mnskydiver688

Scary prospects

I have looked through various threads concerning the threat of decline facing the sport of skydiving. The most recent Skydive Radio really kind of punched it home.

When I enter a sport I do so with a passion. Never has a sport that I have been passionate about been threatened to this extent. I feel helpless when I talk to people about the sport itself and they show absolutely no interest in hearing anything I have to say. Or the reaction of "Oh that is so cool I have always wanted to try that." I just want to shake them and say "THEN DO IT! It is fun and personally rewarding."

I want to get new people into the sport but it feels like I am pulling teeth and I end up pulling my hair out. It is amazing all the different excuses people come up with. Ok I am done venting and I need a drink. WE NEED MORE PEOPLE
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

after years of trying to talk others into skydiving,,,
i found out that if the person doesn't wanna do it,, they won't....
and not everyone wants to jump out of an airplane..

they always say "oh that is so cool i wanna do it," but deep down inside they think that it is not worth it, or time, or taking the huge risk...

just like i always say "oh that motorcycle is so cool i wanna get it." but do i ever buy one and ride it?? no,,, i've been saying that since high school.. But deep down inside, i don't really wanna spend that much money for a bike...(meaning i don't give a shit about biking world).

Just like that most people think that it is a very stupid idea to jump and spend 22 dollars for a 50 sec thrill and plus they think that everybody gets killed when you skydive...(so not true)

But what do i know i only have 200 jumps........
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I think they should bring back the static line program. Lodi has one and it only ends up being around 700 bucks for your A licence as oposed to 2000 bucks with yhe ISP.

This has been a topic of discussion around a number of other DZ's I fly at, too. And while I went through AFF and really loved it, I can't help but think that the cost barrier makes people shy away. I was even talking to one whuffo friend tonight who, after 1 jump (and, uh, dating a skydiver for a few months), said she'd go back & pursue her license in a heartbeat...if she had the cash. But she doesn't, and doesn't want to save for a year.

Anyone have any thoughts? Could Static Line save the sport?
Signatures are the new black.

In The Netherlands every DZ still over staticline courses and only 1 DZ doesn't offer staticline progression. Over here the "market" has crashed a couple of years ago also.

Possible factors:

- Economics ?
- Competing cheap holidays?
- My body is my temple philosophy (and need to protect it) ?
- Most people make about 700 jumps, you used to take 8-10 years for those numbers, now only 2. (making the current market smaller and also mouth to mouth declining)
- Smaller military budgets ?
- Because of changing mentality people are more and more customers, activly promoting skydiving has declined ?
- People get the experience with tandem instead of a course ? (tandem brings in less money and is more frightening then a course) (Any statistics about people remaing in sport after tandem in which they selves activate the drogue release?)

-others?
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

i like that the price excludes a lot of people. It means that if they take it up they are at least initially they're likely to be more serious about it.
remember that the more people that can come in the more of EVERY type of person cwill be in the sport. More good people but also more Idiots, more people with safety issues,
more of everything
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

People get the experience with tandem instead of a course ? (tandem brings in less money and is more frightening then a course) (Any statistics about people remaing in sport after tandem in which they selves activate the drogue release?)

You can contact Steve B. at Skydive Spaceland. As one of the co-authors of the Tandem Progression method, he keeps annual records of total tandems to student to A License. His retention rate is fairly high and higher than AFF.

Regardng Static-Line - If it is a 182 DZ, the S/L method is the most cost efficient for the student and generates the highest margin for the DZ.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Cost should never have anything to do with training. If you have a desire to be in the sport, and the aptitude to perform, you will find a way.
I NEVER talk people into skydiving. In fact, I give them the cold hard facts up front. Better they know what theyre getting into in the beginning than 6-12 months in.
I remember sitting around after my AFF level 1, after sunset, having a beer with my JMs. We were getting to know each other, and I was so excited I could barely sit still. Then at some point the told me I would loose many of my wuffo friends, I watch my friends die, I would probably get hurt and/or die, and that if I were to be successful I would have to make a commitment to learning.

My brother wants to skydive now. I told him the above, told him to come read the incidents forum here. If he was still intrested, come back and see me. He called just the other day.

Im gonna go out on a limb here: Skydiving is NOT for everyone. Most "extreme" sports are NOT for the faint of heart. If you dont skydive, and want to hang out with us, its gonna take a lot on your part, but you know what, we accept those that dont jump. My wife is a prime example.

I agree that there are trends in the current market, but thats just the nature of any market. In fact, I believe we have some of the greatest talent and potential for groth because of recent publicity. Stunt Junkies, etc. But I also belive in solid training, and preparation.

