long6oarder

What's in a skydiver's future?

Hello All,
I just completed my second tandem jump recently.
I must say I want to get into the sport, but first I want to know what that will mean for my future.
My biggest questions are:
How does it effect your family life?
How does it effect relationships?
How does it effect your career?
When do you/can you stop?

I would like to hear many perspectives, so tell me what you think!
Thanks

Depends on you and money.

Seriously, it can be construed that simply. If you're married, and not financially stable, then your spouse isn't going to be too keen on you racking up debt to jump. If you're not married, then it's a matter of how much the growing (or receding) relationship means to you.

There's a saying in the community: AIDS--Altitude Induced Divorce Syndrome...of course, this humor draws on reality in some cases.

Personally, when I would go back to work on Mondays, after a weekend of jumping, I was less and less motivated to get anything done. Work simply didn't draw me the way it used to (it was a good job too).

Now, I'm one of the fortunate few that gets paid to jump.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hello All,
I must say I want to get into the sport, but first I want to know what that will mean for my future.

Thanks

These questions have been addressed many times and the consensus is:

How does it effect your family life? Don't worry about something you soon will no longer have.

How does it effect relationships? See above.

How does it effect your career? Doesn't have to as long as your career allows lots of time for skydiving.

When do you/can you stop? It just like smoking or drinking - you can always stop.

:P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

My dad got mad at me as soon as he knew I had got my license. He hated that. My kids are proud and like to tell their friends and teachers I skydive.

My ex(1) recently came with me to the DZ, liked a lot and now she wants to do a TM jump. My ex(2) says I am a suicide and that I should better save that money. My whuffo friends understand it and like to talk about it but do not want to jump. I lost a girlfriend because she did not want me to jump anymore and I kept jumping. I have met a lot of nice people, have many more friends now (two orthopedists - coincidence?). . .and a few more "enemies" (all skydivers ;) but nothing some :D:D :D :D after jumping cannot solve :)

I am lot happier working now, work more, am more creative, have more patients. etc. It has been excellent for my career.

I do not know ... I hope it does not depend on my AAD ;)

Briefly: A very positive experience! :)
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

The anwers to those all vary with:
marital status
existence/age of kids
type/stage of career
financial responsibilities.

So many variables. So, until you post the answers to each of those blanks for yourself, we don't have enough data to be your Dear Abby. Give us your particulars.

I believe you are merely fishing for personal experiences and actual individual examples, since we are all aware that there is no clear cut universal answer to any of these questions.

So . . . personally . . .

- my family thinks its "interesting" but would prefer that I found a less dangerous hobby.

- for the longest time I would have told you that skydiving is a relationship-killer, but recently things have changed for the better for me so the jury is still out on this one. Ask me again when my girlfriend has endured a whole summer where I spend every weekend at the dz. (they usually don't last that long)

- at first, I got very distracted from my career and I found myself daydreaming a lot at work. But eventually, you settle down a bit and start focusing on the mundane again. (if your job survives that long)

- there have been multiple threads on dz.com regarding skydiver longevity in the sport. I agree that there are certain points where we lose jumpers, and I believe I am coming up to one of those soon (approx. 200 jumps) There will be times in your skydiving career that you feel like quitting for various personal reasons or external pressures. It will be up to you to LEAVE or TAKE A BREAK, or just ENDURE.

Overall, family, friends and coworkers are all pretty amazed at first and fake interest in your Monday morning story sessions in the beginning. But, eventually, they all start "avoiding" you on those days when you have that look in your eye like you want to talk about your last jump, or show a pic/vid of the weekend. They just don't understand. They never will. Don't kid yourself. Jumpers and non-jumpers are very different beasts. You develop a DR. JUMPER and Mr.Hyde lifestyle. When you are around jumpers, you are one way, then around whuffo's you wear a different mask . . . or something like that . . .

Hope my personal experience helped . . . I haven't posted in a while, I was going through DZ.com withdrawal . . .
:DB|

EDITED TO ADD :
you will become an amateur meteorologist and that annoys the hell out of the whuffo's . . . :P:P
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Seriously, it can be construed that simply. If you're married, and not financially stable, then your spouse isn't going to be too keen on you racking up debt to jump. If you're not married, then it's a matter of how much the growing (or receding) relationship means to you.

There's a saying in the community: AIDS--Altitude Induced Divorce Syndrome...of course, this humor draws on reality in some cases.

Personally, when I would go back to work on Mondays, after a weekend of jumping, I was less and less motivated to get anything done. Work simply didn't draw me the way it used to (it was a good job too).

LMFAO how true!!!

Hello All,

Thanks

You'll spend more money and time on skydiving and less on other things. Depending on your resources and other commitments this may or may not be a problem.

You'll want to live some place with a consistently high cloud ceiling, sufficiently temperate climate, and reasonable proximity to a turbine drop zone. Depending on what sort of work you do and the limitations you can accept this may or may not be a problem.

Being a somewhat active skydiver (150-200 skydives a year) with a few other interests (say flying 2 hours a week) is not incompatable with 80 hour work weeks or being married and is a lot less expensive than driving newish cars.

You stop when you decide you don't like the politics, other things are a higher priority in your life, etc.

What's in a skydiver's future?

The best fucking times a human being could possibly experience that is worth every sacrifice necessary to get as much as possible and it just gets better and better till it's over...

And ramen noodles...

At least that has been my experience.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

For the guy who asked me to be more specific...
Third year in college
No kids
Pays rent, school, and other living expenses, but not much else.
Obviously not married.

For matthias: Nice pull from Terminator 2.

Thanks for you responses! It sounds like a lot of people lost relationships over this, though. That's kind of depressing. How does that happen, or maybe you don't want to say?

It sounds like a lot of people lost relationships over this, though. That's kind of depressing. How does that happen, or maybe you don't want to say?

I've actually had several girls hit on me recently, at least in part, because they thought the fact that I skydive and rock climb is hot... So it might just depend on who you're dating... I doubt most of the young Cal Poly girls will complain... But who knows, there's so many variables. I have a feeling it would be more of a problem if you were in your late twenties to early thirties, when you'd be in relationships with women who could potentially want to pop out babies... Probably wouldn't present a strong feeling of security for them if they didn't understand how relatively safe skydiving can be.

However, from what I hear, many skydivers don't stay for 10 years anyway, so you might be best to enjoy your freedom while you still have it... It would be a shame to let opportunities like skydiving pass you by and then want to do them when you can't easily afford to do so later in life.

Carpe Diem!

Hope I see ya at the DZ soon. If you start AFF this week I can come with ya just about any day/time you'd like.
Gravity Waits for No One.

It sounds like a lot of people lost relationships over this, though. ... How does that happen...?

When you're a new skydiver you spend all your time & money at the dropzone, the only thing you can talk about is skydiving, and you're wondering why non-jumping partners don't always swoon at the thought?

I've actually had several girls hit on me recently, at least in part, because they thought the fact that I skydive and rock climb is hot... So it might just depend on who you're dating...

Ah, those young ones probably haven't dated a serious skydiver yet. It's pretty much a fantasy world thinking that skydiving will get you chicks. You're much better off at a local bar and using the cash to buy bling and other dumb shit.

If you want to get good, this sport will put a serious dent in your finances. It'll also grab a significant part of your time. Worse yet, the whuffo girlfriend/boyfriend will feel some kind of exclusion from not being able to relate to the DZ experience. there'll be some jealosy towards the people you spend Bonfire beer time with.

And on and on. Any whuffo woman or man who's dated an active skydiver for more than just a few months in the off season will know it's more of a challenge than a benefit.

At 50-100 jumps a year it's not too expensive or time consuming. At 400+ it begins to take a toll.

That's my experience anyway.

--
PeterB

It's pretty much a fantasy world thinking that skydiving will get you chicks.

I'm not saying that skydiving alone will get you chicks... But from what I've found so far, it doesn't seem to hurt by any means... Well, now that I've figured out that I need to keep my mouth shut about how fucking unbelievably awesome it is. I've definitely heard, "WOW, it sounds like you REALLY like skydiving." from more than a few people... And they weren't saying it as a compliment... They were saying it because they were concerned that they were going to start bleeding from their ears if I didn't shut the fuck up.

In the long term, there's NO way that I'd EVER want to be with someone who wouldn't support the things I do that make me feel alive and fulfilled... Unless I became a heroin addict, which in that case I probably wouldn't give a shit either, lol.

I have a feeling it would be more of a problem if you were in your late twenties to early thirties, when you'd be in relationships with women who could potentially want to pop out babies...

*ding*

It's not so much the you-might-die thing though, as the time-and-money thing (again, always). I just regard it as truth in advertising... they see it as evidence that I'm not really mature enough to be husband material, and they're right :)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I'm not saying that skydiving alone will get you chicks... But from what I've found so far, it doesn't seem to hurt by any means... Well, now that I've figured out that I need to keep my mouth shut about how fucking unbelievably awesome it is. I've definitely heard, "WOW, it sounds like you REALLY like skydiving." from more than a few people... And they weren't saying it as a compliment... They were saying it because they were concerned that they were going to start bleeding from their ears if I didn't shut the fuck up.

