Ron

Actual hook Knife use stories.

I feel its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

The ONE time I won't have it with me would be the ONE time I would need it.

It stays.

Why did you get your first one?

And do you train to use it?

did you use that line of thought, or did you just do what you were told?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Got mine for free with my rig purchase. Wear it. Don't have it in my emergency procedures at all...need to add it. Although with the plastic knife...don't know how good it would be if needed.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I feel its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

The ONE time I won't have it with me would be the ONE time I would need it.

It stays.

Why did you get your first one?

And do you train to use it?

did you use that line of thought, or did you just do what you were told?

no one ever really told me to get a hook knife, and now that you mention it, no one has ever even talked to me about it until now. The reason I bought my first one is that I would dream about skydiving all day after my first jumps. And I would go through the entire jump in my head, ride up, touch all the handles, practice EPs, have fun on the jump, opening (I ALWAYS have sweet openings in these day dreams) and then landing. I would also think about - now what in the hell could go wrong. I would sit around the DZ when not jumping and ask a bazillion questions - "Ever have a reserve ride? What happened?" things of that nature. And I've continued to do that everywhere I've gone. I began to understand how the rigs worked and then I could see where things could go wrong. At about jump 30 - when I bought the knife - I thought - damn, I could really see where one of these could be useful if a riser didn't let go or my hand was wrapped in the brake line or etc, etc. So I decided, wth - why not? It doesn't affect my performance - it doesn't hurt to have it there and it could pay off handsome dividends if I ever need it. Had it ever since.

Mine however is on the leg of my jumpsuit and yes, it gets touched along with all of the handles on each jump, and no, it's never been used to cut anything.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

There is a hook knife on my icon which I ordered (haven't got it yet). I'm glad its there..probably won't use it but you never know. I have seen two vidoes here on DZ.com though in one week where a hook-knive could have been very usefull altitude-permitting.

I have seen two vidoes here on DZ.com though in one week where a hook-knive could have been very usefull altitude-permitting.

Or where fumbling with a hook knife might have delayed a reserve pull, ending in something worse than a hard landing under an entagled/less than perfect reserve. That's the kind of thing that worries me.

I was thinking about THIS video. I can't watch it right now so I'm going by memory... but what would have happened if after pulling the main, he grabbed his hook knife, tried a couple times to reach that caught line, then dropped the knife or gave up before making a cut. THEN pulled the reserve into the mess. He'd have been in the same situation, just much lower.

Dave

I have a hook knife on my chest strap. I have recently been thinking about putting another one on my leg in case I cannot reach my chest if i am tangled.
the reason I got one in the first place is the people that taught (and are still teaching me) to skydive told me I should have one. I have to agree with the "why not" idea. If it could possibly save your ass and there is no reason not to have one "why not".

But, honestlly besides crw I have never heard of anyone that has used a hook knife to save their life.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

the reason I got one in the first place is the people that taught (and are still teaching me) to skydive told me I should have one. I have to agree with the "why not" idea. If it could possibly save your ass and there is no reason not to have one "why not".

OK so here is the really big question:

Why do some items or ways to deal with emergencies just get accepted (Such as get a hhok knife), while others (such as Watch your WL) are ignored?

Why is some advice not needed to be justified before people accpet it, and other advice must have graphs and charts provided?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

OK so here is the really big question:

Why do some items or ways to deal with emergencies just get accepted (Such as get a hhok knife), while others (such as Watch your WL) are ignored?

Why is some advice not needed to be justified before people accpet it, and other advice must have graphs and charts provided?

Ego? The old "It won't happen to me...I'm better...quicker...etc."

Plus, WL really wasn't emphasized when I started in the sport - just recently seems to be getting emphasized more. It takes people awhile to agree/comply with new "laws," and there will always be someone pushing the limits/"laws" to see what will happen. There are others that won't...others that will once or twice, scare the hell out of themselves and go back to "I'll wait a bit before I...(fill in the blank)."
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Plus, WL really wasn't emphasized when I started in the sport - just recently seems to be getting emphasized more.

no shit. I went through AFF in 97 and did all my AFF jumps on a Falcon 300. After AFF I had to rent a rig to finish out my student jumps (no coaching then so they were all solos). The DZO gave me a rig with a PD190 in it. I was about 190lbs at the time. It opened and I thought, holy shit, where's the rest of it?
Scars remind us that the past is real

I knew a guy that used one - he got wrapped up really low (below 1000') and spun in, landing on a slab of bedrock and breaking at least one femur (compound fracture_ a small distance from the dz. He thought he might bleed to death and cut some lines off the main he was wrapped in to make a tourniquet to place around his leg(s).

He could have made the tourniquet without cutting the lines, probably but they would have ended up cutting them before transporting him anyway...

Another guy I know went feet first into the grill of a (closed) chip wagon landing after a building jump. His main dropped over the van. Ground crew used the hook knife to cut a couple of lines in order to get the canopy off quickly before the cops got there..
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

i would think that having a hook knife would be ideal for seatbelt-related incidents. i know it's possible to make it to the door with a seatbelt still fastened. a hook knife could easily cut through them.

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

Have you seen the video from Jeffro, Omar and Jeremy (guys out at Skydvie AZ)...Jeffro uses his, it is the funniest actual use of a hook knive I have ever seen (actually on a flying main parachute)

Ok, I was browing through some old threads tonight and somehow found this... does anyone know where this video can be found? I'm interested...

Hi Aubrey. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Ok, I was browing through some old threads tonight and somehow found this... does anyone know where this video can be found? I'm interested

not sure, but i saw it at SDA over christmas and it is so funny.......AZTC might beable to point you in the righ direction.

I only needed one once, and I doubt it would have done any good. Cutaway from a bag-lock on a tandem, one side released and the other did not.

Reserve deployed into the main, finally cleared, but the knot of lines from the main, (wrapped around the reserve risers) was the size of a football in a large mass of lines and other crap. Old Dacron lines and such.

No knife, no way to cut it, wish I had one, but probably could have used a chainsaw instead.

Decided to steer and land what I had. Reserve spinning pretty bad, but got it under control and did a stand-up in the peas at SWOOP with the streamering main still attached and trailing behind us.

very cool but I do not recommend it

TK

I was doing a video jump last aug. After the stud deployed I rolled over to catch the opening on tape. I rolled face to earth at @3000 agl, closed my wings and dumped. Nothing, checked again,nada. No biggie,EPs..look,grab,look,grab...pull,pull check.
My raven opened nice and quick, but the pc in tow wrapped my right set of lines on my reserve. Through the lines and around the whole set(front and rear line sets). It had so much tension on it that i couldn't pull the risers apart.
Worried that if I unstowed the brakes it would keep the right break line at 50%, I let it fly straight back to the DZ.
Pulled out my hook knife and cleared the pc from the reserve line sets and went on to have a landing:S

Just my .02
Sea:ph34r:

I was doing a video jump last aug. After the stud deployed I rolled over to catch the opening on tape. I rolled face to earth at @3000 agl, closed my wings and dumped. Nothing, checked again,nada. No biggie,EPs..look,grab,look,grab...pull,pull check.
My raven opened nice and quick, but the pc in tow wrapped my right set of lines on my reserve. Through the lines and around the whole set(front and rear line sets).

Sea:ph34r:

We were talking about this exact senerio at the dz this weekend. I was told if you pulled something, ie the pc, but nothing happened you should cutaway first then pull silver to prevent the chance of your main possible releasing into your reserve or something like this. I'm not questioning what you did at all just seeking info and what others think.:)

Have you seen the video from Jeffro, Omar and Jeremy (guys out at Skydvie AZ)...Jeffro uses his, it is the funniest actual use of a hook knive I have ever seen (actually on a flying main parachute)

I think the quiz was rigged....:D

nah... SOMEONE was cheating... ;)

Jeffro, Omar, and Jeremy's video of the use of the hooknife has got to be the most fun way to use the hooknife. For those of you who have not seen the video,I can tell it is hilarious and it did get several votes at the Flyboyz Freefly Film Festival this past Film Festival.

Here is a pretty good could have used one story.

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2668186;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I just started carrying one this past year (came with my Vector 3). I never carried one for the first 179 jumps but I also never used an AAD or RSL then either. I have all three now.;)
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467