77r

Cypres question

Some containers use a two pin reserve release method and some use a one pin reserve release system. Today, I believe a vast majority of containers are the single pin type. So some of the cypres's are from containers that used two pins. You can change a cypres from two pin to one pin by buying a new cutter.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Why do some cypress have 1 pin and some have 2? What are the disadvantages or advantage of either one aside from price?

A one pin Cypress will be an advantage if you have a one pin container (most of them) and a disadvantage if you have a two pin container (very few).
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Why do some reserve containers have one closing and others have two? Answer this, and you'll have your answer.

Same difference. I just want to know why either way.

You basically just have two different, though similar solutions to the same problem, how to keep the reserve in the container. I can logically see arguments for and against eack system... 2 pins equals half the risk of a premature deployment and twice the risk of a hard reserve pull. Maybe not exact but it is a logical flow. No real reason to pinpoint that I can think of other than manufacturers having unique solutions to identical problems.

2 pins equals half the risk of a premature deployment and twice the risk of a hard reserve pull.

Actually, 2 pins reduces the amount of force compared to a one pin system where all of the tension is on the one pin. Since the reserve pins on a Racer are located against the jumpers back they are better protected from an accidental reserve deployment as well. Jump shack explains it in question number 8 HERE
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

>Actually, 2 pins reduces the amount of force compared to a one pin system . . .

A few other advantages:

1) You can route an RSL to each pin. Thus, your reserve will not be deployed unless BOTH risers are gone. I think a foreign student rig uses such a system.

2) With external pilot chutes, the external PC cannot rotate. I never saw a problem with an external single-pin PC rotating, but John Sherman seems to think it's significant.

3) Slightly more resistance to premature deployments.

Some drawbacks:

1) Complexity; two pins to bend and/or jam

2) Can cause an odd-angle PC launch if the pins clear at slightly different times

I think a foreign student rig uses such a system

PdF's Atom does, with the LOR system, also available on sport rigs. But AFAIK for Atoms it's 2 pins into 2 loops into one AAD cutter. I . My Atom was already modded to 1pin/single side RSL when I got it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia