gravitywhore

do you flat pack or pro pack and why ??

If you flat pack you are laying it on its side nose right or nose left then stacking it. Your rig is set as though you are lying on your stomach. how can it not turn on opening to be relative to you .

I do a flat/stack pack with the nose rolled to the center on each side, and with the nose pointed 'down/into the ground' just like a pro pack does. There is nothing about a flat pack that prevents you from doing that with the nose. Some will do a flat pack even faster than a pro pack.

The stack pack used to be called 'factory pack'.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I either pshyco pack or flat pack mains depending on their size. If it is bigger than a 150 I will flat pack it. On a large student canopy like a manta it is just easier to flat pack it and I can do it faster and make it look better.

Reserves I usually pro-pack depending on the rig.

I think flat packing does help students learn the canopy and how it all comes together, but after learning that and doing some of that type they need to move on. Pro is safe, functional, reliable. Flat packing for up jumpers is old school, and 99% of the time it is not needed.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I think flat packing does help students learn the canopy and how it all comes together, but after learning that and doing some of that type they need to move on can learn other packing methods and decide for themselves which method to use. Pro is safe, functional, and reliable, but than again, so is flat packing. Flat packing for up jumpers is considered by many (especially the "ultra-cool" FS yuppies) to be old school, and 99% of the time it one particular type of pack job is not needed.

There...fixed it for ya! :)
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Psycho pack, I have trouble getting a Pro pack in the bag.

I psycho pack for the same reason. Works for me! But until I had my first elliptical canopy, I always flat packed because it was so easy.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I do all 3...Although there are different ways to "flat pack" One method is called a "Roll Pack" and the other is a "Stack Pack" The Stack pack is basically a pro pack but standing up. The roll pack is a little harder to explain but I am willing to show anyone who wants to visit my DZ. :P I psycho pack everything else since it works well with new or large pack volume canopies. I pro-pack my X-fire's B/C Icarus say's to pro pack. I don't mind though since I have awesome openings with it...most of the time ;) Cheers!
Keep going faster until the joy of speed overcomes the fear of death.

A "roll" pack on the other hand, needs to do a number of turns while unfolding to be on heading.
!

Guess I could of read the whole thread before I posted, but yes a "roll pack" will give you at the least a 90* off heading opening and the possibility of line burn to you stabilizers and other parts of the canopy.

... [A] "roll pack" will give you at the least a 90* off heading opening and the possibility of line burn to your stabilizers and other parts of the canopy.

Could you explain a little more, please? Why should the heading necessarily be at least 90 degrees off, and why would the possibility of line burns increase?

Thanks,
Mark

I flat pack, basically two flops to the center on each side. I use paid, pro-packing packers from time to time and there is no difference in the openings.
I tried pro packing for awhile when the new fangled, slippery zero p came out and didn't care for it.
I've made 3,000 + jumps since I've had a malfunction and in fact have never had a malfunction on modern gear, my three were all straps and ropes and rings.

Yiha!,

Why I still flat-pack (and yes, I've tried pro-packing).

1. It allows me (almost forces you) to check the entire top skin and the full length of all the top seams of my canopy.

2. Less prone to line overs. IMHO

3. Allows me to stop and chat, look at women, have a soda, take a break, anywhere during the process.

4. My rule of thumb is, if it's too windy to flat pack, it's too windy for me to jump. :)
5. My last canopy lasted 16 years with over three thousands jumps with the original line set. Though many advised me to replace the line set, (some DZ's even tried to ground it) I don't replace a line set until a line breaks. No line ever broke. :ph34r:

6. The last canopy I purchased in 2006 (Sabre 2) came with packing tabs as standard.

7. Speed is not important to me. "The perfect speed is being there" B|

8. And most importantly for me, it works !!! Reliably, on heading and softly. Why change ?

To each their own !!!

Blueskys!!!

P. Smurf

... [A] "roll pack" will give you at the least a 90* off heading opening and the possibility of line burn to your stabilizers and other parts of the canopy.

Could you explain a little more, please? Why should the heading necessarily be at least 90 degrees off, and why would the possibility of line burns increase?

Thanks,
Mark

Sure Mark,
With the standard "roll pack" the nose is 90* to the right of the jumper and then rolled into the center, thus creating 1/4 of a line twist. Unlike the pro/psycho or stack pack, the nose isn't directly in front of the jumper during deployment. Again, Unlike the pro/psycho or stack pack the lines are also being rolled into the canopy and are whiped accross during deployment.

I hope this helps

With the standard "roll pack" the nose is 90* to the right of the jumper and then rolled into the center, thus creating 1/4 of a line twist. Unlike the pro/psycho or stack pack, the nose isn't directly in front of the jumper during deployment.

Okay, I can see your idea about the nose. But isn't the tail flopped the other way, creating an equal line twist in the opposite direction?

Also, I've tried flat packing by flopping the A's onto the B's, then stacking the rest like a common flat pack. That got the lines in the center of the pack, with about equal fabric on both sides. I don't recall any unusual turning tendencies, but I don't understand why not.

Unlike the pro/psycho or stack pack the lines are also being rolled into the canopy and are whiped accross during deployment.

Is this the same idea as why it's important to clear the fabric to the sides when pro-packing?

Thanks,
Mark

I have to main canopies, one I pro-pack the other I flat pack for opening reasons. A long time ago before pro packing was popular I was pro packing a chute at a boogie and someone walking by expressed their concern for my sanity by claiming that I was packing a ready made malfunction:$
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Okay, I can see your idea about the nose. But isn't the tail flopped the other way, creating an equal line twist in the opposite direction?

OK, this is the "roll pack" that I'm talking about:
-Flake out the conopy, so the nose is to the right and the tail to the left
-Set Brakes
-fold the nose over to it's even with the a lines
-fold a to b
-flake tail and fold brake lines to d
-courtosy fold the rest of the tail in
-d to c
-slider up (this is where you see a knot's in the d lines that need to be worked out, also the stabilizers unually gets worked inbetween the line and needs to be cleared)
-fold the nose to the center
-fold the tail over top of the nose
-make sure slider is clean
-s-fold and place into d-bag

Also, I've tried flat packing by flopping the A's onto the B's, then stacking the rest like a common flat pack. That got the lines in the center of the pack, with about equal fabric on both sides. I don't recall any unusual turning tendencies, but I don't understand why not.

Wouldn't that essentially be a stack pack but just rolling the nose??? The tail is going to be behind the jumper and the nose is just going to roll out.

Is this the same idea as why it's important to clear the fabric to the sides when pro-packing?

I think you are thinking about the stack pack where you clear the stabilizers, then yes that's why it's important to clear the fabric to the sides, like the pro/psycho pack. But for the roll pack there's not a step for clearing the stabilizers, since they're being rolled in and not "stacked" on top of eachother.

Interesting discussion, thanks Mark!

I hope this helps

I think flat packing does help students learn the canopy and how it all comes together, but after learning that and doing some of that type they need to move on can learn other packing methods and decide for themselves which method to use. Pro is safe, functional, and reliable, but than again, so is flat packing. Flat packing for up jumpers is considered by many (especially the "ultra-cool" FS yuppies) to be old school, and 99% of the time it one particular type of pack job is not needed.

There...fixed it for ya! :)

Thank you!

Once again....
To which "flat" packing style are you referring?
http://www.pcprg.com/packing.htm

Another interesting note for those of you who think that a particular pack job will necessarily open off heading...

I jumped a friends canopy once that was roll packed, and my awareness that day was such that I noticed all of the folds come unfolded and the canopy turn to the orientation that gave me an on-heading opening. It was really interesting.

Why this can often happen is that your body has more mass and does not turn as easily as the canopy, so the canopy is more likely to orient itself to your body than the opposite situation.