msqueen

Injury in skydiving???

I am not a reporter!! My husband has taken up the sport and is on level 3. He is going back and forth about continuing the sport due to the dangers in it. He says that he has a wife and kids responsibilities. I am just trying to find out information for him. I would be doing it myself but I seizures and I lose consciousness, so I am not going to chance it. I do tandums

The best thing for the two of you is to probably have a sit down heart to heart talk about the risks with each other and his instructors.

I don't think it would be fair to claim anything else, I am not experienced enough to attempt to argue that the sport is either dangerous or safe.

I don't think the statistics are going to provide what you are looking for either.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Where can I go to find out how many people have been injuryed or killed skydiving?

Injury is hard to measure becuase so much goes unreported. I believe that the fatality rate is about 1 death for every 100,000 skydives.

See this link for some recent stats:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2749467#2749467
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

If he is concerned about the dangers he should be the one looking for the answers (I am married and a father, thats what I did). With that said, you jump out of a plane at 13,000 feet you must stop the skydive at some point, if you don't, you die, it's very simple.

On the flip side, if you listen to your instructors, take your training seriously, remain current and maintain your gea,r skydiving can be an awesome experience. With that said you can still do everything right and die, thus the reason we are considered an "EXTREME SPORT"

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Make no mistake: skydiving is dangerous. People die skydiving every year. Some through no fault of their own. ALL of us who have been at it for any length of time have lost friends to the sport. Keeping a level head, being properly trained, and knowing our limits are what keep us out of trouble in this sport. For the most part anyway.

Chuck

OK .. maybe I'm confused here .. HE is on Level 3 and HE is going back and forth about continuing and HE says that he has a wife and kids ...

Who is concerned about him continuing in the Sport .. you or HE ?

If HE is concerned about his wife and kids then HE should buy Medical Insurance and Life Insurance to protect the finianical security of his wife and kids ...

If you are concerned about his wife and kids then you need to sit down and talk this out with HE.

Understand that you will never know when this is your last jump or your last car ride or your last swim ... enjoy each day like it will be your last day on earth because it just may be.

If you love something let it go free. If it doesn't come back, you never had it. If it comes back, love it forever. Quote by Doug Horton

Btw ... two weeks after I started jumping by 26 yr old daughter started AFF training also .. and yea it hard because I know the risks .... but I live what I preach.

Just my opinion ....

kmfenaughty - Orlando FL
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

My husband has taken up the sport. He is going back and forth about continuing the sport due to the dangers in it.

The odds of something bad happening to someone like myself are a lot higher than the odds of something bad happening to your hubby. I'm not saying that something bad can't happen to your hubby since nothing at all is safe about all forms of aviation. It's just that in this sport the more experienced you get the more you're likely to push your limits. Dang I never should have applied for that "D" license. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I am not a reporter!! My husband has taken up the sport and is on level 3. He is going back and forth about continuing the sport due to the dangers in it. He says that he has a wife and kids responsibilities. I am just trying to find out information for him. I would be doing it myself but I seizures and I lose consciousness, so I am not going to chance it. I do tandums

While not safe, skydiving can be as dangerous as you make it. Jumping smaller parachutes, making agressive landing approaches, and opening lower are things you can choose to do to make it more dangerous. Not getting formal training in flying parachutes, not using all of the safety equipment (AAD, redundant altimeters, helmet), and not staying current are some of the things you can let happen which makes it more dangerous.

i drive a car every day hell i walk down the street every day and even if i do everything correctly i can still die from it

i feel that we need to drop this extreme sport mind set

back in the day yes extreme sport applied the gear was as un reliable as it could be being that 99% was military surplus but now if you follow the rules and keep a sensable mind skydiving is extremely safe

now if i hear one person say ime nuts i am refering to statictics

you are more likely to die driving than skydiving

in fact thte last time i checked 1 in 66 000 car rides ends in fatality

bee sting is 1 in 87000

umm let see

peanut is 1 in 90000

yea peanut (damn allergy)

but ok allergys are a bad example

walking down the street 1 in 180 000

thats higher but ok you are just walking

ooooo here is one

base ball 1 in 67000

wow thats an extreme sport just to think i could die from a freaking base ball statictaly more likely than a skydive
now given the sheet i am reading off of is from 2003 but i dont have a newer census record

skydiving is on here its 1 in 87000

as for in jurys i sprained my ankel at work last week and broke my leg slipping on ice 2 years ago so yea i figure skydiving is fairly safe its only the last milimeter that is really painfull

you are more likely to die driving than skydiving

Maybe, but if you drive and skydive your overall risk is increased.

bee sting is 1 in 87000

So then if you skydive, your risk of dying from a bee sting stays constant and you add the risk from skydiving, right?

walking down the street 1 in 180 000

So then walking down the street and then skydiving increases your risk.

If you're trying to convince anyone that because other things also involve risk, then skydiving does not involve additional risk, your logic is flawed.
Owned by Remi #?

>you are more likely to die driving than skydiving

Any skydiver is far more likely to die skydiving than driving. Comparing an average skydiver who makes 100 jumps a year to an average driver who drives 20K miles a year, you are roughly three times more likely to die skydiving.

This is borne out by the fatalities of the people I know who have died over the past few years. Most have been skydivers dying in the sport; none have been traffic accidents. A few have been heart attacks and the like.