In the long term, there's NO way that I'd EVER want to be with someone who wouldn't support the things I do that make me feel alive and fulfilled... Unless I became a heroin addict, which in that case I probably wouldn't give a shit either, lol.

Don't really talk about it, be humble but let them know you are a skydiver. Then listen to them talk. Act like it (skydiving) is no big deal, cuz really, it aint...

Chicks DIG skydivers, especially the humble ones!

I honesly get fucking tired of listening to skydivers talk about skydiving - I mean give it a rest people! (Like I need to take my own advice!)

Don't really talk about it, be humble but let them know you are a skydiver. Then listen to them talk. Act like it (skydiving) is no big deal, cuz really, it aint...

Chicks DIG skydivers, especially the humble ones!

I honesly get fucking tired of listening to skydivers talk about skydiving - I mean give it a rest people! (Like I need to take my own advice!)

Lol... My point was NOT that I talk to girls in particular about skydiving till they bleed from the ears... It's just about everyone who I might encounter after a day at the DZ. I swear, my roommates run the other way when I get back from the DZ.:$ lol. My point was, that I've had to make it a point NOT to talk about it on dates, because I'll end up pretty much dominating the conversation with the topic. It's better if I just say pretty much nothing, even if they ask about it I'm "relatively" quiet about it, because when I get on a roll... Oh man, get away from me, lol. So, although my tactic is not necessarily to be "humble", it probably comes off that way somewhat, because if I didn't she'd probably think I was on drugs or something.:S

Skydiving is "No big deal"? Ummm, OK.:D:| Then why do you spend as much on it as you might if you were addicted to crack? I'm sure it's because it's "No big deal"...:S:D

Oh, and you might want to check how much YOU converse about skydiving, MR. 1300+ posts... HI Pot! I'm Kettle! :D :D

What's in a skydivers future? Absolute highs and great times, but also some real lows too....:(

On a more cheerful note, gotta agree with the whole 'being modest/not mentioning it' thing. It does totally tip and conversation - and i hate that! I've taken to making up hobbies and weekend activities in some situations!

It's easy to forget how quickly non jumpers tire of skydiving babble. Only noticed that when a couple of us got into an animated conversation on base and noticed all the skydivers had zoned out! Hehe :P

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

You stop when you decide you don't like the politics, other things are a higher priority in your life, etc.

I hear this a lot - people stop because of the politics... But I've never heard this explained. What politics are we talking about here?

I know that some dropzones can have very solid established cliques, but I'm not sure I see this as politics.

Does anyone want to expand on this ?

Thanks for you responses! It sounds like a lot of people lost relationships over this, though. That's kind of depressing. How does that happen, or maybe you don't want to say?

Another question to which there is no one answer to. A lot of these guys are right . . . it is "relatively" easy to get women interested in you because you are a skydiver. As a first impression, there are hardly any other hobbies/professions that can compare in attractiveness. BUT . . . if you are after a more long-term meaningful relationship (yes I said it), then that is where you may run into some problems. As time goes by, you're stories are not so exciting, her friends are not as impressed as they first were that her "boyfriend is a skydiver". and she is not as patient as she used to be for sitting around the dz all day (if you work there). To reference Terminator again, Judgement Day cometh when the girlfriend comes to the realization that it actually takes time and effort to be a skydiver, and that time and effort is taken from them. Then, 90% of the time . . . they ditch you.

Cheer up . . . skydivers are like a giant support group. We have nightly meetings at the bonfire over a case of beer.

"Hello, my name is Goose, and I am a skydiver . . . it has been 3 weeks since my girl left me . . . please help . . ."

"Don't worry Goose, you are not alone. We are all in this together . . . group hug and chug :D:D:P:P:P
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

[
It's not so much the you-might-die thing though, as the time-and-money thing (again, always). I just regard it as truth in advertising... they see it as evidence that I'm not really mature enough to be husband material, and they're right :)

Yeah, but they'll still spend the night.;)

I started jumping as a teenager, married another jumper when I was in my mid-twenties. Now, 23 years and 4 kids later, we're still making 100-200 jumps a year with some of the greatest friends you could ever have in this world. We also find time for normal stuff and jobs, too. Skydiving doesn't exclude a normal life or relationships. In fact, I find it can enhance the hell out of your life. B|