NottsTom

BPA to USPA Liscense

I am American, but started skydiving and got qualified in the UK. Thus, my FAI Certificate is a British one (the red booklet). Am I locked into a British certificate forever of can I/do i need to switch it to an American one when I move back to the States soon. Don't want to have to keep going back to the UK or finding a BPA CCI to get licenses and stickers signed off.

How would one go about getting a conversion? Is it possible to be double liscensed? Would my FAI number change?

Am I locked into a British certificate forever of can I/do i need to switch it to an American one when I move back to the States soon.

Two suggestions:

1. Ask USPA. They have probably dealt with this before.

2. I've heard that sometimes British jumpers go to other countries for better weather or cheaper jumps, and that some dropzones that aren't in Britain have BPA instructors that can sign off on BPA licenses. I think some of the big DZs in Florida (DeLand?) do this, for example. A US DZ that is set up to do this should be familiar with the differences between BPA and USPA regulations and should be able to advise.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I'm sure BPA would love for you yo continue paying their huge membership fees for life [:/]
When you get back to the States take your log book and license
go to a DZ, join USPA , Instructors will tell you what you need to get your licenses:)

The requirements are slightly different, but an S&TA at a US DZ can help you. Make sure you have signed logs of all your jumps, with what you did in freefall (WARP levels etc) and how far you landed from a target (if you've been doing any accuracy). The USPA "A" licence card can be filled out from those details if you wish to convert. I actually jumped straight to a USPA "D" during a couple of days when I couldn't jump; it was just a matter of filling out the forms.

I'm not sure how it stands if you're an American citizen, but I could always just purchase USPA membership (either full or temporary) and jump on my BPA licence providing it was current (backed up by BPA membership).

Personally, I would get your USPA licence (yes, it will be a different number), and stop paying the BPA. I would keep the BPA FAI booklet though; you should be able to use it if you come back.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

you don't need to be a BPA member to have a licence issued by them. I for example have a licence, and unless I loose it will continue to have one, however may choose to not be a BPA member this time next year. Doesn't stop me having a licence, does stop my membership and hence insurance and hence ability to jump in the UK.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe