Ron

Actual hook Knife use stories.

Well do you have one? Other than cutting rubber bands while packing. (Which BTW don't do...Why dull the knife on BS?)

While I think they are great in theory....
I think that there are very few "live" uses of a hook knife.

Please, share your stories and prove me wrong.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Well do you have one? Other than cutting rubber bands while packing. (Which BTW don't do...Why dull the knife on BS?)

I personally know a guy that used one to cut a steering line looped over an end cell...on a reserve...on a tandem. He was REALLY happy he had it!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I've never used mine, but everyone I know who is a "serious" CrW-dog has whipped it out at least once. And I too know someone who took the hook knife to the reserve, although this one was following a CrW wrap--people who were at WFFC in 2002 saw the video of it.

Outside of CRW - I suspect that the real purpose of a hook-knife is to aid the user in keeping their mind occupied while they plumet to their death under a double-mal.

Yes, I carry one - and no, it's never cut a rubber band.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Nope, never used mine, but I think it's an old carry over from when I jumped round reserves.

I like knowing it's there, just in case I need it.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yes, I carry one, and Yes I have used it. Never in a situation where I needed it to save my life. Only when the test plan called for it.:)
And you are right, cutting bands, pull cords and other shit is a no no.>:(
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

ive got one, never used it though. but someone at my dz used it this past summer.

he had a spinning mal and when he cut away he said one riser didnt release(i think he jsut didnt pull the handle all the way) adn he deployed the reserve. so he had the main attached by one riser and the reserve out. it looked quite ugly from above. he used his hook knife to cut the riser on the main and landed sucessfully under his reserve.

that is the only story i have for hook knives so i hope you guys enjoyed.

Quoting Tonto in another thread :-

Chris's only injury was to his right thumb, which was badly cut when his little plastic orange "zak" knife broke in use.

Lesson here is if you're in so much shit you need a hook knife to save you, carry one which stands a good chance of working when you need it. If you have a "zak" knife, give it to someone you really don't like.

I think it was you that pointed out to me that the new Aerodyne hook knives double as a bottle opener.. I have yet to use mine but am really looking forward to it.. ;)

Hey you gotta give credit where it is due. I am the one that told you it makes a great bottle opener :)
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I think it was you that pointed out to me that the new Aerodyne hook knives double as a bottle opener.. I have yet to use mine but am really looking forward to it.. ;)

Hey you gotta give credit where it is due. I am the one that told you it makes a great bottle opener :)

Ohhh.. yeah.. sorry about that.. Hey.. was that the same day that you got the beer money outta the guy that hurt himself as he plowed over his grandpa? just before he got loaded into the ambulance? :D:ph34r:;) That was classic! :D
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Here's one for ya. A guy deploys into a spinning mal. I think a line over. It's a tandem video jump, so he's got altitude, he goes for his hook knife to clear it (and if anyone could pull this off, it's this guy), and wouldn't you know it, years of non-use have resulted in a snap that doesn't want to let go.

Cutaway, pull reserve. Land without further incident.

Lesson here is if you're in so much shit you need a hook knife to save you, carry one which stands a good chance of working when you need it. If you have a "zak" knife, give it to someone you really don't like.

Even Sunpath got rid of them!;) They went with the plastic knife found here
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So far no one Personally has used one. Tony has and thats kinda close.

We have a few "I know a guy" stories.

I would venture to say that outside of CRW there is not much a use for one. And that most problems could be fixed another way.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

And that most problems could be fixed another way.

True, but one could argue that *most* line twists are kicked out of......:D

Tom hasn't chimed in, but he used one to clear a line over on a BASE jump. I wear one on my BASE rig for the same reason. I wear one on my sport rigs for the times I do fun CRW and the line over on reserve possibility. For $7 it's cheap insurance.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So far no one Personally has used one. Tony has and thats kinda close.

Maybe not, but you were there when I damned near died because I had lost my trusty Zak knife on the previous jump, IIRC. I performed a gunslinger cutaway to avoid having my fingers cut off by the steering line knotted around them, and landed with the main in tow so attached. That hurt.

I now keep a couple of better quality hook knives on every rig. I am also careful to avoid getting caught up in lines whenever clearing my brakes, and otherwise seek to stay clear of entanglements the might require a hook knife to clear.

Like a firearm, it's better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it. When you need one, you need one badly - and it still might not be enough to turn the tide in your favor.

I don't tout it as a panacea, but strongly suggest keeping an operational hook knife on hand and staying in practice with its use. Each safety procedure you have mastered serves to load the dice just a little more in your favor.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Okay, I don’t have a story of my own but I’ve seen the video of a guy that got his foot caught in a looped seat belt on exit and was dangling outside the door. Someone inside the plane pulled out a hook knife and cut the seatbelt. Anyone remember that one and have the link?
I carry 2 hook knives and I doubt I would ever use one under canopy, my best guess is on the plane or maybe on the ground after landing. However, I’d feel better having them and not needing them than the alternative.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP