freeflyin84

AFF.....to tip or not to tip??

so here's the question. i've already shelled out $1400 for AFF. no question i'm stoked about it. but am i supposed to tip the tandem master after every jump? what are the standard procedures here. that could get kinda expensive, although worth it considering the experience we're learning from. i was thinking a case of beer, but i don't know what most people do. apprecieate the help.

Think theres probably threads on it already, but no I wouldn't think you tip them with money (and I couldnt afford to as AFF was $$$) - I tipped my instructors by working my ass off, giving (and still giving) them the massive amounts of respect they deserve and trying to become a great and safe skydiver - now that the warm fuzzy shit has been said I think no one says no to beer or lapdances.

Once you have passed your AFF course then buy a crate of beer while your AFF video is on the big screen,might guarantee a small audience!!.
Good luck on your course.
Steve
B|
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

here's a tip, if you're doing AFF and Tandems for the money, you're in the wrong business of making money.

our instructors rarely get tips. it's like anything else, tip if you want, but it's not expected.

tips are generaly given to someone when they feel you have gone above and beyond, not "just because". It's what ruins the sport - money that is.
Brad

you guys rock....thanks for the info. me and my bro have our final tandems tomorrow and we were definatley kinda curious on the whole situation. a case of beer is definatley in order after AFF is over, and we appreicate the advice from all you guys. blue skies and safe landings!! see ya'll on the ground!!:)

I think it depends on the situation. If you have different AFF instructors for every jump, then no. If you have the same one for six jumps, then it would be nice. Or, if you have that one that really just had a significant effect on your skydiving.

I say if you have the money, then go ahead and tip your instructors, or take them out to dinner, or something. I always put it in terms of how much is it worth to me that they are watching out for my life? Not to mention the extra time they put into explaining things to me, which continues even after my AFF when they are not making money off me.

HOWEVER, we ALL know that skydiving is a pretty expensive sport, so if you don't have the money to tip, don't feel a pressure to. Just buy 'em a beer every now and then, if you can; and of course don't forget the graduation case!

But I agree with Digitalmafia. I think listening and learning and being the best skydiver you can be is definitely the best showing of gratitude! And lots of "thank you"s too!
Failure is not falling down, but refusing to get up.
- A Chinese Proverb

I tipped my tandem instructor, I never tipped my AFF instructor.

My AFF instructor is honestly family in my book, I don't think I would tip my father for taking me to the airport. Instead I have bought dinner, hung out, and tried to act like family in return. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was under the impression that the whole idea behind beer rules was for newer skydivers to pay back apprieciation to the people who invested in their training... I never tipped my AFF instructors, but they've been drinking my beer for every first I've had for the past 200+ jumps

I was under the impression that the whole idea behind beer rules was for newer skydivers to pay back apprieciation to the people who invested in their training...

It is, but it is also a way to get older jumpers to talk and hang out with us. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was under the impression that the whole idea behind beer rules was for newer skydivers to pay back apprieciation to the people who invested in their training... I never tipped my AFF instructors, but they've been drinking my beer for every first I've had for the past 200+ jumps

Good girl. Keep it up. Bring some beer north to Orange. We tend to like to drink it.

But if you bring crap beer, don't be surprised when we shake it up, put it in the peas at sunset, and kick the shit out of it as we land:PB|

Over the years I have been tipped quite often, from $2 up to $100. It is NOT expected, but highly appreciated. Some students can afford to pay the instructors a tip, and some can not. Do NOT feel obligated to do it after every one of your skydives, but you probably learn during your training that buying a case of beer after you graduate is tradition.

Nowaday's I only instructed privately, and my students bring me a nice bottle of wine. Far better then a case of beer...... ;)

Good luck during your course.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I definantly bought my AFF instructor a case after we finished my AFF, we did the last five in a row in CO in december out of the cessna when it was really cold out, but I finished. Make sure you find out what type of beer they like.

Will

DO NOT TIP YOUR INSTRUCTORS - just continue skydiving, that's the best thing you can do for them and the sport.

You might feel differently if you were an instructor fulltime...

Ed (bodypilot) said it perfectly. Ditto...
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

DO NOT TIP YOUR INSTRUCTORS - just continue skydiving, that's the best thing you can do for them and the sport.

You might feel differently if you were an instructor fulltime...

Ed (bodypilot) said it perfectly. Ditto...
-

Or you might just wana give back to the sport :)

I am a cheap bastard what can I say. Although at the end of the day while learning I bought my instructos a beer and just hung out and BS'd aboiut the day.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I've never been tipped for an AFF jump.

I have been tipped for quite a few tandems. All of the tips were received from one jump students and not from people going through tandem progression training. I would never take a tip from a returning student.

My motto is: Tips, never expected, always respected.