"It's safer than driving!" can indeed help separate whuffos from their money, but doesn't reflect the reality of the sort of risks we take.

fsantastic a skydiver who thinks that instead of participating an a relativ statistacly safe sport he is engaging in a death defying stunt

comeon ime not using hte basic its safer than driving but i look at numbers

and no a skydiver isnt more likely to die skydiving than he or she is driving otherwise this logic will stat that ALL skydivers who activly skydive untill they die in some way will die skydiving

of over a million jups 29 deaths

numbers speek louder than drunken wana bee stunt junkies

and then if you look at thoes deaths how many were user error in a sensible situation

fine i will agree thoes jumping 96 velocitys are more at risk that me who will jump a 190 for the rest of my life

but as i did say if you are sensible just like if you are sensible driving you are less likely to die jumping

however being that you do jump it adds another meathod of death

so fine

someone like me who hang glides bune jumps scuba ski drive swim walk, fly an extra 300 and rock climbs is more likely to die from one of thoes than people that only walk

but i am more lilkely to die during scuba than sky diving
and i am

STATISTACLY more likely to die in a car crash

again STATISTICS are math not your inana pea sized brain wanting to think you are defying death

STATISTICS are facts STATISTICS are like the equation 2+2 = 4

you are saying 2+2=99

i mean are you trying to scare people away do you get an ego boost thinking you are a god and defied death one more time every time you jump

because we are a small community because we create this stigma because we know thoes who fall because some skygods like to give themselves false egos people ignor statistics

oh and for thoes that jump to the well more people drive than skydive

all thoes statistics are based on a percapita census of the number of drives to death not number of people who drive and die

it is 1 in 87000 skydives end in death

1 in 66 000 drives ends in death

as for can you increase your risk

yes but again if you are sensible and consiverative skydiving is statistacly a safe sport

pardon the spelling i am typing in a rush on a cellphone it isnt easy

STATISTICS are math not your inana pea sized brain wanting to think you are defying death

STATISTICS are facts STATISTICS are like the equation 2+2 = 4

No they're not, they are a form of manupilated propaganda,
Most statistics can be shown to favor whatever position you are trying to cheer for.
For exaple, how about comparing the number of licensed drivers in the US to the number of fatalities and then the number of active skydivers to the number of skydiving fatalities. THAT statistic will show you skydiving is incredibly more dangerous than driving!

i mean are you trying to scare people away do you get an ego boost thinking you are a god and defied death one more time every time you jump

I don't think you have any grasp of the person you're belittling here.

because we are a small community because we create this stigma because we know thoes who fall because some skygods like to give themselves false egos people ignor statistics

We are indeed a small community, but not BECAUSE of the reasons you listed.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i wasnt attempting to be little you

as for statistics

i did point out when you break it down to the actual number of the particular event and create the statistic that way the number of people participating is irrelivant

just beacuse 1 million people are doing a prticular event dosent have any play on an event statistic

what you are refering to is a patricipant statistic

which would be wordered differently

example 1 in 10 skydivers die
(not a real statistic since this would be a horribly unreliable example of the dangers of an event)

but i am arguing an event statistic just because more people drive than skydive dosent mean that that the 1 in 87000 statistic will diive to 1 in 50000
but tecnicaly it should remain the same if simipar patterns that are currently in play continue

now as for ( mean are you trying to scare people away do you get an ego boost thinking you are a god and defied death one more time every time you jump

I don't think you have any grasp of the person you're belittling here. ) that statement

thankyou for proving my point

obviouslly you have a supority complex atleast according to the psycological theory thats where that responce lies

i didnt howver mean to belittle you this was a shotgun statement aimed at thoes that want to justify the thought that they defiy god life or whatever they believe in and they are more powerful and more in controll of their life untill they bite the bullet , bounce whatever

all i simply stated is aside from the consipracy hippy like statement (No they're not, they are a form of manupilated propaganda,
Most statistics can be shown to favor whatever position you are trying to cheer for.
For exaple, how about comparing the number of licensed drivers in the US to the number of fatalities and then the number of active skydivers to the number of skydiving fatalities. THAT statistic will show you skydiving is incredibly more dangerous than driving!
) implying the goverment padds crap to get people to kill themselves off or whatever

statistacly on an event based formula

in other words
number of deaths from event / number of events that took place

skydiving is safer

and as with driving bee sting skiing scuba ect

the more you engage in the event the more at risk you are of dying from it

if you jump once a week for 300 days you are less likely to die than the one jumping 1000 times a week

(exaggeration of jumps but i hope you get my point)

as for me befor eyou submit me to an idiot

my major in college was abnormal psycology
and my minor was statistical analisys

I understand that...your 1st post wasn't even directed at me. :$
(good move editing out the PA by the way! ;))

And as to the post that is directed at me...:ph34r:

>>>"my major in college was abnormal psycology
and my minor was statistical analisys"

YOU have made my point blatently obvious, thank you. :S

You're dismissed. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I understand that...your 1st post wasn't even directed at me. :$
(good move editing out the PA by the way! ;))

And as to the post that is directed at me...:ph34r:

YOU have made my point blatently obvious, thank you. :S

You're dismissed. :ph34r:

love the dismissed i am debating you are directing typical signs of a egotistical narcissatic control disorder

:) not to be mean but just call them as i see them

my major in college was abnormal psychology
and my minor was statistical analisys

It is too bad that you decided to skip your freshman English classes. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P