yardhippie

Definition of a swooper

I've seen, heard, and read so many references to the term "swooper".
Yet it seems to me that there are varying opinions on what that means.

Please do not contiune the debates that are raging in the other threads.
I'd like to find out what everyone thinks the term "swooper" means.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Any one who lands using a technique that reaches a higher landing speed then they would normally reach under their canopy during a normal box landing pattern with conservative 90 degree toggle turn on to final?

But that can't be right, that means I am a swooper when I sometimes use double fronts after my turn to final. :|
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Swooping, an extremely exciting, but dangerous skill which entails a radical turn close to the ground under a High Performance canopy to induce a fast speed approach and then leveling off a couple of feet above the ground to cover as much distance as possible (as much as 650 feet), in a fast horizontal swoop.
Keep going faster until the joy of speed overcomes the fear of death.

was'nt the term 'swoop' first coined as how a person entered a formation.

Yes, but I think even Pat Works would agree that the definition has evolved a second definition as it pertains to landings.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Swooping, an extremely exciting, but dangerous skill which entails a radical turn close to the ground under a High Performance canopy to induce a fast speed approach and then leveling off a couple of feet above the ground to cover as much distance as possible (as much as 650 feet), in a fast horizontal swoop.

If you actually watch a good HP landing you will see nothing radical close to the ground.
270 turns are initiated at 500 feet and above some 360 aproaches are started at about 1000'
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If you actually watch a good HP landing you will see nothing radical close to the ground.
270 turns are initiated at 500 feet and above some 360 aproaches are started at about 1000'

And some 450's are at 1200-1500 ft. I have seen many professional HP landings, they are very smooth. I never said that they weren't. I guess where we differ is our definition of close to the ground. However even by your statment, a 270* turn at 500 ft, I feel justifies a Radical Turn close to the ground. Any turn unless a braked, flat or negative turn no more than 90* below 500ft I would consider a HP turn.

I hope that helps.
Keep going faster until the joy of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Definition of a swooper?

Nobody really cares. It's a distraction from the actual issue.

Funny, I asked not to include the discussions from other threads.

I was curious.

thank you for your valuable contribution.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

"an adrenaline enthusiast, who is unsatiated by the normal amount of "juice " to be found in a
"regular" skydive, and enjoys, "drinking of the fountain" which is located , at 2 feet AGL"
hahahahaha..

We started out doing person to person RW, with a favorable cushion of altitude.

Then came canopy to canopy RW, again ( if the participants are altitude conscious) with some degree of alt. cushion.

Then some mechanics and thinkers among us accomplished, person to AIRPlane RW... bravo

then came Person To Ground !!!:oB| RW.....with very LITTLE altitude cushion.....

swoop if you Like...... i always enjoy seeing capable talent being demonstrated.....
it's just that I also cringe,,,, when a riser is held toooo long,,, or a toggle is dropped, or the complex depth perception needed,,,, is inaccurate...

swoop if you must, but only when clear of ALL traffic and with the understanding that YOU control your destiny...sometimes in the face of unexpected turbulence, wind eddies, obstacles and fellow jumpers....

swooping only works if you can limit and in fact eliminate all of the "oops"..[:/]
..maybe we should call it sw--- ing.....;)
jmy

Funny, I asked not to include the discussions from other threads.

I'm sure that in time you'll learn to live with the disappointment.

Paul---1

Yardhippie---0

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

No, no, no,

Nothing good comes from being a bigger nkuckelhead than the other guy. My appologies. Lets get on a positive note. What will I do today and what will you do today.
I vote for I cover my ass first, and I will watch out for you to the best of my ability.

Mark