elmo87

SKYBALL

What about at Cal city? They have a designated drop area, so if it goes in it wont kill anyone except maybe a cactus. I made a bunch of them, but havent made it out there to try them out. My design is simple, I just dont know how heavy i need to make them, or how much drag to add. Any suggestions?

For belly... the whole thing needs to be about 1.2lbs when done... that's Tennis Ball + Shot + Streamer + What ever you use to attach the Streamer. Make the Streamer 10 to 12 inches long. Some will tell you that's too long, screw them, you can always trim it off to make the Space Ball faster.

Yes, you can jump them at Cal City, but YOU MUST tell Manifest and the Pilot (Van) before you get on the plane and if you're new to the place or low time, they're going to have one of the local ol' grey hairs give you some guidance on where to get out (don't be offended)... in days gone past, we've found Space Balls and other "stuff" that went in just yards off of Cal City Blvd, on the Taxi way and just off of Lindberg (the street that runs right past the airport). Last, but not least, depending on what jump run is that load, you may get out first, you may get out last, so you're way out over the desert. Don't expect to get back to the landing area (i.e. don't bitch if you don't)... its the trade off you make for being allowed to jump a Space Ball. A lot of places, they won't even let you on the plane with one. :|

First I was wondering when Cal City would come up in this thread...and then I was wondering how long it'd take before someone was invited to the Peckerhead Meat...

...definitely a good time to get out to Cal City, if you've never been.

Back on topic, yeah, I flew a space ball a few weeks ago, and was surprised that they had us getting out first. It ultimately makes sense - all depends on the jump run direction.

Nonetheless, Sparky's right - it's all about letting people know you're flying it, and getting feedback. There are lots of people who can help you with the weight, and lots of them who know their DZ well enough to tell you where/when to get out.

Nice thing about Cal City is, even if you land out from tracking or flying a space ball, you're probably not going to have too many obstacles to avoid... B|
Signatures are the new black.

Nice thing about Cal City is, even if you land out from tracking or flying a space ball, you're probably not going to have too many obstacles to avoid...

Just watch out for the cactus. I've seen people land in cactus. Its not pretty and usually results in a bottle of Tequlia and needle nosed pliers... :P

:S

Back on topic, yeah, I flew a space ball a few weeks ago, and was surprised that they had us getting out first. It ultimately makes sense - all depends on the jump run direction.

Space ball at 55 jumps...

Now thats pretty damn liberal :D