gravitywhore

do you flat pack or pro pack and why ??

what is the point in flat packing? the pro is faster for 95% of us at least, takes a lot less room and just as safe. Guess I just don't see the point in it other than special situations in which it is needed.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

What reserves, other than rounds, don't you pro-pack???

Its been awhile, so I'd have to go look it up to be sure, but the last time I packed a Strong Tandem Reserve the instructions called for a side (or stack pack... not quite a roll pack) and NOT to Pro-Pack it, as I recall.

Strong, Para-flite and Pisa manuals say to flat pack. Some manufacturers recommend pro, some flat, and some say you can do it either way. I honestly believe how you fold it and place it into the bag is up to the discretion of the rigger. The technique used (or method) is not significant. Once it comes out of the bag the opening should be the same.

what is the point in flat packing? the pro is faster for 95% of us at least, takes a lot less room and just as safe. Guess I just don't see the point in it other than special situations in which it is needed.

I will go out on a limb here but I would guess from your statements you don't really understand flat packing. If a table is available I would rather flat pack than get down on my knees any freaking day! Unfortunately tables take up a lot of space and very few drop zones have them anymore.

I can flat pack on the carpet (or grass) faster than I can propack. It might be slower for you because you don't know how to do it and you don't have the experience. Both methods have advantages and both have drawbacks. Line overs were unheard of before pro packing, flat packing takes up more space, etc.

Don't knock something just because you don't understand it.

... Line overs were unheard of before pro packing, flat packing takes up more space, etc.

Line overs can also happen when a brake releases during opening
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

Who told you that?

Hey! I cannot sleep and could find it :)
"Line overs can occur when a brake lock releases during the opening sequence allowing one side of the canopy to surge forward over itself, or due to a packing error or an Act of God " The Skydiver's Handbook, Dan Poynter, Mike Turoff, page 138

Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

... Line overs were unheard of before pro packing, flat packing takes up more space, etc.

I agree with the peckerhead dude! :D

It was in the advertisements for some early paraflite square reserves. I don't know if it was the safety flyer or safety star, but they compared it to round reserves, and that squares don't suffer this malfunction mode. Of course that was when squares really did have a square shape. :D Seriously, though, I agree that the line over malfunction didn't seem to exist on the radar until pro-packing, but maybe it is more attributable to higher aspect ratio canopies or some other factor.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Line overs "can" occur when a brake lock releases during the opening sequence allowing one side of the canopy to surge forward over itself, "or due to a packing error" or an "Act of God" " The Skydiver's Handbook, Dan Poynter, Mike Turoff, page 138

When that was written line overs on ram air canopies were extremely rare. So rare an Act of God was considered a reasonable explanation.

Brake fires are caused by improperly stowing the brakes or only stowing one side. The only other possibility is a toggle being snagged on the container during deployment.

What does this have to do with flat vs pro?