floridadiver81

A License question

OK..i looked in the SIM and it states that it is required to have 25 skydives to have enough for the A. It doesnt state what kind of skydives they have to be. Do tandems and static line jumps count as actual skydives towards the license. I know someone cant get an A if they did 25 tandems. So does my tandem count as 1 towards the A? And if i start static line do the first 5 static line jumps count towards the A too? Thank you in advance for any insight you can give me!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

ok..i have the yellow card...but it is signfigantly different when i compare it to the link you jsut gave me. Its the same stuff...i just guess its in a different format.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie

They probably need to be logged in your log book and signed off. I did 2 tandems before AFF, but didn't log them (was too much of a pain to go back and add them after several AFF jumps were logged), so I don't count them towards my total jump numbers. It didn't end up mattering because I was lazy and didn't START filling out my A license card until about 25 jumps anyway :)

Can't stress that enough. Get to going on your proficiency card as soon as you start jumping. I know a few that did not, so they had well enough jumps for the A lic, and had the skill, but did not have their card filled out. So don't waste time, money and effort. Make them all count towards something.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I'm not at all sure about this, and right now I'm too damned lazy to double check. So take this for what it's worth. But I am under the impression that for a license a "skydive" might mean contolled freefall, which just might exclude tandems as they are technically "drogue fall" and there is no real contribution to control. So I doubt a tandem can count toward a total number of jumps when discussing a license. Of course, this doesn't address the SL question, especially those first, short (nearly non-existent) delays. But don't take my word for it.

I'm not at all sure about this, and right now I'm too damned lazy to double check. So take this for what it's worth. But I am under the impression that for a license a "skydive" might mean contolled freefall, which just might exclude tandems as they are technically "drogue fall" and there is no real contribution to control. So I doubt a tandem can count toward a total number of jumps when discussing a license. Of course, this doesn't address the SL question, especially those first, short (nearly non-existent) delays. But don't take my word for it.

With nearly a million jumps and almost a hundreds years in the sport, one would think you'd know the answer and that a USPA national director would probably correct any wrong information on here;):D.

I was under the impression that the only thing that counts toward is the freefall time and not, say, jump numbers toward my A. If I have 6 tandems that does not mean I get to skip the last 6 or first 6 of my AFF training. I still have to do 25 jumps during my AFF training. Am I wrong?

I was under the impression that the only thing that counts toward is the freefall time and not, say, jump numbers toward my A. If I have 6 tandems that does not mean I get to skip the last 6 or first 6 of my AFF training. I still have to do 25 jumps during my AFF training. Am I wrong?

For your A license you need complete the proficency card, of which is a requirement of 25 skydives. Doesn't matter if your first jump(s) are tandems, S/L or AFF. Not sure if anyone told you but you don't have to do AFF to get your class A. There are other methods on which you can start to learn to skydive on your own;).
If you can complete your proficency card where 6 of your 25 are tandems, more power to ya! There is no requirement for freefall time to obtain your class A license. There is, however, freefall requirements to obtain your class A licences. It's hard to do and get signed off on freefall skills if you're not doing freefall by yourself.

Here is the final answer for everyone:

Any and all jumps made from an aircraft during your lifetime count towards the 25 total jumps that you are required to have completed to qualify for a USPA A License. This includes Static Line, IAD, Tandem, Solo, or AFF.

In addition you must either complete the A License Proficiency Card, found here: http://uspa.org/publications/form.pdf/A_Lic_Prof_Card_09-06.pdf

OR, the ISP Progression card, found here: http://www.uspa.org/publications/form.pdf/A_Lic_Prog_Card_ISP_09-06.pdf

The type of card that you use will usually be dictated by the program in use at your DZ.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director
Safety & Training Committee Member

OK..i looked in the SIM and it states that it is required to have 25 skydives to have enough for the A.

Here is something else you may need to understand. 25 jumps is the minimum requirement for an "A" license. Just because you complete 25 jumps, doesn't entitle you to a license.

I think it took me 36-38 jumps for my "A".
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Hey Jason,
Any time you exit an aircraft while in flight, the jump counts. Since you did you Tandem while you were visiting me, it's well within the time line and it counts.

By the way, I just found out that Jenn is being induced today due to comlpications. Sicne I'm towards the end of my deployment, I will not be realeased aerly to fly back to the states.
Brad

For your A license you need complete the proficency card, of which is a requirement of 25 skydives. Doesn't matter if your first jump(s) are tandems, S/L or AFF. Not sure if anyone told you but you don't have to do AFF to get your class A. There are other methods on which you can start to learn to skydive on your own;).
If you can complete your proficency card where 6 of your 25 are tandems, more power to ya! There is no requirement for freefall time to obtain your class A license. There is, however, freefall requirements to obtain your class A licences. It's hard to do and get signed off on freefall skills if you're not doing freefall by yourself.

God, this is driving me monkey shit crazy. There are NO license classes. Just an A license, a B license, a C license and a D license. Are you thinking of SCUBA?

That's what I was told by my DZO. I had done 3 tandem jumps in 1988 and did 3 more last year. When I signed up for AFF they asked me if I wanted to include them in my #' towards my A lic. I didn't, I felt it had been so long ago that I wanted to start from the 1st tandem last year and complete my 25 jumps current. Good to work on completing you proficency card as soon as possible. I was scrambling near the 25th jump to complete my card at the same time. Good luck. Blue skies

So as long as i have the proficiency card completed..and a minimum of 25 skydives and i complete the check dive i will have the A. Thanks michael. I wish USPA would be more specific in the SIM.