Just my .02 cents worth of rambling. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Not everybody wants to skydive. Not everybody should skydive. Those who want to try it will. Those who can afford to continue or that get bit hard enough that they don't care if they can afford it or not will continue. That's the way it is. We don't need more people.

Eventually you'll get over being a skydiving evangelist...

Cost should never have anything to do with training. If you have a desire to be in the sport, and the aptitude to perform, you will find a way.

i disagree. i did my first tandem in 1991 and was hooked. wanted to go for my license right then and there. but had a mortgage, bills, 3 small kids and no money. maybe if i had sold one of my kids, i'd have "found a way". short of that, i simply did not have the $2000+ for the training.

the kids are older now, i still have that darn mortgage, and i have college bills to pay. if i didn't get that incredible birthday gift last fall, i'd still be without my "a" license.

i think it's a bit presumptuous of you to say that if you have a desire to be in the sport, you will find a way. i completely agree cost *should* never have anything to do with it, but the reality of life is that it always will. now, if you have any suggestions how i can "find a way" to buy some equipment, i'm all ears :)

Yup I guess will get to the point where I don't care about the state of the sport I love and just care about whether or not "I" can continue to jump. Yup I guess I will get to the point where I will not reach out at all and just do my own thing. As long as I can keep jumping that is all that matters right?
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

i disagree. i did my first tandem in 1991 and was hooked. wanted to go for my license right then and there. but had a mortgage, bills, 3 small kids and no money. maybe if i had sold one of my kids, i'd have "found a way". short of that, i simply did not have the $2000+ for the training.

the kids are older now, i still have that darn mortgage, and i have college bills to pay. if i didn't get that incredible birthday gift last fall, i'd still be without my "a" license.

i think it's a bit presumptuous of you to say that if you have a desire to be in the sport, you will find a way. i completely agree cost *should* never have anything to do with it, but the reality of life is that it always will. now, if you have any suggestions how i can "find a way" to buy some equipment, i'm all ears :)

Yeah but cost has nothing to do with it. You lack time. If you had more free time you could go to the DZ every weekend and pack and you would be a skydiver in no time. That option is there for almost anyone. I mean, you can only have so many packers, but I can tell you at my DZ we are always short handed.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

wanted to go for my license right then and there. but had a mortgage, bills, 3 small kids and no money. maybe if i had sold one of my kids, i'd have "found a way". short of that, i simply did not have the $2000+ for the training.

There are always ways to come up with the money if you want to do it bad enough. I was a single parent with an $8/hour job when I learned to skydive. I know plenty of people who have packed their way to an A license. Others sell their cool car and get something less expensive. Still others put the whole thing on credit cards or refinance their house.

If someone wants to do something bad enough, they will find a way to make it happen.

now, if you have any suggestions how i can "find a way" to buy some equipment, i'm all ears

Trade the car for something less expensive. Instead of driving to work, ride a bike, walk or use public transportation and use what you save on gas to pay for a rig. Sell one or more of the other toys. Put it on a credit card. Refinance the house and pull out enough cash to buy gear. Become a packer. Let the kids pay their own way through college. Sell the nice furniture and replace it with cheaper used stuff. Get a second job. Pare down the budget to only the essentials (ie food and shelter). Choose to purchase older used gear; it may not be freefly safe or have a zp main but it will get you in the air. Build your rig one piece at a time, as you can afford to buy each item.

There are ways to make it happen, but to do it you have to decide that it means enough to you to be worth sacrificing something else for.

Yup I guess will get to the point where I don't care about the state of the sport I love and just care about whether or not "I" can continue to jump. Yup I guess I will get to the point where I will not reach out at all and just do my own thing. As long as I can keep jumping that is all that matters right?

Some of us prefer to put our energy toward keeping those who have already made the decision to be skydivers in the sport instead of trying to talk people who have little or no desire to even try it into jumping.

But thanks for insinuating that we don't care about the sport.

i like that the price excludes a lot of people.

I don't think the price excludes people at all, I think it is the oposite.

If the cost of a tandem was a large investment for people I would expect to see more of them continue.

Tandems don't invest in the sport. They spend 10 minutes of their time, no effort spent training, and money they would piss down the drain some other way.

After they are done they get their tshirt, and having nothing invested, they have no reason to continue.

People getting hooked after a tandem is rare.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was hooked the second I exited the plane for the first time. I went right home and picked up two more jobs.
I took what little I could out of each paycheck, and worked my ass off allllll winter until the season started. All of it went to AFF, my license and my gear.
If you want it, you will find a way to make it happen. I don't think skydiving is any less expensive than any other sport one might want to get into.
My dad was giving me a hard time one day about how much $$ I've put into jumping and my equipment. His hobby is hiking and camping. I asked him how much his tent was.... he told me 1500 bucks..... that doesn't include his clothing, shoes, and the rest of his gear. When we started doing the math... he's put as much cash into hiking as I have for my AFF, license and my rig. I don't think cost should sway anyone that really loves this sport.
I've been broke since my first skydive. I work several jobs over the winter, I've sold a whoooole bunch of stuff I really liked. I want to skydive so much I'm willing to alter my way of life in order to be able to afford it. And it's worth it to me...but maybe not so much for other people.
I haven't been in this sport long.... but I am so glad I finally figured out that I'm a skydiver.

Well before I did my first jump, which was a tandem. I had no idea there was that option. I thought skydiving was something a few people did and it was out of my reach. My friend actually asked me if I wanted to go for his 18th birthday. After hearing how accessible it was I was all for it. I had no idea there was a place to do it in my area. So am I saying that we need to drag people out to the DZ? No, but by the nature of life people are going to be exiting the sport all the time. The biggest issue is age. Everyone gets old even seasoned skydivers, so if all we do is put energy into those already in the sport what happens when that supply of people is exhausted? If my friend who is a pilot hadn't come to me and asked me to make a jump I'm sure that I would've never known what is out there in the sport of skydiving.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I feel helpless when I talk to people about the sport itself and they show absolutely no interest in hearing anything I have to say.

I had the same thing when I started to jump.
But then I realised that not everyboy has the same interests. I'm interested in astronomy, but there are a lot of people who are not interested in it, so I basicly don't talk about it to them, just like I don't talk about skydiving to my non-jumping friends.
Likewise, if some-one comes to me and starts talking about the football competition I'm at the least going to be bored, or get agitated if they continue to whine about it ;)

[Quote]Or the reaction of "Oh that is so cool I have always wanted to try that." I just want to shake them and say "THEN DO IT! It is fun and personally rewarding."
I used to have the same! But, there are a lot of things that I want to do, but I don't do them rigth now. Why not? Because I currently do other things that I find more important, and there isn't enough time/money left. Skydiving is not for everyone a top priority. One year before I started jumping it wasn't a top priority for me, but I could have easily done it at the time (money wise, time wise).

It is amazing all the different excuses people come up with.

Maybe they just want you to shut up about it? ;)
Take my advice and stop talking about skydiving to people who are not interested in it. You are only wasting your time and it migth be really bad for the friendship (been there, done that...)

I rarely talk to my non-jumping friends about jumping. We have other common interest that we talk about.

WE NEED MORE PEOPLE

I don't generaly agree with that anyway.

There is a difference between letting people know you jump and that you can learn to do it and trying to talk them into doing it. I didn't realize you could go learn how to fall from a plane either, until meeting my husband. He also never tried to talk me into jumping though... he never even asked me to go to the DZ with him. I decided 2 years into our marriage that I would give it a whirl.

Skydiving isn't like a lot of other activities... you will die unless you do something to prevent it every time you leave the plane. Occasionally, a jumper dies even after doing everything to prevent it. I will never try to talk someone into jumping. I'll answer every question they have, but that is all. If they chose to take the leap, that is their choice, not mine. It's not for everyone.

Like a couple of others have said, I would prefer to channel my energy into getting those first time jumpers to become second, third, etc., time jumpers... keep them in the sport once they make the decision for themselves.

I disagree with you about why jumpers are leaving the sport. I've seen more people leave due to injuries, seeing other people get hurt, and losing too many friends to the sport than those who have gotten too old to jump.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I understand the point of age not being the biggest factor , but people leave the sport one way or another. I am not trying to convince people against their will, but those first time jumpers how did they become first time jumpers? They had to hear about it from somewhere or someone? I completely agree with helping those first time jumpers make many more, but how we portray skydiving to that person making a first jump is what is crucial. Everyone has to make their first jump. How they get to that first jump and how they feel after that first jump is what I see as important.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Did anyone have to try to convince you to make your first jump? Talk you into it to the point that they wanted to pull their hair out?

How would you feel if someone that you talked into making that first jump went in on their first jump?

You can approach it two ways...
1. 'I skydive' and let them ask questions if they are actually interested
2. 'I skydive and you should to' followed by beating into their heads why they should jump.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda