GreatGigInThSky

Pulling High - A Discussion for Students

So I've now had three jumps that I chose (before getting on the plane obviously) to pull high. Once at 7,000, once at 6,000 and once all the way up. I just wanted to start a discussion on here geared toward beginners. I think pulling high is a really great way to learn how to handle your canopy better (not to mention at sunset is really beautiful). But there are factors to consider and different things to be especially aware of if you are relatively new to skydiving (like me).

This is my advice as a student speaking to other students. If I am mistaken, please feel free to correct me. And please add on!

First, check the upper winds! Make sure you can handle their strength, be aware of their direction. Etc.

Next, naturally, make sure to tell everyone on your load what you're doing so you can be placed on the plane appropriately.

Third, SPOT! I learned the hard way! I was placed to jump after the tandems and before one wingsuit flyer. It was my 26th jump and had been pretty reliant on the pilot, instructors and experienced jumpers to help me spot. Finding myself next to last to jump out of the plane, I simply counted the separation and then jumped out after the tandem before me. Long story short, I ended up way far and landed out (even pulling at 6,000, I did not make it back). So make sure you are confidently spotting your own jumping before finding yourself last one out of the plane (remember the wingman can make it back in spots you cannot!).

Fourth, if you are pulling all the way up at 13,500 or around it, remember it's going to take you a long while to get to the ground. Make sure you have plenty of light left during a sunset jump. AND, pay very close attention to the ground winds! I just did my first high hop n' pop, got to 1000 feet and saw (and felt) that the winds had done a complete 180. By the time I got there, I did not have other canopies to watch the direction of landing, as everyone was down already and the two I had jumped with had much smaller canopies. Pay close attention to flags, windsock, water ripples, how the wind feels, etc. and play it as safe as possible! Be prepared for a change in the wind since it's been a while since you last checked them when you pull that high (and have a larger canopy, as students tend to)!

Any other advice is much welcomed!
Failure is not falling down, but refusing to get up.
- A Chinese Proverb

I havent done any high pulls for canopy work. Just relied on the time from regular pull time to 2500' 1000'. (depending on what im practicing, what the winds are and how far im out.)

I think its something to look into next time im at the dz.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

FIRST: check with manifest etc if it's ok for you do pull high. It may not be, because of winds, other planes, wingsuiters, what have you. Then check with any wingsuiters that may be in your stick, you do not want to run into them (or rather, vv).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It might be nice if your pilot told ATC there will be an open canopy at 13,000 feet AGL. In many areas, it's possible there will be planes, maybe fast ones, maybe IFR, whose pilots would not likely be looking around for small, slow-moving nylon targets, especially targets without transponders.

HW
(who, many years ago, looked down under canopy at 12 grand or so to see a DC9 or somesuch passing under him):o

Great post.

I am a little worried about your wording "so you can be placed on the plane appropriately".

Being placed indicates you are not in control of your own destiny and assume others will do it for you. At every DZ I have been to, even the big ones, you get to suggest where you want to be, and once off AFF (or whatever) you should know the standard exit order.

Why? Well, I have done a bunch of high pulls. Traditionally you get to negotiate with the wingsuiters at the back of the load who wants to get out last...

But, due to uppers and the direction of jump run - I have gotten out first too - short of where the first group would have gotten out. I told the first group what I was doing and asked the pilot to give me an "ok to go green light" well short of the normal spot. If you deploy right away and immediately turn off jump run, seconds after you deploy the next group has passed you and then you have the sky to yourself. This can help with your spot depending on the winds, or can make it much harder - all depending on the uppers and the direction of jumprun.

Also, you should consider doing some high pulls with friends. It is a lot of fun - and with a few simple rules of engagement, it can be done pretty safely... For an example, "never face me head on to close a gap" and "if we fly next to each other, end cell to end cell, I will be the one that will close the gap beyond 50 feet, you just fly a straight line. We won't (or will) touch our endcells." Etc...

It might be nice if your pilot told ATC there will be an open canopy at 13,000 feet AGL. In many areas, it's possible there will be planes, maybe fast ones, maybe IFR, whose pilots would not likely be looking around for small, slow-moving nylon targets, especially targets without transponders.

HW

Or even other planes at the same DZ.:P One of the most cool visuals... I jumped out of one of the planes and pulled high with permission of pilots. As I approached 6,000 I saw the Otter on a hop-n-pop jump run. I turned parallel to jump run and flew such that I could recognise my friends who were in the door jumping. Based upon their waves to me, I was confident everyone knew where everyone was. I talked to the pilot afterwords, and he affirmed he knew it was me and knew exactly where I was and soon as I waved back he was comfortable closing the gap. I so wish I had my camera on that jump.:S:P

I also did a high pull on a day where 6 F16s were flying formations for a parade and had a lot of airspace to themselves. It was not until jump run that the pilot and I were confident it was safe to highpull. He told me where they were at, and where they were going, and under canopy I was able to watch them in the distance overfly the parade.:$

FIRST: check with manifest etc if it's ok for you do pull high. It may not be, because of winds, other planes, wingsuiters, what have you. Then check with any wingsuiters that may be in your stick, you do not want to run into them (or rather, vv).

Manifest can advise you about the uppers, as well as have you put out over a different spot more appropriate for a.) your getting back to the DZ, and b.) not presenting a hazard to other jumpers.

For instance, CRW loads at Perris get out and do their thing to the west of Goetz Rd, which they're not allowed to cross above 2 grand, when it's time for the dash home. For a very high hop & pop, manifest might want to assign you a different exit point.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Hey,

I've done a few and they can be alot of fun, so long as you put some though into what you're about to do. Basically, cover yous A$$. Talk to manifest, the pilots, other jumpers. Let everyone know what's going on. And as already mentioned...know how to spot because, odds are you are the only one getting out that far from the DZ.

I want to do a bunch more this summer because the ones I did last summer didn't last long. Spiralling under a Spectre 135 burns up altitude pretty damn quick.

Have fun!

PS: Its also a great time for pictures! (But be safe and always keep an eye on what's going on around you) - See attached

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Hey Stumpy,

It's Mile High Parachuting in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
www.milehighparachuting.com

I plan on taking many more pics this summer though. Maybe a few sunset jumps... I love doing H+P's for the fact that I actually get to fly. I want to buy a paraglider for just that reason.

Later

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Caution: low jump number here.

Third, SPOT! I learned the hard way!

There is a device that can improve your spotting immensely. It used to be that every dropzone had one, but now you can't find one everywhere. New ones are quite expensive but used ones are cheaper and can be perfectly serviceable. This device is often called a "Cessna 182". :)

Fourth, if you are pulling all the way up at 13,500 or around it, remember it's going to take you a long while to get to the ground.

One thing I haven't personally experienced, but that others have commented on: Student gear is not known for being the best-fitting stuff in the world, and some people have reported that their legs were pretty unhappy by the time they got to the ground, even on a "normal" jump when they were only under canopy for a few thousand feet. If you have a choice at your DZ, it might be hepful to use the least bad student rig you can for a high hop-n-pop. This doesn't mean that you should pick the rig that fits really nice but has a canopy half the size of what you're used to, but if there is more than one student rig that has the same size canopy and deployment type, it might pay to try each one out and see which one fits you the best.

Caution: low jump number here.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

LOVE doing high pulls. Did a high pull at 10,000 for my 100th in Lake Wales. Was a great time to check out the scenery and look back and reflect at my skydiving career over the past 6 months (at the time in January).

Keep an eye on the winds, if possible get someone else who's more experienced to do one with you to have a good point of reference, and have fun! They are a great learning experience and a great time.

I love pulling high. My 29th jump (pop at 8k) was one of my most fun jumps to date.

I popped at 8000' on my last two jumps (29 and 30) so that I could play with the canopy and enjoy the view.

I always let the pilot know (and ask about wind speeds and direction), notify any instructors (or experienced jumpers) on the aircraft, and the DZO or DZM I will usually say something to if I plan on doing something out of the ordinary.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I just did my first high hop n' pop, got to 1000 feet and saw (and felt) that the winds had done a complete 180. ... Pay close attention to flags, windsock, water ripples, how the wind feels, etc. and play it as safe as possible! Be prepared for a change in the wind ...

One thing - the wind feels the same to you under canopy whether you are flying crosswind, downwind or upwind. You can generally tell which way the wind is blowing by watching your ground track. You will obviously drift downwind. Unless you are flying straight upwind or downwind, you will generally be able to see yourself crabbing over the ground, the result of the wind pushing you. If your groundtrack and the canopy's heading are the same, take mental note of your speed across the ground and then do a 180. If you are going faster once your canopy recovers than you were before, you are heading downwind. If you are going slower, you are flying into the wind.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com