesus-on-the-cross" position - arms out to the side, legs together. He said he hasn't ever seen anyone else do it that way, but hey, it worked for that particular guy. :S

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Also known as an "Iron Cross Track."
I tend to Iron Cross Track if a lightweight freefall student has opened the distance between us and I have to close on them (horizontally) while maintaining a slow fall rate.
An Iron Cross Track covers ground slower - than a full-blown track - but has a very slow fall rate.

Also known as an "Iron Cross Track."
I tend to Iron Cross Track if a lightweight freefall student has opened the distance between us and I have to close on them (horizontally) while maintaining a slow fall rate.
An Iron Cross Track covers ground slower - than a full-blown track - but has a very slow fall rate.

Good to know. Thanks!
Signatures are the new black.

There are some BASE jumpers out there who swear by shifting your ankles to point your toes OUT, instead of down - I haven't played with that enough to really have a definitive thought on it yet, but the ones who do it swear by it.

When i made my 1st few jumps on my rw suit with booties i played with this. It was a posative experience. I can imagine that even without them there is a difference.

although my tracking experience is slim. back tracking was a joke.... plenty of room for improvement.:D

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

[replyThere are some BASE jumpers out there who swear by shifting your ankles to point your toes OUT, instead of down -

I have been trying that lately it makes sense to get some more lift out of your booties and seems to help

fwiw I track like hell on every dive it is the 1 thing you can practice every jump no matter what kind of skydive you are doing and when I am on big ways I want to be the farthest mother out there at pull time
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

As other posters have said; you're going to have to see what works best for you.
However one constant I've found is the "rolling the shoulders" as previously mentioned.
The best way I've found it described is if you are laying on the wing of a plane with your head over the front leading edge, you want your upper body/shoulders to follow the shape of the leading edge of that wing.
And yes, every jump I track like my life depends on it!!!! Nothin but hardcore trackin!!!!

i dont have many jumps, but almost half of them are tracking jumps. from solo tracking to 12 ways...
i loooove tracking

one thing ive found is that its easier to roll the shoulders with the palms of the hands facing up, and i can feel the difference in fwd speed.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I think your argument is stupid, but I still think you're right. Not all skydivers track as if their lives truly depend on it. And on an average jump, we can get away with not tracking very well. But there are BASE jumps where the jumper will literally die if he doesn't track flat enough.

There are plenty of skydivers that can't track well. There aren't any BASE jumpers making jumps that REQUIRE good tracking that can't track well... well, some might make one jump like that...

Dave

Feet together or close to it, arms close to the sides and hands pushing slightly forward of your hips. You need those shoulders rolled in, either just do it, or use the palms up method mentioned above. Legs straight, toes pointed. With booties, ease the feet out over the first 1-2 seconds, so you don't start in a steep dive. It takes a while, especially with booties, to get the correct position without going to head down. Once you build up speed, the lift from your upper body (curled shoulders, etc.) will help flatten out the trajectory. Forget that iron cross track -- I can blow by a guy with 11k jumps that tracks that way.

Forget that iron cross track -- I can blow by a guy with 11k jumps that tracks that way.

I think you missed his point:

"An Iron Cross Track covers ground slower - than a full-blown track - but has a very slow fall rate.
"

Which, I suppose, has its place in the jumper's toolkit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think your argument is stupid, but I still think you're right. Not all skydivers track as if their lives truly depend on it. And on an average jump, we can get away with not tracking very well. But there are BASE jumps where the jumper will literally die if he doesn't track flat enough.

I'm happy that at least you got my point.