nvknight04

The Sensationalism TV Skydive Gone Wrong

I'm not sure if this forum is the correct place to post this (admin, feel free to bump if it isn't).

I'm wondering what skydivers think about the malfunctions, injuries, etc. shown on television show like Real TV and how it possibly skews public's perception of skydive and BASE.

Granted, there are very real and serious risks involved with this sport and pros & cons should be assessed by the individual to figure if skydive is right for you.

Here's my thing: I think skydive is right for me (and I plan on a tandem this summer, just to make sure) but at the same time the sensationalism on TV kind of puts my stomach in knots.

I'm not asking for reassurance; I think you all agree that I should try to talk myself into skydiving. If it's something I really can't handle, it's best for everyone that I don't. However I want the straight up truth rather than biased reality TV clips to base my decision on.

thx much,
Amber
"Be The Change You Wish To See In The World"
-Mahatma Ghandi

not sure what exactly you are looking for.. encouragement i guess, no one here will give too much of that, it is easier for us to tell you if you want to do it, then do it, if not, then don't.

I will point you in some positive videos, rather than the media files.. go to youtube.com, or myspace.com , type in 'skydiving' in the search and you will be shown lots and lots of tandem skydives gone right, along with other fun skydives gone right.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Will I go to hell if I post the lutz video? :D:D

my opinion, and my opinion alone, I like when i see skydiving on tv, I find it funny how the tv overexaturates everything, makes claims of the person being at 1000 feet, and yet another 30 seconds goes by before they pull ripcord. I find it humorous, but at the same time, watch, and see if i can pull anything usefull out of it. they are malfunctions, something we don't see everyday, and a good way to learn. Just know, that what is seen on tv, and what is said about what is going on, is not always close to accurate. Besides, any media is good media.. right?;)
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Visit a dropzone in person. Talk to people face-to-face, and check out their eyes.

The only way to know for sure if you want to do it is to get yourself close to the real thing.

Believe in yourself, and DO NOT obsess over what can go wrong - you 'll be trained in how to handle that in your first jump course.

Good Fortune and Big Fun,

Gato
T.I.N.S.

I think you all agree that I should try to talk myself into skydiving. If it's something I really can't handle, it's best for everyone that I don't. However I want the straight up truth rather than biased reality TV clips to base my decision on.

I would say go to your local DZ, observe, ask questions, and make your own ascertainment.

All I'm asking is "what is a skydiver's opinion about how skydive is portrayed on TV?"

The media lost its credibility with me a long time ago, so I couldn't care less.

All I'm asking is "what is a skydiver's opinion about how skydive is portrayed on TV?"

-Amber

You're thinking too much. Just go make a jump and enjoy yourself. All the bad press you see on TV has no effect on anything.

Go jump. You'll love it. That's what matters.

-Amber

I've never seen any TV report of a skydive gone wrong that was accurate. Even one where the skydiver involved is interviewed. These things make for better TV if they're just that much more exciting than what really happened.

Go out to a dropzone and get first hand information. :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I'm wondering what skydivers think about the malfunctions, injuries, etc. shown on television show like Real TV and how it possibly skews public's perception of skydive and BASE.

The media always make out that the skydiver's equipment failed, and the skydiver was a helpless passenger throughout the ordeal. This is almost always false.

Equipment is hugely reliable. Don't get me wrong, sometimes gear does fail, but on the whole you as the jumper are far, far more in control of the outcome of your jump than the media make out. If you do get injured the chances are that it will have been your fault, not chance equipment failure.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hey,

You have every right to be concerned, but I think the best advice has already been given...go to a DZ and just hang out. Skydivers love to have spectators and love telling stories about jumping...be prepared to get annoyed with skydivers though...we tend to talk about it a lot.

On another note, I can't remember the last time I was involved in a high speed chase, or a shootout at the local bank branch. But it happens "ALL THE TIME" on TV. TV shows you what you want to see...danger and fear. It's all done for ratings. A skydiving fatality/accident seems to be a big event because it allows everyone who doesn't have a clue about it to say "See, i told you it was dangerous....look how dangerous it is".

Make your own choice, start by going to the DZ, see how may people get hurt or die on a particular day and happy to say that I'm sure you'll be disappointed. Accidents do happen, but they also happen while you're driving, walking, running, biking, hang gliding, sailing, {Insert additional verb here}, {and here}, {and here}....see where this is going?

Have fun on your jump (I know you will)

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Are you a Duck or a Beaver? If you are a Beaver there may be no help for you!!! just kidding;)

The Ducks have a skydiving club though. One of there members posts on here some......FallingDuck or something like that. You should go hang out at the dropzone if you want to learn about skydiving. You dont learn about skydiving form the couch.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

True, nothing ventured nothing gained. Hey now, even Beavers can fly if they really want try!

But as far as I know OSU has no skydiving club. I have seen posts from FallingDuck though, so maybe I'll get in touch w/ UO skydiving club. Maybe I could be an honorary member :P

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Hanging out at the DZ does sound like a good idea before my tandem.

-Amber
-Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Hanging out at the DZ does sound like a good idea before my tandem.

-Amber

Yes and lets not forget that skydivers are the coolest people in the world. So even if you hang out at the DZ and dont make a jump, you will know some cool peopleB|
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

I'm all for it. The more horrible outcomes that people see on TV, the more likely they are to understand that skydiving is not a safe activity should they decide they want to try it.

I can't comment on the BASE angle because I'm too chicken to be a BASE jumper.

Plus the more I read & research through DZ.com, the more I realize how much planning and preparation there is with this sport.

Not that I thought people go jumping out of planes willy nilly, but I never realized how incredibly thorough training, scouting, de-brief, etc. There really is a pro-active mentality before you ever step on the plane.

Let me just say I am really, truly impressed by this sport.

-Amber
-Mahatma Ghandi

That's great that you're impressed. Wait until how you feel after that first jump. Man, that's a feeling that you will never forget.

You will have a blast. Just remember to breathe! That's a common thing that some tandem passengers tend to forget ;)

As TWardo said not such thing as bad publicity. Besides if it was "safe" then everyone would be doing it and it would be nearly impossible to get more then 1 Jump a weekend and THAT would be a BAD thing. SO if you gots Video and the Media wants to buy it, then i say got for it just don't forget to fill the fridge at the DZ..

And for those that think it is a bad thing don't watch:)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

It’s always “the parachute didn’t open” rather than “the jumper failed to initiate emergency procedures” – seems like they always blame the gear rather than the jumper.

I have yet to see a single report of a skydive gone wrong in the media accurately portrayed.

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I'm from Roseburg and have jumped in Creswell at both Eugene Skydivers and Wright Bros Skydiving. I think that both facilities are closed for now, at least temporarily (I hope) due to problems with the airport. My suggestion is to go to Skydive Oregon in Molalla and take the first jump AFF course if you are serious about skydiving. They do the first jump course as well or better than any other training center.
Sky58dive

Skydiving is one of the things that only gets press if there is an accident. This is something that all skydivers must accept. The news isn't going to bother saying that there were sixty safe and successfull jumps at the dz today. Whenever you see one of those on the news just think about how most are several years old, and they just keep showing the same ones over and over. Good luck on te tandem.