ludikris

Friend needs advice on first first rig

Pobrause

Why would you start with a 190? At our school she'd start with a 230 and work her way down from there. But that might be us, we've just seen too many ugly student landings. But NEVER have I had the thought before 'I wish this student would be under a smaller parachute'

Then you haven't seen a 45 kg girl trying to steer and land a Navigator 260 :) There absolutely is such a thing as canopy that's too big, especially if there's any wind.

Which of course in no way excuses randos trying to pass on internet advice to a friend rather than having her rely on qualified instructors.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mathrick

***Why would you start with a 190? At our school she'd start with a 230 and work her way down from there. But that might be us, we've just seen too many ugly student landings. But NEVER have I had the thought before 'I wish this student would be under a smaller parachute'

Then you haven't seen a 45 kg girl trying to steer and land a Navigator 260 :) There absolutely is such a thing as canopy that's too big, especially if there's any wind.

You've invalidated your own argument, did you notice? And I have to agree with you on that. Yes, there are canopy/WL combinations, that aren't suitable for certain wind conditions. So don't jump in that kind of wind.
On the other hand did I never say to hang a 120lbs exit weight (male/female doesn't matter) under a 260.
What I did say was, that at my school a 160lbs girl/boy in moderate shape would start her AFF on a 230 and that we, as a general rule always use canopies on the bigger side, if in doubt.

Btw, we did in fact hang a 45kg girl (sportjumper) under a 260 during a course and beside taking a bit longer for everything she felt comfortable.
As a jumper, that regularly lands on her butt it also was a pleasent experience for her that she barely had to flare to get a soft tiptoe landing :P
Solo jumping a tandem rig falls into the same categorie. Absolutely fine in low/no wind conditions.

What is your experience regarding the 45kg under a 260? When did you try it out at your place, what were the conditions and the outcome?
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8INJxZEo4Ww

On this general subject - The above video is a great watch -

"Girls can't Fly Parachutes" By PD- This seminar discusses the causes that lead to false ideas like this and what can be done to prevent them. Held by Laura Golly and Allison Reay at the 2017 PIA Symposium in Chattanooga, TN.

The answer I was given was ... "based on her weight etc.. a student can transition to a 170 from a 190 unless she exhibits poor canopy control.."

I've never heard any professional say that. I have heard "they can transition to a smaller canopy once they have mastered the larger canopy" which isn't a bad rule of thumb.

I guess realistically, this is too difficult a question to answer as it all depends on how well they do in the air and that is it... I just thought I may get some answers to the effect of .. 'took me X amount of jumps to downsize from 190 - 170... "

I made a few hundred jumps on a 190 before I went down to a 150 - but my loading will be much higher, and the canopies I was transitioning between are probably completely different than your case.

Im hoping for a response from someone who makes these decisions on the regular... what traits do you look out for to make the decision of a student moving down one wing size?

That's an easy answer - when their instructor thinks they are ready.

But it sounds like you may be asking "when can a skydiver, in general, move down in size?" In that case it's a longer answer. Can they:

-flat turn 90 degrees at 50 feet?
-flare turn at least 45 degrees?
-land crosswind and in no wind?
-land reliably within a 10 meter circle?
-initiate a high performance landing with double front risers and front riser turn to landing?
-land on slight uphills and downhills?
-land with rear risers?

If they can do all those things on their current canopy, then they are probably ready to start practicing them on a smaller canopy.