robertmicp

Hop and Pops

What is interesting is I came from very large turbine DZ's in both FL and then chicago. to go to archway and make a jump out of the C182 at 3500 was nuts....NOW I LOVE IT...half my jumps are hop n pops. love to work on my canopy skills and just like the little bird. good fun for sure.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Why would you have to "hop-n-pop" at 3,500?
At 3,500 you've still got plenty o' time for at least a couple of points! :)

USPA A lic requirement. Hop-n-pop at 5500 and 3500.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

USPA A lic requirement. Hop-n-pop at 5500 and 3500.

Doesn't it depend on which A card you use

the ISP progression (which I think is newer...) requires a 5500ft and 3500ft Clear & Pull but

ISP A Card

But I have an A card that only requires a 3500ft Clear & Pull (deploy stable w/in 5 seconds of leaving A/C.

Alternate A Prof Card

I think the key is clear and pull @ 3500ft deploy stable w/in 5 seconds... I assume the 5500 to 3500 step down is to a comfort level issue for all the AFF babies that think anything below 13k ft is just way too close to the ground.

Scott

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Why would you have to "hop-n-pop" at 3,500?
At 3,500 you've still got plenty o' time for at least a couple of points!

oh yeah....tons of time for a couple of points....although I'm a freeflyer. I do tend the exit HD off the step of the 182 then track off.
it is all good fun;);););)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Talk to your instructors about changing your hard deck for your 3,500 hop n pop. Have a plan and follow it....

3000 is the hard deck by USPA. Instructors may give a safety margin to the student and may raise, but not lower the hard deck. There was a push to get the student minimum opening changed to 3k. we use 3.5 as the student hard deck.

ON the 5.5 it is for practicing the 3.5. We want to see a stable deployment withing 5 seconds on the 5.5 prior to doing the 3.5

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

Open sub-terminal.... That's half the fun and experience.... Jump presenting yourself to the prop, Arch, and pull... Enjoy the slow opening....

I have hundreds of clear and pulls from altitude... One thing I enjoy most is the openings are always slow and soft...

Rhino

ON the 5.5 it is for practicing the 3.5. We want to see a stable deployment withing 5 seconds on the 5.5 prior to doing the 3.5

understood... glad you could clarify... that's kind of what I figured.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I can remebr this one. I was asking questions too. The main thing that helped me was the knowledge that I would most likely be openning before terminal, so there is plenty of time.

They wouldnt let you do it unless you could exit stable, so you just should concentrate on that and you will be pulling within 5 seconds.

I usually do a solo before any RW because I like to get my mind in the right space before complicating things. If you are like me then you could do a solo from 12,000. Then do the HopNPop and you'll me more confident with it. You wont need to do this, its just one thing you could do.

I find this discussion interesting, because as someone going through a static line progression, my first non-static jump is a 3500' hop and pop, I believe. My two practice rip cord pulls so far have both been at 3500', and my third will be as well. I can't picture them making much of a change, since it's supposed to be a clear and pull.

Let Go.
Arch-thousand
Look-thousand
Reach-thousand
Pull-thousand
Arch-thousand.

la dee dah

OMGHI2CANOPY!
cavete terrae.

I find this discussion interesting, because as someone going through a static line progression, my first non-static jump is a 3500' hop and pop, I believe. My two practice rip cord pulls so far have both been at 3500', and my third will be as well. I can't picture them making much of a change, since it's supposed to be a clear and pull.

Aye - you meet this requirement before you even do freefall, right!? The AFF program focuses on freefall manuevers. While the exits are discussed, you don't fail a level for an unstable exit. You also had the umbilical cord of the AFF-I attached for 4-5 levels. Mine weren't very good until near the time I finished the A, so the hop n pops were the last checkoffs.

All I have left for my A lic is the two hop and pops (3500 & 5500). Any tips on the best exit? Im stable very quick once out the door. I guess my big issue is my hard deck is 3500 and doing that pop at 3500 kinda freaks me out. I dont know if its a so much lower or ground rush thing. Any tips would be great.

I just FINALLY did my first Hop and pop today B| It was my 30th jump, a 3500 ft exit, and IT WAS AWSOME.. I was kinda scared to do it (although today I didnt really feel scared at all), but now I think I'll be doing more of them. The exit I used (in an Otter) was facing the prop, hands out to the side (little low, closer to my waist than head) and legs fully extended, look up, arch... 1,2,3 PULL.. We exited at about exactly 3,500 ft, and my audible alert for 3,000 feet went off after what seemed like a long time under canopy (15 sec?) ... It's alot of fun, enjoy it.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.