jumper03

Head to head tracking contest....

So lets say you have a wiseass that has an over inflated sense of her tracking and swears she can out track you...:D

I'm thinking the best way to settle this is a three way with the third person being an impartial observer, maybe even with video. Exit into an open accordian with the wise ass and myself parallel, the observer says go and we both take off, who ever gets the furtherest away wins.

Anyone got a better or simpler idea????
Scars remind us that the past is real

GPS? That might be better for getting an accurate measure of "furtherest." :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well you can kinda run into a problem with the three man configuration.

Say the wiseass has a different tracking style than you. Really fast track but not entirely flat.

You on the other hand flat track like a skinny mofo with huge legs and arms. Not superfast horisontally but so flat wingsuit fliers are unable to dock.

The third dude goes "oh WTF" and about 5 seconds onto the video the camera alternates wildly between the low dude and the high dude. It's sucky video but the story behind is kinda funny.

Well you can kinda run into a problem with the three man configuration.

Say the wiseass has a different tracking style than you. Really fast track but not entirely flat.

You on the other hand flat track like a skinny mofo with huge legs and arms. Not superfast horisontally but so flat wingsuit fliers are unable to dock.

The third dude goes "oh WTF" and about 5 seconds onto the video the camera alternates wildly between the low dude and the high dude. It's sucky video but the story behind is kinda funny.

This happened to me last weekend. I happen to be one of those longer jumpers and a buddy of mine isn't so much. Isn't it better to flat track and cover more distance with a slower fall rate than to speed off but more or less in a head down track??

I thought the whole purpose of tracking was to get separation...yeah I can go fast too but thats not really the point is it??
Someday Never Comes

I'd say that flat and far should be equally important in the race so you would have to stay side-by-side on the track.

This would give an advantage to the flatter tracker as the steeper one would waste energy trying to stay up.

Smoke ass, Steven.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Just exit one after the other, both commecing the track in a certain direction right away. Have a predetermined pull alt for both, and whoever is furthes AND highest at pull time wins! Done it before, and it's as simple as it gets.

Do it like any tracking contest. Get out one after another, track perpendicular to the jump run, open at the same planned altitude, see who went farther. Of course, the tracking contests usually get a jump run offset by a mile or so, if exiting from 12.5k, otherwise you might not make it back to the DZ.

Yeah, when we did this, we opened high to alleviate the making it back problem. Since we were so far off jump run, it's not a big issue opening a bit higher than everyone. Just make sure you let everyone on the load know what the plan is.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Since I am the "wiseass" in question, I say ...

Bring it on Southern Boy.:P

But are you sure you want so many witnesses to your humiliating defeat?:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edit to add: :D:D:D
If you were Native american you could be known as "woman who track with lead in pants"

:D:D:D

Just exit one after the other, both commecing the track in a certain direction right away. Have a predetermined pull alt for both, and whoever is furthes AND highest at pull time wins! Done it before, and it's as simple as it gets.

If you both pull at the same alt, how is one of you going to be higher than the other? :)
__

My mighty steed

1) Because one will have a snivelly canopy and one will not.
2) Because your alitmeters will not be calibrated the same.
3) Because one will stop, wave off, check for traffic and then pull. The other will just pull in a track to make themselves look better.

The real way to find out if you can track is to come to DeLand and get on a dive with Carl Daugherty or Mike J. Then at break-off you will realize you don't know shit about tracking when they leave you as if you are still falling straight down! :D:D:D

track is to come to DeLand and get on a dive with Carl Daugherty or Mike J. Then at break-off you will realize you don't know shit about tracking when they leave you as if you are still falling straight down! :D:D:D

That doesn't settle this dispute....

:D

In our circle, she's known as the MASTER TRACKER ... so I would tread carefully.

Disclaimer: "our circle" may or may not be comprised of more than two people.:P

If you both pull at the same alt, how is one of you going to be higher than the other?

No worries. It's not like he has the guts to actually go through with it. :o

:o no you just didn't......

If you both pull at the same alt, how is one of you going to be higher than the other? :)

Because its likely that one or the other is not as good at tracking as the other(why else would there be so much shit talking going on??). When I track with a shorter, lighter jumper they almost always drop 500'-1000' feet below me. In my opinion that means they automatically lose because they aren't flying a straight flat efficient track in the first place...more of a bullshit track thats an abortion of headdown and tracking.
Someday Never Comes