gravitywhore

do you flat pack or pro pack and why ??

A flat pack has to turn to the same heading as a pro pack to open anyway. Why not eliminate that from the start. You can always stick your hand inside just before wrapping the tail for line check do that on a flat pack.I have done them all but stick with the pro pack

A flat pack has to turn to the same heading as a pro pack to open anyway. Why not eliminate that from the start.

A pro pack is S-folded from front to back (with the two sides in separate stacks).

A flat pack is S-folded from front to back (with both sides together)

There's no turn, and you can even have symetrical treatment of the nose if you want.

Neither - I psycho pack - although I call it the FLOS pack (flaming lazy old skydivers). I prefer FLOS packing for a number of reasons: speed, ease, consistantly nice openings. It's especially a thing of beauty with new ZP canopies - goes into the deploynment bag easily.

;)

Neither - I psycho pack - although I call it the FLOS pack (flaming lazy old skydivers).

I prefer the Psycho pack, also. Now I know why. ;)

Kevin

The 'psycho' part of a pack job is just a small part of the overall process, and is completely independent of whether you do a flat/stack or pro pack.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A flat pack has to turn to the same heading as a pro pack to open anyway.

Not true. In the seventies, flat packing was the way we all packed our squares and most of our openings were on heading. It's just an illusion of trying to see how the canopy spread out on the ground opens.

Nevertheless, nowadays I pro pack. It's just simpler and amazingly logical, faster too. Only drawback I've ever heard of is a claim that pro packs have more lineover mals than flat packing. I DO see how that can happen with pro packing, but prefer it anyway.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Neither - I psycho pack - although I call it the FLOS pack (flaming lazy old skydivers). I prefer FLOS packing for a number of reasons: speed, ease, consistantly nice openings. It's especially a thing of beauty with new ZP canopies - goes into the deploynment bag easily.

;)

On the flip side, I think Psyco Packing -may- cause excess wear over time to the canopy during deployment. Of course, I have no real world testing or data to back this up; just a gut feeling about the center of the canopy being pulled out one side and thereby causing a twisting of the material.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

;)

On the flip side, I think Psyco Packing -may- cause excess wear over time to the canopy during deployment. Of course, I have no real world testing or data to back this up; just a gut feeling about the center of the canopy being pulled out one side and thereby causing a twisting of the material.

Interesting thought, Quade. I could see as how this could be true.

Nonetheless, I'm going to keep psycho-packing my nearly-new Sabre for a while...at least until I get a bigger bag to put it in (shallow bag & slippery snot canopy = crazy-long pro packjobs...& lots of cursing).

I wonder if someone might do a study sometime soon on different packjobs versus canopy wear & present the findings? Then again, I wonder how one could do a study on this sort of thing and keep variables in check...? A very interesting thought, though.
Signatures are the new black.

I wonder if someone might do a study sometime soon on different packjobs versus canopy wear & present the findings? Then again, I wonder how one could do a study on this sort of thing and keep variables in check...? A very interesting thought, though.

Notice that packing is a religion.
There are easier way to bag a canopy than one is though for students.

This is my way.

I pack my main (Xaos -21) and my tandem the same way. similar to a reserve pack. Its basically a pro-pack that is done on the floor from the start. Gather centre cell together and then flake nose, clear stabilisers and place brake-lines inside. repeat for other side. quarter slider and wrap. I am finding that this is the quickest way to pack I have ever found. Thanks Vasili B| for teaching me.

Great openings consistantly on heading and smooth.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

When I first learned to pack, it was flat packing. Our club believes (and I agree) that you get a better understanding of the canopy if you flat pack. After about 50 or 60 packs, and during my first boogie, and because I didn't have the space, I learned to Pro-pack, and now that's what I do.

I find pro-packing, faster, easier, although it seems very easy to cause a line over or similar problem, although I haven't had anything like that happen yet (knock wood)
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

If you flat pack you are laying it on its side nose right or nose left then stacking it. Your rig is set as though you are lying on your stomach. how can it not turn on opening to be relative to you?

Larry, a "stack" pack, once folded, is NOT 90 degrees off heading, but is nearly as symmetrical as a "pro" pack.

A "roll" pack on the other hand, needs to do a number of turns while unfolding to be on heading.

Knowing which "flat" pack people are refering to is needed.

Unfortunately, nearly everyone uses the name "flat" for anything that is flaked out on the ground!