rehmwa

How to load an Otter

>Stand-up at around 8 or 10K to tighten up your leg straps, chest strap,
>put on your gloves, clean the boogers off of your goggles, straighten your
>hair, etc. because you couldn't be bothered to get on the plane ready to
>skydive.

I do that, mainly because my check at 10k is my last one, so I tighten things, check my flaps and handles etc. Then I sit down again and don't move much until the door opens.

Yeah, like the 35 loads I've seen and been on that were consistently shitty spots. ....and we still couldn't make the airport -- They did.

You should try a little trick the rest of us use, break at 6k and pull at 5 then ride your rear risers all the way back to the DZ where you hopefully have enough altitude to get yourself turned into the wind. I've learned this after numerous (way more than 35) jumps where the first group out refuses to take anything but the BEST spot. NO they aren't checking for traffic! NO they aren't in the wrong state! They are jerkoffs who are screwing the back of the plane out of expensive freefall time so that they don't lose 5 seconds of their freefall time to a slightly early spot. If you are the first group out you need to take an early spot. After checking for traffic and verifying the state of course. Flame away.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Yeah, like the 35 loads I've seen and been on that were consistently shitty spots. I've been there at Z-Hills, Lake Wales, and elsewhere, landed off several loads in a row (along with many others) and been told to fuck off by manifest. Happened at both the aforementioned places in the last 3 years. The first off landing is because I trusted the pilot. Landing off on subsequent loads was a mix of hoping the pilot had his act together and succumbing to the screams of "go, go, go..." from those in the back of the load (I know, my fault, in part). All of these were RW groups exiting first, and certainly not the first, last, or only loads of the day. So don't tell me that the pilot is OK just because he's done it before. The last one, at Z-hills we put up with people screaming at us for 30 seconds before we exited, and we still couldn't make the airport -- They did.

Been there...close to the end in exit order and I'm spotting my(solo) exit. We are already way past jump run and the green light is still on. I've got this British AFF instructor yelling at me to "Go mate, go!!" I said FUCK NO, I didn't pay to track all the way to the DZ(at least on this jump,working on my sit) Then on the turnaround he gives me this bit about how he's been doing this for 25 years. Thats great and all but when I have to look WAAAAAAY left to even see the DZ something ain't right.
Someday Never Comes

> I generally like to trust my eye's ability to gauge location
> 2 miles away over the ability of a super-redundant system
> using atomic clocks for precision.

It's not the GPS that is spotting, it's the pilot.

Skr

I said FUCK NO, I didn't pay to track all the way to the DZ

If you're tracking all the way back along jump run, you've got bigger problems than just landing out.

Well said. Just in case someone reading doesn't understand:

If you track down jump-run, you're tracking towards the group(s) that exited before you. This means that you may open in the same airspace as them. Collisions between jumpers in freefall and jumpers under open canopies rarely have pleasant results.

I'm a Cessna Baby - and jumping turbines is a summer time treat to me and the rest of the state of Kansas or the entire midwest for that matter. I'm no skygod or rocket scientist - but it's always a hoot for me to watch 23 guys who only jump the otter trying to figure out how to load the damn thing.
My rule: Do what Manifest tells me, and follow the guy in front. :P
=========Shaun ==========

At exactly 980 feet, one (must designate beforehand) cranky old lady RW'er must yell to open the door.

And don't forget that it has to be in that bored monotone voice - we've done this before, it should be obvious: "Door."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Thats what's great about GPS. You end up a couple hundred meters away from where you're supposed to be, it may take a while to realize it. You end up in New Mexico when you were expecting San Diego, it only takes a second.

You're quite right. I refuse to get out if I am out by a couple of hundred metres. I'm not sure I could make that up under canopy. :S:P

New Mexico to San Diego on the other hand, you just pull high surely? Now New Mexico to Denver, that would be a challenge. :D

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Hey - we need to make one of these like "How to open the damn door on the Skyvan"

That is simple. You just need your assistant to push always in the opposite direction that you need to push to make the latches work. With a real good assistant helping, you should get the thing open by the red light.

This thread suggests to me that we need similar "How to's" for a variety of topics

1. How to swoop
2. How to pack
3. How to inspect your rig
4. How to treat your rig
5. How to spot
6. How to finance your skydiving habit

Since I am LEAST qualified to swoop, I should start that one

How to Swoop

1. Pull down really hard on either toggle
2. When your vision goes release the toggle
3. Prior to impact pull both toggles down
4. Drag your knees on the ground until you stop
5. For advanced swooping, extra points awarded for multiple front loops after touchdown.
6. Yell at other jumpers who got in your way.
7. Give instructions on swooping to people with 6 jumps.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Hey - we need to make one of these like "How to open the damn door on the Skyvan"

That thing can make me feel like a moron....[:/]

My first nationals was out of a skyvan. Try opening one by yourself with your camera wings on.:S I finally got it figured out by round 2:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

My first nationals was out of a skyvan. Try opening one by yourself with your camera wings on.:S I finally got it figured out by round 2:D

That's quite a set of teammates you have there, Mr. Cameraman. Did you consider cleaning your lens a couple times during the 1st 35 seconds?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In Skysurfing its even harder for the teammate to get to the door to open it. :P

well, that takes the wind right out of my comment now, doesn't it?:P

My other response is, the teammate could suck it up, it's not like he's exiting his board from a C-182

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants